Windows 3.1 emulated in DosBox

edited January 2007 in Software
hehe ever wanted to be able to use Windows 3.1 in Dos in Windows XP? Lol sounds funny doesn't it?

Check out dosbox.sourceforge.net or mypixels.dk/forums

I was able to get Windows 3.1 to think it was the only windows on the HD and it boots up quite nicely. DosBox also emulates sound so it supports the old soundblaster drivers too so you can get sound in Windows :).

Besides that it can emulate many other things in general dos usage like games and apps. But it's definately not gonna be doing everything any time soon. But it's doing many things quite well. I was able to play minesweeper and soliatire in the old Win3.1.

Thanks Guys for having this service available.

Comments

• Hey, that's pretty cool. But I'll still use VPC or Bochs to run my old games.
  • What I did to use 3.1 on my machine is I made a live cd. It works great!
  • neat idea. does ithave drivers for cdrom?
  • What you do it get a DOS 6.22 CD-ROM bootdisk.

Use Nero to make it a CD

make sure the 3.1 files are there, modify your install so that SWAP is disabled or configured to use something else.

Also make MSDEX make your CD-ROM like X or something then go to like X:\WIN un AUTOEXEC.BAT
  • Ohh now I get it.
  • It wont run on my 95. It should be burned at the stake.
  • is it possible to mount images (ISO or floppy images) in DOS-box?
  • What I did to use 3.1 on my machine is I made a live cd. It works great!

Whoa..... That was posted before i was a member...and kept missing the other a in indiana.
  • eugrus wrote:
    is it possible to mount images (ISO or floppy images) in DOS-box?
    It is possable to mount the images but to boot... you could make a home brewed version of dos box that autimatically mounts those images... You might as well use Boch... I made a version coustom version of dos box for mac os x (using some one else souce) that boots a windows 1.1 image... sadly the version was deleted when I had to re-image my computer :redhotevil:
  • will the Windows 3.1 restore utility run in DosBox? I have some old backups I need to restore. What would be the best way to do that?
  • Can we adjust the themes so the dates are like size 300 or something?
  • BOD wrote:
    Can we adjust the themes so the dates are like size 300 or something?

lmao.
  • Bash wrote:
    BOD wrote:

lmao.
    BOD wrote:
  • Oh... Whoops.