Microsoft Wheel Mouse and PS/2 to Serial Adapter problems

edited May 2012 in Hardware
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased a QVS CC2008RC PS/2 to Serial Adapter; I hooked it up to my Microsoft Wheel Mouse, Model X03-69944 Product ID 83351-576-; even though the mouse states "Wheel Mouse Serial and PS/2 compatible," all of my computers in my house (my old desktop, server; my dad's desktop) doesn't recognize the mouse. Both my dad's PC and my server have PS/2 adapters, but my old desktop has all Serial ports (one D-sub 9 and one D-sub 25). I connected the mouse to the Mouse Port (PS/2); my server & my dad's computer detected the mouse; works that way. Also, I noticed the product says IBM on it. Are there any ways I can actually get this mouse to work? The Serial port does work when I connected my keyboard to it, the Function light turned on and off when the computer was powering on...

Comments

• What's the OS and shall I assume a PS/2 or USB port is otherwise not available?

Serial Mice with wheels were few and far inbetween if they did really exist at all; wheels were really after their time. If you don't have Microsoft's IntelliPoint driver installed, do so. It's likely a specific protocol as if I recall, there was no true standard protocol for that over serial.
  • edited May 2012
    stitch wrote:
    What's the OS and shall I assume a PS/2 or USB port is otherwise not available?

Serial Mice with wheels were few and far inbetween if they did really exist at all; wheels were really after their time. If you don't have Microsoft's IntelliPoint driver installed, do so. It's likely a specific protocol as if I recall, there was no true standard protocol for that over serial.
    My server is running Windows Server 2003 R2, my dad's desktop is running Windows 7 Pro, and my old windbag computer is running Windows 98SE.
    I just installed the drivers, still nothing. Speaking of protocols, does protocol (Serial) mean setting the baud rate, stop bits, bits, Flow Control, and Parity to (example for a 2-button serial mouse: 1200bps, 7 bits, 1 stop bits, Xon/Xoff [Hardware, or none] - Flow control, and None [Even, Odd, Mark, Space] - Parity) to make the mouse work? My dad had set up a protocol when we used an IBM mouse on it; the mouse worked back then. Wouldn't hurt to test the port settings until the mouse works.
  • My server is running Windows Server 2003 R2, my dad's desktop is running Windows 7 Pro, and my old windbag computer is running Windows 98SE.
    I just installed the drivers, still nothing. Could it be a serial port problem?

Well as I said to my knowledge there's no standardized wheel protocol for serial mice as there is for PS/2 and USB. The labeled compatibility may just mean for clicking and movement only.
  • Yes back in the day they used to configure every serial COM port according to manufacturer settings. See if there is some documentation on the COM port settings and add a new one accordingly.
  • Josh wrote:
    Yes back in the day they used to configure every serial COM port according to manufacturer settings. See if there is some documentation on the COM port settings and add a new one accordingly.
    That's the problem. I don't have the manual for the WinBond W83758P/W83787IF Multi-Function Card anymore... I'm going to move some jumper settings on the multi-function card; test it out.
    edit: not working...