Installation of Vista

QQ
edited February 2007 in Software
I really screwed up. Right now I'm in IE 6 SP1 running Windows Update and downloading the offline installer to SP2. Here's how THAT came to pass:

I write 4 Vista install CDs and restart the system. After having deleted the old XP partition and started the file copy, it turns out there were ... 5 CDs (I found THAT out at 98%).

So I cancel and try and install 2000 so I can write the 5th image, but during install 2000 sees the F: drive as being "damaged or corrupt", so I quickly drop that for XP Pro corp (x64), which I always wanted to use even if only for a few minutes. That doesn't take the # I give it, and neither does the x86 one! I check the key I used on BlacIII and discover that the one I was using were some nonsense. I get XP installed.

Now XP SP1 doesn't recognize SATA OR my network (Only that annoying "1394 Net Adapter"), so I have to use the systemboard CD to install both, and it STILL doesn't recognize my SATA! Now I'm installing SP2 so I can install all the other updates and get the ISO off the D: and write it via (What certainly SHOULD work) the external CD drive.

Aargh, only 2% away...

Although on the plus side I was given the option of which edition of WVI I wanted to install. I selected Buissiness N for all that mattered. Is there anything more to Ultimate that I should've gone for?

-Q

Comments

• AARGH!!!!!!!!!

It turns I only got 4 CDs! There WAS no CD 5 so I'm DOOMED!

-Q
  • There IS a fifth cd, contact me if you want it.
    I have the MSDN downloader somewhere. It's like 52mb or something.

I have the Vista Business edition, I'm not sure what version you are using, and I don't know if it will work, but it's worth the try.
  • YES! YES I DO! THANX YOU!

-Q
  • Alright, side note, I have to say, I LOVE the fact that Vista has an "AutoPlay" control panel when you can DISABLE IT!

-Q
  • Blech. Leave it to Microsoft. It turns out the "Windows Experience Index" doesn't work in the "N" versions of Vista because they removed the WMP and took the necessary multimedia system components with it!

-Q
  • Why install anything other than Ultimate? Besides, only Ultimate has BitLocker!
  • ...which I'm never going to use and probably can't anyway.

-Q
  • ka0s wrote:
    Why install anything other than Ultimate? Besides, only Ultimate has BitLocker!

Because I got two Vista Business licences for FREE. So no need to look for another key or crack when the first SP comes out. Besides that, Business perfectly suits my needs. I don't need the MCE crap or whatever comes with it.

I have an Experience index of 3.8 btw.
  • I installed "Ultimate" SOLELY so I could get rid of that annoying "Anytime Upgrade" in the Control Panel.

Anyway WEI/WinSAT works perfectly now and strangely enough so does the sound...?

-Q