A Stroke of Genious

edited August 2017 in Software
Recently, my Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 (P3 800mhz) 512mb RAM, needed to be formatted and set up again, as I just realised I installed it in a way that i only recognised 2 gigs of the 20gig hard disk.

Anyways, I installed Windows 98 FE off of the CD I have, then installed USB drivers, copied the 98 FE to SE files onto it, copied it onto the hard disk and ran setup from there. - It worked.

I then resized the partition with a partition tool, and gave it 6GIGS, as I want 12 gigs for my second OS I want to dual-boot it with Windows XP.

I copied the XP SP3 Files onto a USB, then onto the hard disk, and ran setup from there. It worked.

I am going to have both 98SE and XP on here which is good because I need Windows 98 and real DOS mode, and I also need XP.

Killing to birds with one stone.

It allows me to use software requiring at least XP, while also being able to use DOS programs and older Windows programs, on only a single machine.

Comments

• Neat, but try XP SP2 as it will require less of the hardware, and can run most XP programs.
    I actually have a notebook, a IBM x31, that is capable of this...
  • WOW!

XP finished installing, and it already has all the sound and video and LAN drivers I need installed!

EDIT: Hmmm, for some reason Windows XP doesn't wanna play audio cd's, but Windows 98 is having no problem blasting them good old 90's Marilyn Manson tunes.

It's not a hardware issue for sure, but a software issue. But why would one OS have trouble with a music CD and an older OS not have any issues?
  • XP always did have very good driver support.

What happens when you try to play a CD? What software are you using? I don't think XP came with a standalone CD player program like 2000 and prior did.
  • nick99nack wrote:
    XP always did have very good driver support.

What happens when you try to play a CD? What software are you using? I don't think XP came with a standalone CD player program like 2000 and prior did.

Windows Media Player.

It keeps on trying to seek the track, I can hear the drive working, but it never finds it for long enough to play.
  • I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but I believe Windows 98 defaults to using analog connections to play audio CDs, while XP defaults to digital. I don't know if that makes a difference as to how it reads it, but you can change that setting in device manager and see if it works.
  • nick99nack wrote:
    I'm not sure if this will make a difference, but I believe Windows 98 defaults to using analog connections to play audio CDs, while XP defaults to digital. I don't know if that makes a difference as to how it reads it, but you can change that setting in device manager and see if it works.

I would but I already replaced XP with Windows 2000, which is better considering I only needed XP to run one program which also runs on 2000, and 2000 is a good fir for a Pentium 3 System from the year 2000.

So I know have 98SE and 2000 dual-booted.

98SE has 6GB, while 2000 has 12.

that's the most possible as I had 98SE first, then changed the partition size and set up XP and then 2000 in the free space that was created.
  • @Twiggy said:
    nick99nack wrote:

XP always did have very good driver support.

Windows Media Player.

It keeps on trying to seek the track, I can hear the drive working, but it never finds it for long enough to play.

Have you tried specifically looking for updated audio CD drivers for XP, just in case? Just wondering because I've got an XP Pro VM running in VirtualBox on my Windows 8.1 Acer Aspire V5 122P, and it plays audio CDs fine in WMP right out of the box...