Removed Content & YET ANOTHER NOTE ON WinXP

edited February 2017 in Offers & Requests
Hi Folks,

We have removed two things recently due to DMCA complaints.

The first item in question is Office 2000. We still offer Office 97 which frankly, is just as equivalent in functionality as Office 2000.

The second item was the serials page. The DMCA in question listed "Microsoft Windows" and while that's very vague, I don't feel this place and what you all get for free is worth setting myself up for legal liability by filing a counter notice. We will eventually return the serials page once it's been cleaned up and contains abandonware and beta serials only. DO NOT ASK FOR WINDOWS XP, WINDOWS XP SERIALS, OR SERIALS FOR CURRENTLY SOLD/NON-ABANDONWARE PRODUCTS. The old thread was chock full of Windows XP related inquiries and the devils own serial, among others, which is more than likely the reason for the DMCA as the thread was fine before moron kids involved XP.

ONCE AGAIN, WE WILL NOT BE OFFERING WINDOWS XP!

Windows XP needs to become truly abandonware before we can offer it. Despite the support ending in less than a month, it's still used by some ~30% of systems in the world. A product is not abandoned when it's used by 30% of the systems in the world! If you can not comprehend this, you will be shown the door. It will be several years further, if at all, before we offer XP. Offering XP right now would just give folks another reason to not update to more modern software. Windows XP is going to become a huge security risk in a month due to it's high usage as it is, and from an Internet engineering standpoint, we're looking at a giant zombie botnet in the making unless people start upgrading. We at WinWorld do not want to promote the usage of XP for your general day-to-day usage due to this.

Since we have a fair amount of kids who chose to ignore our posting guidelines and will probably ignore this announcement, I will be restricting guest posting in ways in the coming few days.

Comments

• Made this global since I've disapproved 4 guest topics and three user made topics on this same topic.

Side Note: If you post a key for anything not abandonware, we WILL delete your post and possibly ban you. (I'd rather warn you on the first time then if you don't listen go for more extremes but I can't say what the other admins here will do.) See that topic in River of Dumb made by a troll about a Windows 2003 key? That guy was banned. Don't be that guy.
  • Due to the fact XP is retiring today, and some stupid kid out there will ignore the 10 other posts about this so once again:

WE WILL NOT BE OFFERING WINDOWS XP FOR DOWNLOAD

If you make a topic requesting Windows XP or any serials/cracks/bypasses for activation, you will be publicly ridiculed.
    Windows XP needs to become truly abandonware before we can offer it. Despite the support ending in less than a month, it's still used by some ~30% of systems in the world. A product is not abandoned when it's used by 30% of the systems in the world! If you can not comprehend this, you will be shown the door. It will be several years further, if at all, before we offer XP. Offering XP right now would just give folks another reason to not update to more modern software. Windows XP is going to become a huge security risk in a month due to it's high usage as it is, and from an Internet engineering standpoint, we're looking at a giant zombie botnet in the making unless people start upgrading. We at WinWorld do not want to promote the usage of XP for your general day-to-day usage due to this.
    Thanks for flying WinWorld.
  • I'll have to add into this because I've denied TWENTY-FIVE guest posts about XP and demands with comments like "fuck you, I want XP for download", and ones the past week like "well its 29.5%, post the fucking thing for us" (on the bright side, the one I denied today was actually more polite than the ones I've seen before it) since April 9th.
    Seriously, can you people read?!

Okay, I'm going to try and calmly explain why we're not offering XP for the foreseeable future. Even though articles say XP's market share is ~29% (some say its 26), we're still not going to carry it.

Why?

Okay, the general consensus within the abandonware community (us and other sites with the same goal) is to not carry software that is still widely used or supported. MS actually is actually releasing a patch for IE8 on XP, which means even though it's EOL, it's still supported. In addition, activation servers for XP are still functional and supported. Typically most abandonware sites I see out there follow the rule to not provide downloads for anything made beyond 2000, which is quite a logical idea since most DMCA notices are made for software made after 2000, and most guys don't seem to care about software that was made for ancient machines in today's terms unless it's still actively being sold and supported. The only exemption to this usually is software that's been made by a defunct company (one that no longer exists).

Also, if we did provide XP, we would have to provide a way to bypass product activation, which in itself is crossing from a legal grey area to a dark area right off the bat. MS does go after people to this day, providing the Devil's Own key (us for example received a DMCA for that key and a few others in our serials thread) and anti activation cracks. None of us here at Winworld want to cross over that grey area just for a few people's benefit. Hosting an abandonware site is already a legal gray area and a simple mistake can bring a site like this down. We're not going to chance that. If another site decides to host XP because we won't, that's fine and whatnot, but we're not risking ourselves any more than we have to already in hosting an abandonware site.

This conclusion was made by discussion between the staff members for a good bit and we don't intend to change our story on this for a while.

If you want XP, go to The Pirate Bay or somewhere, because we're not going to carry it. If we ever plan to, it won't be for several years if this site still exists then.

-noone
  • I've merged the two Windows XP announcements.
  • Just need to add a few more points to this thread, since it is linked from the main page, and the text I had is no longer there:

The purpose of Winworld is to preserve historical software that might otherwise disappear from the face of the earth, and act as an online museum so that others may learn about the past.

Windows XP is not rare or in danger of disappearing. Therefore it does not need to be here.

For those in urgent need of Windows XP, we recommend this fine web site: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... acat=58058

Microsoft still supports various incarnations of this software. The Point of Sale edition is supported until 2019. If they want, Microsoft may even choose to extend that support. Some individual companies or organizations may have extended support contracts for Windows XP.

Continued availability of Windows XP competes with newer Windows product sales - Microsoft wants you to buy Windows 10.

Continued availability of Windows XP also competes with other products - Dell really wants you to buy a new computer with Windows 10.

Percent usage is completely irrelevant.

The most important thing, above all else, is that Microsoft has asserted their copyright status regarding Windows XP. WinWorld respects this and therefore simply will not host Windows XP. No "if"s, "and"s, or "but"s.

This is not even really WinWorld's choice. - If Winworld posts Windows XP and ignores Microsoft, Microsoft will just send another DMCA and potentially have the site shut down. Anyone who requests Windows XP is essentially requesting for WinWorld to shut down!

You really don't like this? Get Staya Nadella on the phone. :p

Anyone who can not comprehend this fairly simple situation and requests/uploads Windows XP or later is not intelligent enough to be a member of Winworld, and may be immediately banned.
This discussion has been closed.