how do you install OS\2 with out a floppy drive

edited August 2017 in Software
I am trying to install OS\2 on my IBM THINKPAD T22 it has a CD-RW drive and a 6.5 gig hard disk it needs a docking station to connect a floppy drive to it. all i have is a USB floppy drive

Comments

• Most older computers can't boot from usb, so you are going to have to use a cd , A bootloader does exist that allows you to boot from a usb if the bios doesn't allow it , but it is a floppy image , But the way that a cd boots is of course with a floppy image , there is a hidden folder in a bootable cd that had a bootable floppy image , which is the way that a cd can boot. Its this bootloader called plop [urlhttps://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html][/url] , I do not remember if it has a cd iso with the bootloader , but you can make one yourself , using any program that allows you to make cd images , you can make a bootable cd image using the floppy image. I believe plop will boot a usb floppy not totally sure , but I know it will boot a usb flash drive.
  • If the floppy images are "normal" 1.44 MB and the USB floppy drive is supported in the firmware, then you can probably boot from it.
  • The ThinkPad T22 can boot from USB devices. Just attach the USB floppy drive and hit F12 at BIOS screen.
  • well ive got it to boot to the usb floppy disk drive and it boots but when I insert disk 02 it gives me an error message that it is unable to configure my hardisk or floppy disk drive ive done some research and apparently you need a real drive and i prefer not to salvage a docking station and diskette drive to install OS\2
  • how do install os/2 with out a diskette drive all i have is a usb diskette drive and when i install it it give me an error message saying os/2 is unable to configure the hardisk or floppy drive please reboot your computer by the use of control alt delete or by pressing the reset switch. my specs are as shown i have an ibm thinkpad t22 900mhz pentuim 3 ,cdrw drive , a 6.5 gig hardisk i use install os/2 and last is an overkill of 256 mb ram and 8 megs of vram
  • Um, OS/2 won't install on a system with more than 64 MB of RAM and I think a 6.5 GB hard drive requires special install disks. http://www.warpdoctor.org/downloads.html has install disks that allow Warp to be placed on a Thinkpad with larger than 4 GB hard disk.

USB floppy drives won't handle the IBM XDF format used on most OS/2 floppies. After the install starts, hope the CD drive works.

Note that the system you are installing on is capable enough to run Warp in a virtual machine which would save you a lot of grief trying to run an OS with drivers more than 5 years older than the hardware.
  • Um... What version?
    I use warp 4.52 just fine on a near-stock IBM ThinkPad type 2885 (x31) ("60"GB hdd)
    IT HAS 512 OF RAM!
    Frankly, OS/2 is a monster on that thing
    (looks over at os/2 with 6 WIN-OS/2 sessions, 8 apps, and 3 explorer windows open)

• Years ago I had rigged a CD-ROM with MS-DOS that would boot up, I'd format the disk with 2 partitions, and install MS-DOS into the first partition, boot up DOS, and then use the restore command to restore my OS/2 install onto DOS. Naturally there is no extended attributes, so to cheat I had another backup of my OS/2 install done in OS/2 on the 2nd partition, then use the dual boot feature of OS/2 to boot up to cmd.exe

Now in a minimal OS/2 boot, I could then restore my full OS/2 install, reboot and I had restored OS/2 with all the EA's onto a fat disk.

the same methodology works for OS/2 1.21 as well, Just a shame there is no 'convert' program to convert FAT to HPFS.