CoreDuo's build thread

2»

Comments

• Duff wrote:
    Nice.

Is that CMOS checksum error one-time only or is it recurring. I hate those so much.

It was a one time thing.

Also, more terrible fun in Windows 98:

jta.jpg

NTFS formatted USB flash drive anyone? :D
  • Blasphemy!
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Blasphemy!

I went one step further.

aax.jpg

NTFS formatted 640GB USB 2.0 drive :P
  • Read only, huh?
  • Interesting.

What games are you playing on your build?
  • RN wrote:
    Interesting.

What games are you playing on your build?

So far:

* Doom II (95)
    * Descent II (I'd never seen the full motion video intro, holy shit)
    * Roller Coaster Tycoon (Naturally)
    * Jazz Jackrabbit (I had to slow down the CPU using this because of this bug)
    * Jazz Jackrabbit 2 (Another excellent FMV intro with some fun menu sound effects)
    * Roadwar 2000 (DOS game from 1987 without speed problems, shocking!)
    * EGATrek (I honestly haven't yet figured out how to play this)
  • This thread is tempting me more and more to whip out my dual Pentium 3-S Tualatins @ 1.4ghz... Ahh.. I remember getting them to 1.8ghz once.
  • RN wrote:
    This thread is tempting me more and more to whip out my dual Pentium 3-S Tualatins @ 1.4ghz... Ahh.. I remember getting them to 1.8ghz once.

Heh, Tualatins were nice. As a side note there is another system that I have in progress to make use of the motherboard I was originally going to use.

Since the two builds sort of deviated, here's the planned specs:

Gigabyte GA-586SG (SiS 5591 chipset)
    AMD K6-2 400 or Pentium MMX 233
    128MB PC-100 RAM
    Have not decided yet whether to get another Geforce4 440MX for this machine or grab the S3 Trio64 out of another machine
    Storage method is also up in the air. More than likely will be the 4GB Seagate out of the same machine the Trio64 is being pulled from
    Creative SoundBlaster AWE32 (CT2760)
    Standard AT Case and PSU
    Windows 95C

Unfortunately this one is on hold because knifethrower has not yet been able to ship the case and PSU.

Now back to playing Roller Coaster Tycoon :shock:
  • I suggest you use the MX440 from your current one for your next build and get a GeForce 4 Ti4600 or a 4800 for your PIII 500 if budget suffices.
  • RN wrote:
    I suggest you use the MX440 from your current one for your next build and get a GeForce 4 Ti4600 or a 4800 for your PIII 500 if budget suffices.

Well, the thing I noticed with the P3 is that I hit a CPU bottleneck on games far before I hit a video card bottleneck. There's games that require a 933MHz P3 but will still run fine with the 440MX otherwise. By that point they more often than not run fine on more modern machines anyway.
  • Core Duo

Glad things are going well for you.
    Just a quick side note. When I did my Win 95C build using an AMD K6 2-500 Mhz I ran into an issue. I had to down clock the CPU to 300Mhz in order to install the software otherwise I kept getting an installation error. There is a patch available (got in from Microsoft) for the AMD CPU once you have Win 95cC installed. On the other hand, I did the same Win 95C install on an IBM 6269-M2U with a P3 667Mhz CPU I had kicking around and had no problems at all.
    Just FYI.

Mike
  • meb5749 wrote:
    Core Duo

Glad things are going well for you.
    Just a quick side note. When I did my Win 95C build using an AMD K6 2-500 Mhz I ran into an issue. I had to down clock the CPU to 300Mhz in order to install the software otherwise I kept getting an installation error. There is a patch available (got in from Microsoft) for the AMD CPU once you have Win 95cC installed. On the other hand, I did the same Win 95C install on an IBM 6269-M2U with a P3 667Mhz CPU I had kicking around and had no problems at all.
    Just FYI.

Mike

That's interesting. I'll check it out when I get the rest of the parts which are *ahem* severely delayed. (time to go annoy knifethrower again)
  • hmm, been awhile since I've been on here.

Interesting builds you have done.

I still have my vintage rig from before, as well as two others I've got as of recent.