Noise absorption...

RNRN
edited April 2007 in Hardware
I was wondering, since eggcrate-type foam is expensive... Is it possible that regular hand towels will work in place of the foam? I want to use them to dampen noise from my PC. (stick them inside). I know Fish has done it... But I'm not sure about the difference in noise.

Comments

• It definitely works ALOT, just ask Trainer4, he has that PC now.
  • RN wrote:
    I was wondering, since eggcrate-type foam is expensive... Is it possible that regular hand towels will work in place of the foam? I want to use them to dampen noise from my PC. (stick them inside). I know Fish has done it... But I'm not sure about the difference in noise.
    Why? Is your PC like insanely loud? How much noise could it possibly be putting out? I have two ten inch fans on my PC, and it runs very quietly, to the point where I think you could whisper across my room, and hear it clearly over the case's noise. If you're having noise problems, I'd say the first step would be to try to turn down your CPU fan speed in the BIOS. Putting foam in makes no sense to me, as it is also thermal shielding (is it not?).

-Kirk
  • RN wrote:
    Why? Is your PC like insanely loud? How much noise could it possibly be putting out? I have two ten inch fans on my PC, and it runs very quietly, to the point where I think you could whisper across my room, and hear it clearly over the case's noise. If you're having noise problems, I'd say the first step would be to try to turn down your CPU fan speed in the BIOS. Putting foam in makes no sense to me, as it is also thermal shielding (is it not?).

-Kirk

No it is not insanely loud. I have 6 computers in my room and I just want to lower the noise output. (Obviously). And there is NO way I'm turning my CPU fan speed down in my BIOS. And yes putting foam (not styrofoam shit) does make sense. Thermal shielding isn't a problem, I don't know why you would think it is.

The question is... hand towels, or more expensive eggcrate foam?
  • Hey RN or ka0s, where would you put the towels? I have a noisy case and want to reduce sound levels as well.
  • On the side panels, and on the inside floor, and top ceiling of the case.
  • Towels won't just cut down on the noise, they'll stop the vibration, which is more annoying.
  • So now the question, should I use duct tape, or screws?
  • BOD wrote:
    Towels won't just cut down on the noise, they'll stop the vibration, which is more annoying.
    That is probably the funniest thing I've read today.

sound = vibration

:)
  • I'm talking about the lower end stuff, not the hight pitched noise that fans make.
  • I can deal with the steady noise of fans. Any vibration bothers the hell out of me, but since I replaced my case and power supply, it hasn't been a problem.