Old CDs

2»

Comments

• CoreDuo wrote:
    Ka0s wrote:
    I remember in like 1996 when I got an IBM Aptiva, it came with this HUGE book of CDs that I would never have used.

I havent bought an OEM system in ages... Do they still do that crap?

I had a Gateway in 1996-97 that was the same way.
    Same here.
    When I went out and bought my laptop, it came bundled with some stuff, but nothing really useful, some backup program that added a toolbar, a rss reader, Wild Tangent games all of which got uninstalled since theyre crap, and a bunch of useless trial applications. Instead of having anything useful to come with your machine anymore, it's just junk that you end up uninstalling as soon as you set the machine up.
    I think the only app I use that came with the machine was Windows Mobile Device Center, and that's because I need it anyways to sync my pda.
  • Actually, now that I think about it, I bought an Acer Aspire One about two years ago, and the only thing it came with was some backup program and Office Home and Student trial. I used the trial, but then I just got a key. The backup program disappeared into the mists...
  • noone wrote:
    Same here.
    When I went out and bought my laptop, it came bundled with some stuff, but nothing really useful, some backup program that added a toolbar, a rss reader, Wild Tangent games all of which got uninstalled since theyre crap, and a bunch of useless trial applications. Instead of having anything useful to come with your machine anymore, it's just junk that you end up uninstalling as soon as you set the machine up.
    I think the only app I use that came with the machine was Windows Mobile Device Center, and that's because I need it anyways to sync my pda.
    That's why I hate OEM installs, the crapware they've ends up killing the OS install, then you've to reinstall/format and be free from crap.

Some people here use to format the existing OEM install and put on a fresh one after a new PC buy...
  • My Gateway tablet came only with a restore disk, but had a ton of bloatware pre-installed.

Took 6 hours to get rid of it all the first time.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    I remember in like 1996 when I got an IBM Aptiva, it came with this HUGE book of CDs that I would never have used.

I havent bought an OEM system in ages... Do they still do that crap?
    Yes. They still do. Except that the crapware is now in the HD and restore partition, instead of in CD's.