Dropping the signature bomb

QQ
edited March 2007 in News & Announcements
Fish and Duff consulted, and then Fish consulted me and I agreed that the current signature size limit is WAY to permissive (2550 characters). For the record, the following
Mr President
The great events on which my resignation depended having at length taken place; I have now the honor of offering my sincere Congratulations to Congress and of presenting myself before them to surrender into their hands the trust committed to me, and to claim the indulgence of retiring from the Service of my Country.
Happy in the confirmation of our Independence and Sovereignty, and pleased with the oppertunity afforded the United States of becoming a respectable Nation, I resign with satisfaction the Appointment I accepted with diffidence. A diffidence in my abilities to accomplish so arduous a task, which however was superseded by a confidence in the rectitude of our Cause, the support of the supreme Power of the Union, and the patronage of Heaven.
The Successful termination of the War has verified the most sanguine expectations, and my gratitude for the interposition of Providence, and the assistance I have received from my Countrymen, encreases with every review of the momentous Contest.
While I repeat my obligations to the Army in general, I should do injustice to my own feelings not to acknowledge in this place the peculiar Services and distinguished merits of the Gentlemen who have been attached to my person during the War. It was impossible the choice of confidential Officers to compose my family should have been more fortunate. Permit me Sir, to recommend in particular those, who have continued in Service to the present moment, as worthy of the favorable notice and patronage of Congress.
I consider it an indispensable duty to close this last solemn act of my Official life, by commending the Interests of our dearest Country to the protection of Almighty God, and those who have the superintendence of them, to his holy keeping.
Having now finished the work assigned to me, I retire from the great theatre of Action; and bidding an Affectionate farewell to this August body under whose orders I have so long acted, I here offer my Commission, and take my leave of all the employments of public life.

Is 2040 words and FAR too long for a signature. Fish suggested something in the area of 500 to 250 characters. I'm undecided as to the limit, but agree to something in that area.

Fish and I also decided to give warning to everyone before doing this, although in retrospect I think we all would know if someone was misusing this to the point of being endangered by this reduction.

-Q

Comments

• FedeVista has a very long signature
  • ...thanks Captain Obvious.
  • I would suggest that that last comment was a little more abrasive then necessary.

Anyway, FV's signature is images and would still probably fall under the 250 char limit. I'll talk with him and suggest a reduction in the number of images, or the size of them.

-Q
  • Duff wrote:
    ...thanks Captain Obvious.

Call me The Crimson Avenger
  • Anyrate, all this notwithstanding, is like 500 characters too little for anyone?

-Q
  • No other users have long signatures.
  • alexzarach wrote:
    No other users have long signatures.
    I think yours is probably the second longest.

Thump
  • "Long" is fairly relative here. On 800*600 his is fine, although the spywire one isn't that useful to me.

-Q
  • Which should I keep? Sigx only works well on Windows, my Tiny has died. I only have a mac left.
  • SigX is cool in that it gives you the stats of your system, so people can quickly refer to it, the spywire one is just the infos of the person viewing it, which is pretty much useless.

-Q
  • Sigx have a mac client.
  • Should I keep both, as I'm getting a 'new' (9x/2000) laptop? I doubt it's the 2nd longest signature.
  • Keep SigX if you want, but IMAO, the spywire one is useless.

-Q
  • Excellent, only the ath.cx seems to be not working now.

-Q
  • edited March 2007
    The Mac laptop overheated and is now off until tomorrow at 7pm gmt. I will move the server to a new always on pc/laptop soon.

-Alexander Zarach :)

ps.at least my PSP has kept me logged in so far! :lol:
  • OK. Hope it's a good one.

-Q
  • So do I! My Tiny 5650 obviously wasn't! I have to get it off ebay(uk) like my Tiny. :)
  • Q wrote:
    Anyrate, all this notwithstanding, is like 500 characters too little for anyone?

-Q

OK, I Evlhxrdood Duly authorized myself as the representative of the Supreme Court of WinWorld, declare -Q's actions *unconstitutional* based on international law! :p
  • Hey! I own an emachine
  • Its been so long, I forget what the default sig limit in phpBB is.... all I know is it was too small...

500-1000 seems good... maybe the best in right in between... try 750?

images seem to be the big problem... maybe say a limit of 1 image... 2 if they're small...
  • BOD wrote:
    Sigx have a mac client.
    The Windows version is less limited, though
  • ok do somebody knew where I can put my GIF without the danger that an shitty image hosting erase them beacuse of "inactivity"?????

I already have converted these "thin images" to an one gif but the thing above, is worrying me... (I don`t like my beautiful sig images erased :( )
  • Evlhxrdood wrote:
    Q wrote:
    Anyrate, all this notwithstanding, is like 500 characters too little for anyone?

-Q

OK, I Evlhxrdood Duly authorized myself as the representative of the Supreme Court of WinWorld, declare -Q's actions *unconstitutional* based on international law! :p

You what?
  • lol

Are you leaving the gifs on the userbar site?

Don't they have a thing about that? like they're only on the servers for X ammount of time before they're deleted? or am I thinking of something else?

Yes imageshack or simular is the way to go
  • edited March 2007
    no i`m leeching the gifs form UserSigs.com, not userbar..... :)
  • They have a page that lets you generate a gif from many userbars.... use that... save the gif it generated.... then upload it to imageshack.us
  • Evlhxrdood wrote:
    [

I wouldnt push your luck if I were you.
  • now, which they think of my new image, it is good?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file