Quick Update: phpBB 3.2

edited July 2017 in News & Announcements
To give you a quick update of what was announced at the beginning of the year here, the phpBB 3.2 theme for WinWorld is mostly complete, with the user facing parts of the theme mostly complete, with the search pages, moderator control panel and profile page being the last few that require major attention. I anticipate these remaining pages requiring a few hours worth of work, ~12 ish if I'm being conservative about it, and then a cycle of refinement on certain areas. I'm going to make an effort to squeeze this time in sooner rather than later, so this can be concluded within a few weeks.

For right now, you are all welcome and requested to go to https://winworldpc.com/phpBB3/ and pollute the place. I mean that half literally, please keep anything posted free of hate/troll speech or shock images (we don't want anything gross appearing in Google folks), but do try and utilize every feature of the boards - PM's (to 'stitch' especially), PM reports, post reports, polls, attachments, replies, etc... so that I can make sure that all areas of the theme get the proper attention that it deserves. This does not use WinWorld SSO, you will need to create a new account and all content on this new forum will be lost entirely upon conclusion of the test and roll-out onto the main database.

I am not looking for any specific bug reports currently, I'm aware of most of what's there currently; once I have concluded my refinement period I will open this thread up to bug reports.

Thanks!

Comments

• Looking nice. I don't really see how to do polls in there, but I just had a quick glance.

You should fix the Winboards link under the community tab to point from:
    https://winworldpc.com/phpBB3

to
    https://winworldpc.com/phpBB3/

• Are the rows supposed to have so much empty space?

https://winworldpc.com/res/img/spotligh ... pacing.png
  • Works fine on Edge and IE - how old is that version of Pale Moon? IIRC they dropped support for XP a long time ago, well before Firefox did. (In fact, I'm pretty sure the latest FF runs on XP anyways - it just wants SSE2.)
  • This comes up when trying to edit global board settings (email, timezone, date format, etc.)

MbrndzM.png
  • There is no problem for me to work well for me with FireFox.
  • Please enable PM functionality for me so that I can test it out.

OJVTNuN.png

Thanks.
  • The problem I see with the wasted space occurs even with the latest firefox. The page seems to switch to a "mobile" layout if the window is not run at full screen, and using zoom out didn't seem to make any difference. Perhaps tweek the width at which this happens down to about 800 pixels or so.

At any rate, it hardly looks or feels like a PHPBB board any more.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    The problem I see with the wasted space occurs even with the latest firefox. The page seems to switch to a "mobile" layout if the window is not run at full screen, and using zoom out didn't seem to make any difference. Perhaps tweek the width at which this happens down to about 800 pixels or so.

It looks bad on mobile Chrome, too. Everything's kind of jumbled together. It's harder to navigate as well. I also miss each topic having a big colored checkmark next to it to tell if it's been read or not.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Be glad it isn't like ProBoards.

Anyway, it looks good for me so far but I haven't got round to signing up there to test the new features it has to offer yet. I may soon.
  • I cannot report a post; clicking on the REPORT POST button returns a 404 Not Found error.

(Don't worry, there wasn't any objectionable content; I was just testing that function)
  • SomeGuy what you are seeing is the "mobile" layout and is a specific part that is subject to further refinements. For you at your resolution, that *should* be displaying the desktop oriented table layout (which has had the most attention so far).

The checkboxes are gone currently because I am working on replacing them with colored icons from font awesome. They will certainly be a part of the final product.

The report post function is broken and I'm aware of it. I need to get some nginx rules working properly with that. My attempts at this earlier is what broke the search (among other things?).
  • To give you a further update on this the moderator control panel is mostly complete, and the search pages require some attention, afterwords it's some minor refinements. Hoping to have this completed soon :3
  • I have noticed that the site in Firefox2/Seamonkey 1.1 is broken and I can hardly use it. Is there any compatibility mode or something? I couldn't even register without using FF3.6.
  • Does the site even work on such old browsers? We use TLS v1.2 for security, which basically kicks out anything pre-2012.

If you want to access the library, old.winworldpc.com works.
  • Yes, I use SeaMonkey 1.1.20pre and the current PHPBB looks perfect. The library pages have some glitches but are usable. The new test PHPBB loads but gets stuck with the hideous mobile view, even with a maximized window.

