What This Is

edited March 2010 in News & Announcements
This is yet another resurrection of the old, original WinBoards database, restored from a backup made in 2007. Brought back purely for the lulz, this bitch will never die completely.

People with administrative rights are myself, ka0s, stitch and Rioter.

Many of the old forums have been merged together for cleanliness and organization. No posts have been deleted in this merge, so you should still be able to find a post you made back in 2004.

Comments

• Not as long as you don't drop the DB again.
  • Rioter? Admin? Bound for disaster
  • 8)

Rioter was an admin on the fake WinBoards that Rioter and Duff made a few months ago that failed, but I dont know.. he was an admin on there, so I just added him.

Dont worry, anyone who seriously misbehaves I'mm be taking care of myself.
  • Happy Dude wrote:
    Rioter? Admin? Bound for disaster

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Note: That was sarcasm.
  • I've never known rioter to be abusive/malicious in anyway, as long as he doesn't apply his BA moderating style to here (which i think he's capable of) it should be good.
  • Well keep in mind that the whole point of WinBoards was its lack of moderation. Most of those clones you'd post something on and get banned...
  • Yeah the whole idea of WinBoards is to be self-moderating, to whatever extent the posters decide.

I won't be doing anything in terms of moderating unless it's deleting a spam post, which will hopefully be few and far between.

EDIT: I'm not at home, and I'm now noticing the issue with images on jstimg.info not loading...
  • Duff wrote:
    Yeah the whole idea of WinBoards is to be self-moderating, to whatever extent the posters decide.

I won't be doing anything in terms of moderating unless it's deleting a spam post, which will hopefully be few and far between.

Thats how I did it. I never deleted anything... as long as the users control themselves, then theres no need for us to do anything.
    Duff wrote:
    I'm now noticing the issue with images on jstimg.info not loading...

I told you that they dont load. If you actually open the image's address it works, but otherwise it doesnt work.
  • You guys should really use the less-broken smartDark theme that I made for Just-Owns.

http://www.hypnosnet.org/downloads/smartdark.zip

I'm pretty sure that's the fixed version with the phpBB updates and it fixed the white text box thing.
  • Then I must have been a total fuck-up in 2007, if there was a distinct lack of moderation, since I was banned about a week after registering, and I believe it was stitch who delivered my ban...
  • BlueSun wrote:
    You guys should really use the less-broken smartDark theme that I made for Just-Owns.

http://www.hypnosnet.org/downloads/smartdark.zip

I'm pretty sure that's the fixed version with the phpBB updates and it fixed the white text box thing.

What is broken with this smartDark? I updated it so it should be working fine, afaik.
  • phpBB had a few updates to the admin panel after smartDark was released. smartor never released an updated version of smartDark as far as I know. So there's that, and on the login page, the textboxes have white background but grey text making it hard to see.

They're easy fixes to implement.
  • Duff wrote:
    Yeah the whole idea of WinBoards is to be self-moderating, to whatever extent the posters decide.

Thank god. A lot of forums take themselves way too seriously. I knew there was a reason I liked this place, and here it is.
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    Duff wrote:

Thank god. A lot of forums take themselves way too seriously. I knew there was a reason I liked this place, and here it is.

There have been a number of attempts to copy this place, and none ever really managed to get off the ground because of over-moderation. You'd get banned for posting something, and when you asked why you were banned they'd say "LOL AM I BOVERD?" or some crap like that....

They were all destined for failure.

As always... WinBoards prevails! </v for vendetta>
  • Well, the last accidental incarnation wasn't too bad. It got a few people back, etc etc
    As always... WinBoards prevails! </v>
  • Rioter wrote:
    Well, the last accidental incarnation wasn't too bad. It got a few people back, etc etc
    As always... WinBoards prevails! </v>

If you watched V for Vendetta... You remember the line "England prevails!"

Thats where I took that from.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    There have been a number of attempts to copy this place, and none ever really managed to get off the ground because of over-moderation.
    I remember one old place I hung around that had a similar method of moderation....

A shame it was because of that some assholes came along and ruined everything.
  • Hmm... I remember it quite differently.
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    Hmm... I remember it quite differently.

I'll admit we've had our fair share of overenthusiastic administrators on here... But we're down to a group of them that doesnt really care much.

Plus I think most of us have gotten past the point where we all had to attack each other on here.
  • Sorry, I don't mean that, I meant what Swifto was talking about.
  • I never bought into the whole "zero-moderation / don't care" philosophy. I do subscribe to the "don't have a 3:1 admin/user ratio" philosophy.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I never bought into the whole "zero-moderation / don't care" philosophy. I do, however, subscribe to the "don't have a 3:1 admin/user ratio" philosophy.
  • damn it, that was supposed to be edit... not delete. Can someone fix that?
  • UP-ON-CPU wrote:
    Hmm... I remember it quite differently.
    You don't remember Yamino? NMX?
    I kinda associate the downfall with those two.
  • damn it, I meant quote, not delete... Jesus christ, I just fucked that up to hell.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    damn it, that was supposed to be edit... not delete. Can someone fix that?

No, it's zero moderation, remember? :D
  • Oh yeah. That's why zero moderation sucks. :P

Also, it wouldn't have been an issue if the permissions for this forum were set correctly.
  • what's wrong with the permisions? I can't mesa with it right now but maybe duff or stitch can
  • Regular users can't edit or delete their posts and you can't vote in polls.

I understand not allowing the regular users to post new threads in this forum, but we should be able to edit / delete our posts like we can in the other forums.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file