What Cf card to use with IDE adapter?

edited August 2017 in Hardware
What is the best Cf card to use when you want to use it as a IDE hard drive replacement? I was thinking of getting a industrial CF card since they only work as a Fixed device, I don't want to get a Cf card that can't be set as a fixed disk. Does it really matter if it only views as Removable. I want to use it on a windows 98 machine , But I am wondering will windows 98 or anything that runs on DOS install to a removable disk CF card , unlike that windows xp will not . There are too many to pick from, there is Lexar, Komputerbay , sandisk and many many many others. I did try a Komputerbay Cf card once with a different computer couldn't even get it to work, Also a Komputerbay Cf card is actually a Lexar Cf card that has been rejected for not being up to spec with Lexar. Does anyone have any recommendations for me ? Would it be better to just use a industrial CF card?

Comments

• Your first mistake was knowingly purchasing a chink reject card and expecting good results.

Take a look: here. This site was helpful when I was placing a flash card in my x41t.
  • Your first mistake was knowingly purchasing a chink reject card and expecting good results.

Take a look: here. This site was helpful when I was placing a flash card in my x41t.

I actually didn't know it at first, I found out after I bought it , After someone posted on reddit , that Komputerbay Cf card was a rejected Lexar card. The speed of Komputerbay cards aren't really that bad. This is one of them, and if you look at the image , they show a speed test for it. Don't know why they won't work in a CF to IDE, I emailed them and they say they do work, I have tried many different adapters and nothing. Going to try to use a different Cf card. I am using it on a IDE controller only compatible with PIO-4 , so like 18 MB/S read and write , Should I get something only that speed, or will anything faster work, But I do understand I will only get 18 MB/S speeds.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Komputerbay-32GB-High-Speed-Compact-Flash-CF-266X-Ultra-High-Speed-Card-36MB-s-Write-and-37MB-s-Read-UDMA/47466638
  • You are right to think carefully about choosing a CF card. There are plenty of counterfeits around, especially if you buy online. The capacity might be smaller than stated too.

I just keep using IDE hard drives. I've had one failure but they're cheap enough and common enough around the capacity that you want. The speed seems fine too but I haven't compared a mid 2000s IDE hard drive with a CF card.