Hosted VM's

edited August 2010 in News & Announcements
Over the past few days i've been working on code that will allow WinWorld to host VM's of various abandonware OSes and applications.

The concept is very simple, when this goes live, you'll see a new link on the sidebar, "Virtual Machines", click that brings you to a page of all available systems we'll run for you. Clicking on one (say, Windows 3.1) will start it up inside a flash based VNC client, for you to fully use right in your browser.

These will not be completely unlimited, it is efficiently a time sharing system, only a certain amount of slots per VM will be available for use (likely 4 or 5). If demand is high, you'll be limited to an hour so others can have their turn.

These will be open for internet usage as well, however, on a rather restricted level. 80 and 21 will be the only ports that you can access relatively freely, other services will be limited based on abuse. As this can efficiently be used for ban evasion elsewhere, the only IRC permitted is EFnet #winboards.

Any changes you make to the VM will not be saved. When you start a VM, a copy of the disk image is made and you are bootstrapped off of that.

If anybody has any comments/concerns about this new service, please state them here.

Comments

• When will this service be up ?
  • Almamu wrote:
    When will this service be up ?

buy me some more weed and well talk
  • stitch wrote:
    Almamu wrote:
    When will this service be up ?

buy me some more weed and well talk

8)
  • Could we also have download Virtual Machines? I'm not interested at all on this service

Thats what I am thinking, as WinNt3 is a bitch to setup,
  • So we'll have full administrator access (On the systems that it matters on) so we can install programs? Since changes aren't permanent anyway...
  • well if we are just going to use porgrams why do we not get a citrix server going?

To let you guys know I am going to make a windows 98se vm with office and 98plus, and some other stuff,

I.m going to rar it and place it on stitches ftp
  • Bigjake52 wrote:
    well if we are just going to use porgrams why do we not get a citrix server going?

To let you guys know I am going to make a windows 98se vm with office and 98plus, and some other stuff,

I.m going to rar it and place it on stitches ftp
    +1 for this...

Anyway, any improvement around this?? Like... it's working now?? :O
  • This project is more or less dead. We're focusing on expanding and improving the downloads section, which draw 99% of the traffic to WinWorld.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file