Chicago Download Mirror temp return

edited April 2012 in News & Announcements
I've temporarly returned our Chicago download mirror as our primary mirror contributed by Rioter is undergoing some maintenance. The ETA for restoration of the mirror in France is "when it fucking comes back". The speeds are intentionally subpar on the Chicago server to avoid burning through lots of premium bandwidth. Please remember that you get this shit for free.

Comments

• Also worth noting that we are looking into setting up torrents. This is after we get the current server problems fixed of course.

While we've toyed with the idea in the past, circumstances have made this a more viable option. Ideally, it'll make our software library more resistant to server failures and downtime, and quite possibly offer faster download speeds, while at the same time giving us finer control over bandwidth usage.

Stay tuned.
  • It's a nice idea if people actually seed...
  • We haven't discussed it in great detail yet, but the plan would be to have our current download servers constantly seeding, rate limited per connection so we can control bandwidth usage better.

Even if only a couple people keep seeding a few torrents each, it's better than nothing.
  • Duff wrote:
    We haven't discussed it in great detail yet, but the plan would be to have our current download servers constantly seeding, rate limited per connection so we can control bandwidth usage better.

Even if only a couple people keep seeding a few torrents each, it's better than nothing.

^ This. The general idea is to utilize magnet links and both DL servers will seed as well. Normal HTTP access will not go away unless this somehow magically proves to be a *highly* viable option.
  • I am afraid if torrents to take over, I might get in trouble with my ISP for using bittorent. PLEASE DON'T LET NORMAL DOWNLOADS DIE!!!!

Although the good news is there's now a temp server that is located a couple hours from where i live.
  • Right because plain text HTTP traffic can't possibly be read by your ISP.

Granted, they're probably more interested in torrent traffic, but unless it's music or the latest shittastic movie, they probably don't care.
  • Hi. Just some quick news, the chicago server is down. Just so you know.

EDIT: if you want to set up torrents, add them here: http://thepiratebay.org

I am a member, I just use other PCs @ other people's houses to do the bittorrenting (< is that even a word?).
  • Hi. Just some quick news, the chicago server is down. Just so you know.

EDIT: if you want to set up torrents, add them here: http://thepiratebay.org

I am a member, I just use other PCs @ other people's houses to do the bittorrenting (< is that even a word?).

If we set up torrents we'll either use our own private tracker or go trackerless with DHT/PEX. We definitely have no intention of uploading the torrents to sites like TPB.

Also, I don't understand the paranoia behind using torrents, especially in this case. For one, it's old abandonware and pre-release software. Not the kind of thing the MAFIAA and copyright nazis are monitoring. You can also enable protocol encryption in uTorrent to obfuscate things a bit more or even better just use a seedbox.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file