Can you use Windows 3.11 with a USB keyboard

edited August 2010 in Hardware
Yes, I know Win 3.11 has no USB support.

However, my computer's BIOS has "USB Legacy support enabled" and I've gotten a USB keyboard to work just fine in DOS.

With that said, would Windows 3.11 refuse to recognize anything, or would still allow the keyboard to work but freak out because nothing was in the PS/2 port?

Comments

• it should pick it up if you have the most basic of basic ps/2 drivers loaded.
  • Yes, I know Win 3.11 has no USB support.

However, my computer's BIOS has "USB Legacy support enabled" and I've gotten a USB keyboard to work just fine in DOS.

With that said, would Windows 3.11 refuse to recognize anything, or would still allow the keyboard to work but freak out because nothing was in the PS/2 port?

Should work. As long as you can get past the BIOS with a USB keyboard (i.e: being able to even go into the BIOS and navigate using the keyboard), DOS should recognize it.
  • I do not think so, that sounds crazy in my thoughts,

why not run 3.11 in a virtual system?
  • Bigjake52 wrote:
    I do not think so, that sounds crazy in my thoughts,

why not run 3.11 in a virtual system?

side note: virtualbox emulates a usb keyboard by default now =P
  • Yes, but I think if you pick a system like dos or windows 98 does it not set a usb to ps2 converter?

edit Windows 95
  • The original poster said that he has it working in DOS. So it seems to me that it will pretty much definitely work under Windows 3.11 that's running on top of DOS.
  • yea, but it could be that when it loades it reconfigures, the system some how and spits out the usb keyboard
  • Bigjake52 wrote:
    yea, but it could be that when it loades it reconfigures, the system some how and spits out the usb keyboard

WUT? lol...
  • Bigjake52 wrote:
    yea, but it could be that when it loades it reconfigures, the system some how and spits out the usb keyboard

It could be that when it loads, it reconfigures the system to world domination mode and decides to kill you, take over the world and then have a bit of tea when it's done.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Bigjake52 wrote:

It could be that when it loads, it reconfigures the system to world domination mode and decides to kill you, take over the world and then have a bit of tea when it's done.
    ROFL!!

Anyway, it happens to me that with my USB Genius KB I can't navigate trough the Windows 7 boot menu :\

Fucking weird, I know.. maybe I'll have to find some spare time to revise my BIOS' config :S

And if you're having problems with W3.11 and USB KB's, you can try to select another keyboard type on the Win's setup!! ;)