Cant boot windows 95.

I have downloaded a CD image for windows 95 OSR 2.5 but I can't boot it. the windows 95 section of the software download page says to go to Microsoft Windows boot disks if there is no floppy image available, but when I click on the windows 95 tab, there's nothing there to download. somebody help me please.

Comments

• CD images of Windows 95 are not bootable. They are only upgrade discs.

Under the Windows 95 OSR2 page, there's a floppy image that should work.

• The floppy image is for osr 2.0 but I'm trying to install 2.5. will it still work?

• @koen01 said:
    The floppy image is for osr 2.0 but I'm trying to install 2.5. will it still work?

Yes.

• Im new to this so bear with me. I wasn't aware people were still using win95 How are they able to utilise the newest software or even any of the current web browsers? Im fascinated

• @jaerael said:
    How are they able to utilise the newest software or even any of the current web browsers? Im fascinated

They can't use the newest software, but they can install some old software.

• @jaerael
    People still use Windows 95 primarily to run really old software that was never updated or for nostalgia. This really shouldn't be connected to the internet unless you know what you're doing as there have been no security updates since it went out of support.
  • Strangely enough, IE5 can display google just fine, but in IE6 its dead,

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:
    Strangely enough, IE5 can display google just fine, but in IE6 its dead,

Yeah...

• @jaerael said:
    Im new to this so bear with me. I wasn't aware people were still using win95 How are they able to utilise the newest software or even any of the current web browsers? Im fascinated

Some people do this just for a hoobie or for fun. Some people use it to use older software or games that they can’t use on newer operating systems.

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:
    Strangely enough, IE5 can display google just fine, but in IE6 its dead,

It's a problem with Google's SSL setup. Google automatically assumes IE6=Windows XP (with SP3), so it forces a newer SSL version than what the older OSes can support. IE5 and below=no SSL.

As for Windows 95 not booting, I believe if you install OSR2, there is a bootable CD of that. Then you can install a few updates to get to what OSR2.5 comes with. Install IE4 to get the Windows 98-style "webby" desktop.