Also BTW, I still get the space wasting mobile lauout with the latest Firefox/Palemoon unless it is run in full screen. An unlike most consumertards, I don't run stuff full screen and actually do multiple things at once.
  • SomeGuy what's your screen resolution?

Latest Firefox is rendering it fine for me
  • It just good old standard 1024*768.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    It just good old standard 1024*768.

The question is *why*.

I could get literally *nothing* done on 1024x768.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    It just good old standard 1024*768.

Good? Not really

Old? Yes

Standard? It was...
  • https://scotch.io/tutorials/understandi ... grid-sizes

I can not adjust it much smaller without it being awkward on phones. Right now the mobile layout triggers on xs and sm. Even if I took out sm it would still force the layout on a windowed browser at your total available resolution.

Seriously, SomeGuy, I understand how you're resistant to new technology, but 1024x768 was useful in 1994. We have had over 20 years of display progression; embrace it. Even without "getting with the times" you could still find significantly more resolution and workspace in 10 year old stuff.
  • If you really need to know, I use a CRT due to vision issues. When I use any common LCD screen, even when I turn it down as far as it will go, I see vitreous floaters all over the place. Makes it damn hard to read. But with my CRTs, I don't have that problem.

I've been told that there are some LCD/flat panel monitors that supposedly better in that regard, but I have yet to see any. Every time I go to Microcenter I browse the displays hoping for something better, but I am always disappointed.

I know, I know. I'm less than 1% = not supported. I should just do what everyone has been telling me all these years and just kill myself so nobody has to put up with anything different.

Just went through similar damn shit with my new air conditioner. Apparently only the cheapest thermostats have buttons any more. If you want something like, humidity control or actual compatiblity with the blower, I have to have a "smart" piece of shit with a bright LCD touch screen and that I can't read or feel in the middle of the night, all filled with seizure inducing wild animations! I could go on and on, but I no nobody cares.
  • You really need to try a high DPI display. I know a regular TFT LCD does not scale down from it's "native" resolution very well, but a high DPI display on a high DPI aware OS will be nice and crisp. It really requires going to Windows 8.1, new enough OS X or something on Linux with GTK+3 or Qt 5.6+

It's still kind of spotty in the standalone display market, but there's several laptops with lovely high-DPI displays. My 15" MBP works with WW fine windowed when the scaling is set to one bigger than native design; fonts are very crisp and readable.
  • Have you also tried colour gamma related things? I find a lot of eye strain is related to blue light, and tools like f.lux and Redshift can adjust them at the proper times for sleep schedules.

There's also PWM concerns that can cause flicker and thus eye strain, and refresh rates as well.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Have you also tried colour gamma related things? I find a lot of eye strain is related to blue light, and tools like f.lux and Redshift can adjust them at the proper times for sleep schedules.

There's also PWM concerns that can cause flicker and thus eye strain, and refresh rates as well.

If I ever quit f.lux while it's dark/nighttime my eyes are always like "oh dear god kill me now"
  • And AFAIK, f.lux (as of 3.12) still works on decrepit Windows too - my dualie P2 is running the latest f.lux fine on Windows 2000.
  • High DPI on windows still sucks.

8.x and 10 have improved it, but it's still this odd hodgepodge mix of old and new... like MMC doesn't scale well at all, but modern apps usually do alright.

Haven't really used it on Linux though, so can't say for sure. The brief amount I've seen on OS X looks alright.
  • Linux requires modern toolkits and a more recent X (or wayland, but different story). Otherwise it can be a trainwreck.

It's pretty good on MacOS though, honestly.
  • stitch wrote:
    ampharos wrote:
    Have you also tried colour gamma related things? I find a lot of eye strain is related to blue light, and tools like f.lux and Redshift can adjust them at the proper times for sleep schedules.

If I ever quit f.lux while it's dark/nighttime my eyes are always like "oh dear god kill me now"

Makes me wish that Apple could allow Night Shift (Apple's version of f.lux) on my iPhone 5. It's currently only supported on the 5s and newer.

I actually keep Night Shift on all the time on my MacBook Pro. Without it I am scared that my vision would deteriorate further (I wear glasses).
  • I think we need to split this thread. A discussion about SomeGuy's screen resolution is not exactly related to the new forum theme.

@SomeGuy: Why don't you try searching eBay or somewhere for a higher resolution CRT? One of my family members used to have a 1280x960 (I think) CRT with his computer. It would be worth a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file