1.8" ZIF SSD Recommendations

edited August 2015 in Hardware
I have this old Latitude XT. When I got it, I chose the 40GB hdd option... However that was years ago and this disk is starting to piss me off. The accelerometer keeps parking the drive, and I already dealt with bootsector corruption once this year. And not to mention how slow this 4.2k drive is and I can barely fit win7 and office on it.

So, I've decided to upgrade the drive. However, it uses some bizarre, ancient disk format that shouldn't have been considered for an enterprise $3,000 2008 laptop. Which severely limits my choice of SSD's to some random Chinese brands I've never heard of, except KingSpec which I use for my exceptionally old x41T. However, KingSpec's quality has been in the toilet lately so I'm unsure there.

Any recommendations? My price range is up to 100 bucks, but I'll stretch it for quality.

Comments

• 40GB in a $3,000 from 2008 is kinda a rip off. I had a cheap $700 laptop in 2008 that was 160GB and was SATA.

You can get a 128GB SSD on newegg for that price. It's a ZIF/CE type drive.
    here
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    40GB in a $3,000 from 2008 is kinda a rip off. I had a cheap $700 laptop in 2008 that was 160GB and was SATA.

You can get a 128GB SSD on newegg for that price. It's a ZIF/CE type drive.
    here

The Latitude XT is a business class laptop and most businesses (especially on WinXP) wouldn't need all that much storage - that said, my Latitude D430, which I assume was around ~$1500 new even has an 80GB ZIF 1.8"
  • It'd have a 2.5" disk. I think there are SSDs for 2.5" IDE, but you can also use CF cards in an adapter. (The adapter is just for wiring - CF is IDE internally.)
  • Back then, I wasn't concerned the HDD space. For any power use, I would've used my giant HP Mediacenter PC with a 320GB from '05. All I really wanted was capacitive+digitizer support with 3G, WIFI and a fingerprint reader. Plus, XP took up... 2GB, Office 2k3 takes up 500-600Mb? Left me with like 30GB free. Nowadays, I barely squeak by with a 10GB leeway with 7-64 and office 2010-64.

I'll shoot for the KingSpec TCP linked. Hope I don't fall victim to the bad batches people have been getting.