Server 2003 EOL

edited July 2015 in Software
So as you may know tomorrow is Windows Server 2003 end of life.
However I'm wondering if it'll become abandonware sometime after it reaches EOL.
Of course it won't become abandonware straight after it reaches EOL.
But, will it become abandonware sooner or later?
Not asking for the software, just wondering when and if it'll become abandonware.

Comments

• The rules for 2003 are pretty much the same as XP... which you can find clearly posted in various parts of the site and other forum threads.
  • Wow, where has the time gone?

It won't become "abandonware" enough for Winworld for quite a while yet. It would be interesting to see how many people are still really using it. (web stats won't really show you that).
  • nariz wrote:
    So as you may know tomorrow is Windows Server 2003 end of life.
    However I'm wondering if it'll become abandonware sometime after it reaches EOL.
    Of course it won't become abandonware straight after it reaches EOL.
    But, will it become abandonware sooner or later?
    Not asking for the software, just wondering when and if it'll become abandonware.
    By the time you've forgotten about it, we'll probably have it. That's when.
  • It's amazing how many clients I've seen that are still running 2003. The EOL thing has lit a fire under the butt of some of our clients though. We just completed a few 2003 to 2012 R2 migrations.
  • We still using it. Along whit 2008 and 2012. Because some software wont work on 2008 and newer.
  • I have a 2003 R2 Hyper-V VM currently running on my home server - just for file sharing of my own "WinWorld". On 2012 (not R2), 2003 is the oldest supported in Hyper-V. I just have the VM's MAC address blocked at the gateway, so can still use within the network but doesn't have net access.

The primary reason is that I just found it easier to share files over the network to my old Win 3.x/98 machines. I didn't want to lower the authentication level for NTLM either on the host to share files direct.

Originally the plan was to have a NT 3.51 Advanced Server VM running as a service within its own subnet, where I could connect my old ThinkPads to it in a domain setting.
  • On 2012 (not R2), 2003 is the oldest supported in Hyper-V.

2003 runs fine in 2012 R2 Hyper-V... we have a couple of them running in our 2012 R2 cluster.
  • My job still uses 2003 and XP embedded. Knowing them they will run it until 2020.