Software Spotlight: RightWriter

edited January 2015 in Software Spotlights
https://winworldpc.com/product/rightwriter/21

21-2fdc027c607119ac986ee891b5c4e41e-RightWriter%202.1%20-%20Splash.png

Released by RightSoft and later QUE/McMillian, RightWriter is basically a grammar checker, but it does more than. It also check various writing style elements, such as passive voice or the use of jargon.

The earliest versions are not much to look at. You just feed it a text file and it produces a marked up output file. I think there were versions for CP/M. Later versions feature an editor/viewer with a more interactive user interface and better export/import capabilities. It was eventually ported to Microsoft Windows.

I used to use version 2.1 quite a bit. It often pointed out stylistic errors that I would have never thought to look for. And it usually produced much more insightful results than its competitor, Grammatik.

Once word processors started integrating them, the market for standalone grammar checkers pretty much dried up.

There seems to be a current product by the name "RightWriter", does anyone happen to know if it is related?

... so lets see how I did: :)
Released by RightSoft and later QUE/McMillian, RightWriter is basically a grammar checker, but it does more than. It also check various writing style elements, such as passive voice or the use of jargon. 

The earliest versions are not much to look at. You just feed it a text file and it produces a marked up output file. I think<<*_3. WEAK: I think *>> there were versions for CP/M. Later versions feature an editor/viewer with a more interactive user interface and better export/import capabilities. It was eventually ported<<*_21. PASSIVE VOICE: was eventually ported *>> to Microsoft Windows.

I used to use version 2.1 quite a bit. It often pointed out stylistic errors that I would have never thought to look for. And it usually produced much more insightful<<*_10. OVERUSED: insightful *>> results<<*_11. AMBIGUOUS?: more insightful results *>> than its competitor, Grammatik. 

Once word processors started integrating them, the market for standalone grammar checkers pretty much dried up.

There seems to be a current product by the name "RightWriter<<*_14. REVERSED PUNCTUATION *>>", does anyone happen to know if it is related<<*_21. PASSIVE VOICE: is related? *>>?  

<<** SUMMARY **>>

OVERALL CRITIQUE FOR: spotlt.txt

READABILITY INDEX: 8.11
 Readers need an  8th grade level of education to understand.

Total Number of Words in Document: 161
       Total Number of Words within Sentences: 161
       Total Number of Sentences:  12
       Total Number of Syllables: 252

STRENGTH INDEX: 0.46
 The writing can be made more direct by using:
                       - the active voice

DESCRIPTIVE INDEX: 0.74
 The use of adjectives and adverbs is in the normal range.

JARGON INDEX: 0.00

SENTENCE STRUCTURE RECOMMENDATIONS:
           14. Consider using more predicate verbs.

<< WORDS TO REVIEW >>
Review the following list for negative words (N), colloquial
words (C), jargon (J), misspellings (?), misused words (?),
or words which your reader may not understand (?).
            CPM(?)  1                GRAMMATIK(?)  1
     INSIGHTFUL(J)  1                MCMILLIAN(?)  1
      MICROSOFT(?)  1                      QUE(?)  1
      RIGHTSOFT(?)  1                STYLISTIC(?)  1
              << END OF WORDS TO REVIEW LIST >>

Comments

• Cool!

I also uploaded RightWriter v3.2 for DOS / Tandy Deskmate.

a6ic.png

1pak.png

* RightWriter 3.2 (5.25" Floppy)

Content : 3 Disk Images from my original disk.

(SHA1 Information)

SHA1:202abde23087336e08eddcf08f07cfffce089e13 / RIGHTW#1.IMA
    SHA1:d2f25b5dc57ee4441ce58df79810d76941e8a296 / RIGHTW#2.IMA
    SHA1:8e19a911a44962bd9a96ed57949cb494dbcef71b / RIGHTW#3.IMA
  • Didn't know they had that for DeskMate.

Thanks for contributing to WinWorld, your primary source for ones and/or zeros!
  • SomeGuy wrote:

I remember, a couple years ago, my school used grammar checkers so they are not completely dead. Pretty annoying though, if I recall correctly, if you pressed F2 or something like that, some thing at the top of the screen came up related to the grammar checker. At least I'm not there any more.
  • * RightWriter v2.0 (1986)

Content : 1 Disk Image

SHA1:ae3872387a9a421c13f2f471ecb6ccae8fe85c9c / Disk 1
  • Thanks for all this SomeGuy & IBMPC5150.

Software spotlights can go in N&A going forward too =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file