OS/2 is Being Uploaded

edited April 2007 in News & Announcements
I'm reuploading OS/2 to the server under Operating Systems > OS/2. the only one that is complete as of this post is OS/2 2.0. The rest should be complete within 6-10 hours.

I will update this post when all uploads are complete.

Comments

• I didn't even know there WAS a "Warp 2"... ::oops:

-Q
  • It didn't have"Warp" until v3. :P
  • What exactly did the "Warp" signify?

-Q
  • Why did you take it down in the first place?
  • I suspect it was an accident somewhere along the line.

-Q
  • Well I'll rename it then, they're just named how I downloaded them.
    Command: RNFR /website/Operating Systems/OS2/OS2 Warp 2.tar.gz
    Response: 350 File exists, ready for destination name.
    Command: RNTO /website/Operating Systems/OS2/OS2 2.0.tar.gz
    Response: 250 RNTO command successful.

As far as them not being there before, I don't know, and it doesn't really matter.
  • OS/2 version 3.0, released in 1994, was labelled as "OS/2 Warp" to highlight the new performance benefits, and generally to freshen the product image. "Warp" had originally been the internal IBM name for the release: IBM claimed that they had used Star Trek terms as internal names for past OS/2 releases, and that this one seemed appropriate for external use as well.

At the launch of OS/2 Warp in 1994, Patrick Stewart was to be the Master of Ceremonies; however Kate Mulgrew of the then-upcoming series Star Trek: Voyager was substituted at the last minute.

OS/2 Warp offered a host of benefits over OS/2 2.1, notably broader hardware support, greater multimedia capabilities, Internet-compatible networking, and it included a basic office application suite known as IBM Works. OS/2 Warp Connect followed, which had full network support built-in.
  • never got into OS/2 and never will. IBM was stupid to break up with Microsoft.
  • Actually Microsoft broke from IBM, but that's just nitpicking.
  • All uploads complete.
  • I'm downloading the older 2.x I don't have that thanks for posting.
  • edited April 2007
  • They made an OS/2 Warp 5? Huh, I had no idea. I thought they stopped at 4.
  • "Warp 5" is, I think, eComStation (AKA "eCS" or as I accidentally called it "eCopStation").

-Q
  • OS/2 looks interesting, I always wanted to try it
  • Lots of big financial institutions still use it, I've ported a few front end apps to other OS's. CE is becoming popular for some transaction based things as it's a real time OS and the learning curve for dev is fairly low compared to things other real time OS's like Symbian

Anyhow, check out how well 16 bit Windows apps run on warp.... it's unreal..
  • Ahh yes, the OS of choice for... ATMs.

-Q
  • Okay, so I'm booting OS/2 Warp 5 in QEMU, and for about ten minutes it's been stuck on "Loading IBM1FLYPY.ADD"

So uh... Does it normally take this long?
  • Not suite sure if I can ask this here, but anyone have or ever use Microsoft OS/2 1.3? It looks pretty interesting; basically OS/2 with a Windows 3.x GUI.
  • I've downloaded OS/2 Warp 4 and am currently downloading eComStation.

I look forward to trying both.

I think I already had microsoft OS/2 version 1 or 2 not sure though
  • was win2000 ever on the download servers?
  • What's E com station?
  • I'm pretty sure we never had 2000 available.

Ecomstation ("eComStation") is basically OS/2 Warp 5. A company (Serenity Systems) bought the code and rights to OS/2 from IBM and updated it for newer hardware, devices, etc, etc.

-Q
  • there definately was 2000 available, i have it on my com, and winworld is the only site i ever downlaoded os's from apart from osx86 off torrent.
  • Err?! I missed that if it did indeed happen.

-Q
  • Windows 2000 has never, ever, been on WinWorld servers.
  • edited May 2010
    [haha]
  • I don't know, but you can download win 3.X from WinWorldPC servers.
  • I have some OS/2 stuff which I gladly (at least some of it) would upload.

Most important, I think, whould be
    OS/2 WARP 3 Connect.
    You want it? (and how do I upload?)
  • edited April 2007
    I (forgot to login last time) have now uploaded 'OS/2 WARP 3 Connect' to http://www.divshare.com/download/432804-c9f

While I think OS/2 WARP 3 -the blue/red plain versions- (which I can see is already uploaded) did have support for dialed-up internet (on it's second disc

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file