WinWorld To Do List

edited August 2010 in News & Announcements
This is a list of planned changes coming to WinWorld that we have chose to make public ahead of time.

It will be updated on an as needed basis.

1. Deployment of a frame-free, SHTML version of WinWorld.

2. Stylization and fixing of the new directory listing script on WDL1 (North America).

3. Implement the directory listing script on WDL3 (Europe) for consistency.

4. Update WDL2 (backup download server) with new download collection.

Comments

• Duff wrote:
    Deployment of a frame-free, SHTML version of WinWorld.

Why?
  • Because frames are outdated and shitty.
    * Framing breaks the link between content and a URL, making it difficult to link to or bookmark a particular item of content within the frameset[7]
    * The implementation of frames is inconsistent across different browsers[7]
    * Browsers which render material linearly don't work well with frames.[8]
    o Screen reader programs
    o text or audio browsers
    o email wwww browsers like Agora[9]
    * Framing confuses the boundaries between content on different servers,[10] which raises issues of copyright infringement[11]
    * Visitors arriving from search engines may land on a page intended for display in a frame which has no navigation [12]
    * Frames change the behavior of the back button[12]
    * Frames usually don't print the way users expect they will[11]
    * External links on web pages which use frames may cause other pages to appear in the frameset.
    * If the screen resolution or browser window size is too low then each frame will have scroll bars which can look messy and uses up already limited space. Such behaviour typically resulted more from bad site design (fixed layouts instead of fluid layouts), whereby not all frameset features were put into proper use.

This behaviour could be mitigated by:

* disabling scrolling for smaller frames that typically didn't require a scrollbar;
    * using fluid design characteristics in target pages instead of fixed designs, so that the content wouldn't cause horizontal scrollbars in the first place.

* Large frames with no boundaries can be a security risk ; a frame large enough can be used for phishing.
  • No, I understand why you'd want to get rid of frames, believe me I do.

But why SHTML?
  • SHTML is the simplest way to do includes for the header and footer without requiring PHP or the like.

It was stitch's idea, not mine.
  • Duff wrote:
    3. Implement the directory listing script on WDL3 (Europe) for consistency.

Fair enough, I'm gonna have an attempt at styling snif later. Either way as long as files are listed I'm not caring much.

Who's doing the SHTML version of the site?
  • stitch did the basic conversion, it's not much effort really, I'm just struggling with the divs because I suck at CSS.

If you're going to give styling snif a shot, the only columns we need are name and size, the others are irrelevant.
  • Sounds right. Will let you know when I've done it to my satisfactrion.
  • Duff wrote:
    4. Update WDL2 (backup download server) with new download collection.

How much space do we need on there? I'm going to need to add another drive.
  • Duff wrote:

If you're going to give styling snif a shot, the only columns we need are name and size, the others are irrelevant.

Did that, Stitch is now saying don't bother just use what I bloody have.

Oh I love conflicting information
  • Well if you want to actually do the styling by all means go ahead (and give me a .patch file)
  • Preview of the stylized modified directory listing so far (thanks Rioter):

0810afin.jpg
  • Duff wrote:
    Preview of the stylized modified directory listing so far (thanks Rioter):

I see what you did there
  • Cool Improvment, guys!!! keep it goin'!! :)

Because, well, frames sucks dongs.. I can remember when I was trying to make a frame-based web site, it's been a pain on the ass.. but could do it successfully, then ditched it to my web site's actual flavor LOL
  • frames are annoying, but they do occasionally have their uses.
  • Topic split to remove off-topic shit. New thread in RC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file