SimCity

edited July 2017 in Software
I've got SimCity 3000 Unlimited (one of my favorites) on disk and the library only appears to have non-unlimited for Linux. Is this too new to be considered abandonware? I don't want to cause any copyright issues, in fact I have a large collection of games I could upload, Pokemon Play It, Sim Theme Park, etc...

Comments

• Games are trickier because they often still have value even when obsolete - sites like GOG.com and Steam sell new copies, and the money goes to the current copyright holder. Generally, if it's not sold new on storefronts or is a SPECIFIC version that they don't have (like the Linux version) AND falls within the site's scope, it could go on. It's ultimately up to our discretion as administrators though.
  • Sold on GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/simcity_3000

EA enforces the SimCity IP copyright. Don't upload it.
  • Someone should upload Zoo Tycoon 1 Complete Collection, can't seem to find it anywhere and my discs are too scratched to play :(

It's a Microsoft IP, is not on GOG... or... anywhere.
  • I'm so tried of hearing about GOG and steam. Who cares, all you gotta do is look in the right places ;) , I got a shit ton of SimCity 3000 Releases here on google on archive.org, and for the zoo tycoon. Here is that game as well at archive.org. Seriously, if its on archive.org then its most likely safe to download since it is held in the public domain.
  • More the fact the IA doesn't give a fuck about IP laws.

edit: Or, more accurately: They archive absolutely anything with no concern or standards. Jason Scott will image AOL CDs. AOL CDs!
  • birdy wrote:
    I'm so tried of hearing about GOG and steam. Who cares, all you gotta do is look in the right places ;) , I got a shit ton of SimCity 3000 Releases here on google on archive.org, and for the zoo tycoon. Here is that game as well at archive.org. Seriously, if its on archive.org then its most likely safe to download since it is held in the public domain.
    The fact that things are uploaded on Archive.org doesn't mean that it was done so with permission...
  • Internet Archive is a special case. The government deliberately turns a blind eye to it. They have an exemption from the Copyright Act. Notice how a certain productivity suite got DMCA'd off WinWorld but is happily available from archive.org? This is just one example out of many and I understand that said program isn't a game, but the same rule applies. No, it may not have been done with permission, but if even the U.S. government is protecting Internet Archive's actions, it's probably safe there.
  • I don't care if it was done with permission or not, If I can download it, I will download it.

I'm not above piracy. Arr Matey!
  • There is No reason to upload Simcity 3000 on WW.
    This game is still sold.

I recommend to buy it from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    There is No reason to upload Simcity 3000 on WW.
    This game is still sold.

I recommend to buy it from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0
    ibmpc5150 is right. This is the kind of thing the Archive can handle better than WinWorld. If you wouldn't mind, please upload there for preservation.