EMails we don't need to get

edited June 2015 in News & Announcements
We got an EMail - since my phone wouldn't let me respond for some reason I'm just handling this here.

Guys for the last time there's nothing abandoned about XP. If you really want XP you can go find a copy off eBay/Amazon. The statistics shown on the front page are manually updated and given all the other stuff I have to do around here it's really the last of any concern. This is why it says As of (specific month). So hopefully the last time were having this conversation, it's not happening for a long time. If you have different opinions you are more than welcome to sync your own time and money into infrastructure to run your own site that offers it.
Hi,

Your website homepage says that 30% of computers still run XP. However, the link on your homepage takes me to a website where the latest statistics say very differently. According to your link that you provided, Windows XP accounts for 14.6% of the market, and Windows 8 and 8.1 combined add up to 16.45%. Additionally, you neglected to count Windows 7 which is newer than Windows XP and is still very much in support. Since Windows 7 accounts for a whopping 57.76% of all operating systems, it's fair to say that Windows XP is now far less popular than it's direct successor alone, as well as all following releases combined. For this reason, Windows XP now fills the final requirement for abandonware listed on your homepage. I know your homepage says not to ask about Windows XP, but then, your homepage also says it's more popular than Windows 8 and 8.1 combined, so I don't think it's safe to go by what your homepage says anymore. So, I ask you - will you be making Windows XP available, or do you want to continue to lie to about old statistics and make up your own arbitrary rules for what constitutes as "abandonware"? I hope you don't take this as rude, I'm simply pointing out the hypocrisy of your own requirements based on the most up-to-date statistics.
Have a good day,
Dan

Comments

• picard-facepalm.jpg

Seriously guys...
    Bash.org wrote:
    <[SA]HatfulOfHollow> i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet
  • As with the previous argument on Windows Vista, Windows XP is not rare, it is not uncommon, it is not in danger of popping out of existence like some titles on this site. Microsoft isn't really even trying to bury it. Future digital archaeologists will be pulling Windows XP CDs and AOL CDs out of their butts 1000 years from now.

Genuine copies are easy enough to find on eBay. Or just bug your local computer guy, they might throw a few trashed copies your way. If you really need a new valid license, go bug Microsoft. Of course, the people requesting this just want freebie warez. Well if you really need to, it is still easy enough to find unlicensed electronic copies... elsewhere.
  • SomeGuy has hit the nail on the head. We are a museum, not a warez ring.
  • Let's put it this way... XP should be abandoned. But it's not.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    Let's put it this way... XP should be abandoned. But it's not.

It's a shame, mostly every store I go to (especially with the mom and pops) has XP running on their registers, not to mention that my entire medical history is "safeguarded" by XP.
  • I don't quite understand...
    Your website homepage says 30% of computers still run XP.
    scqwqpqtlc.PNG
    The little things I point out.
  • The fact of the mater was that Windows XP was, and in many ways really still is, a very good OS package. It was very, very, popular especially coming out of the Win9x era. A great many application were developed for it, many of which people are still dependent on. There was a long enough delay before Vista that many people got comfortable and even complacent developing for and supporting this specific version. And it sold pre-installed on an insane number of computers.

Unlike newer versions, at last most of the nonsensical stuff could be turned off.

If some companies had it their way, they would have Microsoft continue "support". With enough money, they would.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    The fact of the mater was that Windows XP was, and in many ways really still is, a very good OS package. It was very, very, popular especially coming out of the Win9x era. A great many application were developed for it, many of which people are still dependent on. There was a long enough delay before Vista that many people got comfortable and even complacent developing for and supporting this specific version. And it sold pre-installed on an insane number of computers.

Unlike newer versions, at last most of the nonsensical stuff could be turned off.

If some companies had it their way, they would have Microsoft continue "support". With enough money, they would.

Define nonsensical? You can turn off quite a bit with Windows 7.

People hated XP back when it was brand new. It sucked because half your programs / games wouldn't run on XP or ran with quirky issues on XP. And tons of old peripherals lacked driver support for it.

The only reason people grew to like it was because it was around for long enough that new versions of programs and games were written for it. New drivers, new hardware... and eventually it was as good as 9x was in terms of support and with the stability of the NT kernel. And because Vista was delayed so much, people just got used to XP. Then when Vista came out, it had the same problems as XP did when it was new plus a few of its own and so people hated it and grew to love XP even more.

People still seem to have a bitter taste in their mouth from Vista and thus seem unwilling to give 7 a chance even though it is better than anything that came before it. And 8, despite the fact that it has made several performance improvements with more or less the same application and driver support that 7 and Vista, people treat it like the plague... all because of a little change in the user interface that takes about two seconds to get used to if you give it half a chance.

And all the people hoping that 10 will be their saving grace... I got news for you. It's basically 8 with a smaller start screen.
  • Go into this places software subforum and go back to 2004. Read all the anti XP nonsense. people hated XP just as much, if not more than 8 gets now.

People don't like change, it's nothing more than that.
  • lolz wow folks don't read obviously...

I still have win98se for my old games (classic rpgs and such yay) and still use winXP for my newer games and applications (I stopped buying games around 2005... hobby got too expensive). I upgraded to 7 a few years ago after 8 was on the market for a while once it dropped tremendously in price (i'm a poor programmer... my OS acquisition is slooow).

so for every new OS there will be haters. I'm sticking with 7 until I can figure out this Win 10 mess... and my software is outdated yet again -_-
  • Why people so obsessed with Windows 10 is in the beta stage don't real
    product in tit July 29, 2015. I think people put they hope and dreams in
    Windows 10 like Windows 8.1 because people at time though it new big thing
    turn out be flop. I hope with fix windows 10 in time before July 29 due date.

But i like Windows 10 use Windows 10 on VirtualBox don't real computer because
    i think it still beta stage, when real Windows 10 in still come out i still be use Windows 8.1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file