Bought a "New" Monitor (Update: Bought a 20 LCD)

edited November 2010 in Hardware
And it's the bestial 21" ViewSonic G810 Graphic Series.... The only thing that annoys me to hell is that the text is damn blurry :S

@ 60hz things are bearable, but the blurriness remains at the middle of the CRT, on the edges the text is crisp and legible.. When I try higher res. than 1600x1200 (my actual one) or higher refresh rates (let's sat 70hz) the screen is illegibly blurry! :(

On Lower Res. and refresh rates things are better, but they are crap and 50hz as refresh rate is a highway to blindness and painful headaches :S

Hot dammit... anyway I've been reading about this on other sites and there are some symptoms:
    Bad fly-back (As I've read, that's likely to happen on this one)
    Wrong Focus Settings (It can only be changed by opening the monitor and finding some screw, can't be arced to do it as I dunno about monitor repairing)
    Bad VGA cable (Likely to happen..)
    Dying CRT (Unlikely because all the crap would be blurry, and we're talking about blurryness on the center and total on higher frame rates)

So, This one was cheap on MercadoLibre (About AR$370, or $92.5 - the same as other used 17" and 19" ones)

If someone experienced on this topic can help me, I would appreciate a lot!!! I highly hope that the CRT is not dying because I've bought 2 days ago :S

Thanks in advance!

P.S: Image showing the problem I'm facing now...

1285374154.or.14872.jpg

Comments

• Get your money back if you can.
  • Wait... you paid for a CRT? I throw out 15" LCDs at work all the time....

Seriously, a 15" LCD is like $69.99 US, and a 21" is like $119 USD...
  • CRT's still have a superior picture. The closest you can get in LCD AFAIK, is a Pro IPS panel.
  • The gap closes every couple of months...for all but the most anal-retentive LCDs are good enough. I support video editors and graphic designers (amongst others) and they tell me that they haven't seen issues in LCDs for years. Admittedly a lot of them are morons, but I trust their opinions if they work with graphical content every day.
  • Yes, LCD's are good enough. I never said they weren't. I just said CRT's were better for picture quality, which is a reason that someone may choose to buy a CRT instead of an LCD.
  • Regardless of the very slightly higher picture quality, think of the HUGE amount of wasted desk space, the wasted electricity, and the massive heat output of a CRT of that size.

Seriously, at home I only use a like 17" LCD, and its fine.... at work I have a 21" widescreen LCD... I threw out a pile of 21" CRTs that were sitting around our office the other day because we have no use for them anymore.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Get your money back if you can.
    I've e-mailed the fag who has sold me it... It seemed fine when he showed it to me the first time, working at 1280x1024@75hz refresh rate.... It's annoying that when I plugged it on my PC, it started to seem blurry on the middle :S So, I hope that at least I can have my money back or repairing it.. :)

@ Ka0s: First of all, congratz, throwing old annoying CRT's is always comfortable... but you're forgetting something, think about it, I DON'T LIVE ON THE US :( And we've to pay even for AMD K6-II PC's/Notebooks (Which are selling here at U$S 30 now.. :S). Thanks for the high LCD prices here (*) CRT's still have got their strong market share in the used products yard (MercadoLibre..)

(*)= The price of LCD's here are as follows:

15.6" Wide: U$S ~80 (Used) - U$S ~130 (NEW) [4:3 15" aren't being sold here]
    23" Wide: U$S 400 (NEW) - U$S 250 (USED)

So, here you go our overpriced reality.. If you don't believe me, here's a link to ML with the actual prices of LCD's (In Spanish, as Google translator doesn't show the prices): http://computacion.mercadolibre.com.ar/ ... ctores/LCD

If you want, here's the list for CRT's: http://listado.mercadolibre.com.ar/monitor-CRT

As you can see there's a mess of prices in dollars and Argentinean pesos ($)

That's the easiest way I've found to show you why I didn't buy an 20" LCD (Heck, they're the same price as a new PC or Notebook!! :S)

Also, I play games at low resolutions, as I've an on board vid card, I can't play all the games I've in let's say.. 1280x1024... An LCD would blurry to hell on my games resulting on throwing it out the window LOL

Will keep you informed if STH important happens, I'm between coming back to my 15" Philips (oh GOD please no!!) or repairing this one (better) ;)
  • CRTs are the plague at the headend.

Fede, I'll send you a box of 10 for free. You pay shipping though.
  • Josh brings up a good point. I too will send a number of 21" CRT monitors (Dell branded) for free as long as shipping is paid for. We have hundreds of them at work and a few get thrown out a week.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    Josh brings up a good point. I too will send a number of 21" CRT monitors (Dell branded) for free as long as shipping is paid for. We have hundreds of them at work and a few get thrown out a week.
    Well, He Did!!

But I can't pay shipping, although these Dell 21" are the shit... meh :(

UPDATE: The faggot who has sold me this didn't want to give my money back, so I'm here, stuck with it and having to use zoom to see the text (otherwise it would be crapped out)... :(

I'm looking forward to buy a new monitor soon!!!
  • Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. They'll refund you at his expense.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. They'll refund you at his expense.
    That's not possible, I don't have any bank account or credit card, I've paid cash for it... Also I don't trust MercadoLibre's MercadoPago (their e-billing system) because of it's security issues...

:(
  • You pay shipping and I'll send you as many 21" Dell monitors as you want for free.
  • Ka0s wrote:
    You pay shipping and I'll send you as many 21" Dell monitors as you want for free.
    Man, that's a cool offer... but I've already bought a 20" Samsung High-Res LCD... But thanks anyway :)

And it's not your usual LCD (at least here in Arg..) It's a very short-lived model from mid-2008, the Samsung 2053NW!

These have stopped selling in late 2009 (I think), but I can't stand this as the model has got a very nice looking (with vivid colors and all, beats CRTs, 2ms response time) high-res panel (which supports a native res of 1680x1050 vs. 1600x900 of all brand new 20" LCDs that are being sold here)

It was AR$ 750, with 1 and a middle year of use... a real bargain compared to brand new ones!

Here's a photo of it... it was very short-lived here, so high-res ones aren't easy to find :(

90482.jpg

So far, I'm really happy about my invest... also it looks bigger when you see it on the dark, thanks to the high res :)
  • $190 USD for a 20" LCD. Given what you've said about hardware prices in your region, that's a pretty good deal. Samsung makes good displays.
  • Duff wrote:
    $190 USD for a 20" LCD. Given what you've said about hardware prices in your region, that's a pretty good deal. Samsung makes good displays.
    Yup, it was like AR$ 150 lower than a brand new LG 20" one... (but the 1600x900 native res was odd for me). Also I concur with you, Duff: Samsung LCDs are really great! :D

I was going to buy a 19" brand-new LG one for AR$40 less, but the very very low res of 1366x768 was really a show stopper as I was looking for a LCD which could beat my old 21" CRT in terms of resolution... And the 2053nw just have done that with a really short price difference! :O

Thank god I've ditched that 21" CRT behemoth which tube is dying (a technician said this) and at the same time was killing my eyes :S

Right now I'm looking forward to resell that 21" thing at a very low price so I can get off it fast, as it's killing free space on my room :(
  • FedeArg wrote:
    Ka0s wrote:
    You pay shipping and I'll send you as many 21" Dell monitors as you want for free.
    Man, that's a cool offer... but I've already bought a 20" Samsung High-Res LCD... But thanks anyway :)

And it's not your usual LCD (at least here in Arg..) It's a very short-lived model from mid-2008, the Samsung 2053NW!

These have stopped selling in late 2009 (I think), but I can't stand this as the model has got a very nice looking (with vivid colors and all, beats CRTs, 2ms response time) high-res panel (which supports a native res of 1680x1050 vs. 1600x900 of all brand new 20" LCDs that are being sold here)

It was AR$ 750, with 1 and a middle year of use... a real bargain compared to brand new ones!

Here's a photo of it... it was very short-lived here, so high-res ones aren't easy to find :(

90482.jpg

So far, I'm really happy about my invest... also it looks bigger when you see it on the dark, thanks to the high res :)

$200 USD (which is what 750 ARS as of 9:06 CST Nov. 18) is a ripoff for such a monitor.
  • This is actually a good monitor. 200 is not a ripoff considering you are from Argentina, where electronics might have higher markups. Even if it has been used a little.
  • RN wrote:
    This is actually a good monitor. 200 is not a ripoff considering you are from Argentina, where electronics might have higher markups. Even if it has been used a little.
    Correct!

If Zimmy actually cared to READ the post or visit the links from some posts earlier, he should have noticed that I doesn't fucking live on the US and that hardware prices here in ARG are multiplied by 4 as they're being sold in dollars (thanks devaluation!).....

Protip: Read before posting or STFU! :)
  • FedeArg wrote:
    RN wrote:
    This is actually a good monitor. 200 is not a ripoff considering you are from Argentina, where electronics might have higher markups. Even if it has been used a little.
    Correct!

If Zimmy actually cared to READ the post or visit the links from some posts earlier, he should have noticed that I doesn't fucking live on the US and that hardware prices here in ARG are multiplied by 4 as they're being sold in dollars (thanks devaluation!).....

Protip: Read before posting or STFU! :)

8)

Ever thought to sit around and read the entire boards reaction to your posts? I live in Chicago, Illinois dude, I have first world problems to attend to, like the McRib being back at McDonalds and which celebrities have sex with who.

You morons pissed off the British in the Falklands and you're pissing off Americans on the Internet. When are you going to stop pissing everyone off with pointless banter devised in some nasty slum?

Personally I'm sick of hearing about ancient technology that I throw into the garbage and hearing about how bad of a person I am because I don't believe in jesus and have premarital sex with women that I apparently only see as "sex objects."

News flash: If "god" actually existed, let alone cared about people on this world, ever start to think your country might not be one giant 3rd world shithole?

Protip: get off my forums
  • stitch, as much as I dislike backing up Fede in this post, I think you should calm down a little.

Some things are just more expensive in other countries compared to the US. I think Fede was just trying to tell you to just be a little more sensitive in your response... even if he replied in a such a clumsy way. (Fede is Fede, afterall)

Fede felt like he snagged a good deal on a monitor, and I'll tell you this, electronics in less developed countries are extremely overpriced. Even some developed European countries have the same problem.

Ancient technology to you might not be so ancient in say Mexico where NEW/RECENT base configured consumer notebooks are considered performance machines if bought legitimately.

Technology is relative to where people live, so let's not get aggressive and blame people for things they might not be aware of. ;)

Keep in mind there are also some Americans who whine and create so much fuss about how hard they have it in their first world country. :D
  • What RN said.
  • Keep in mind guys, both myself AND stitch offered to ship him numerous monitors free of charge, and I'm sure the shipping would've been under $200 to send a 21" CRT down there.
  • lolerskates I can pick up a CRT for free on craigslist; I see them all the time. That's how I got this 17" Dell trinitron. Pretty good monitor I must say and it was free.