Windows ME french

edited February 2016 in Site Issues
Hello, the iso contained in the archive 7z cannot be extracted, the archive is corrupted...
And the serial key is JMRBC-PCTMJ-DFHTD-YDDDW-4DBDD

Comments

• Thats odd, the 7z archive extracts fine for me, and the contents within the ISO seem to be intact.

Exactly what error are you getting, and where?
  • erfv9221 wrote:
    Hello, the iso contained in the archive 7z cannot be extracted, the archive is corrupted...
    And the serial key is JMRBC-PCTMJ-DFHTD-YDDDW-4DBDD
    What version 7-zip you use?
    Some older versions of 7-zip doesn't open 7z archives, possibly because compression scheme like LZMA2 in newer version while older don't.
  • Sorry for the delay, 7-zip 15.12 final 64 bits.
    I downloaded it 3 times, same problem.

The error is "This file can not be opened as an archive".
    I can make an 7z archive on my side, no problem for extract.
  • Oh, heck, 7z finally promoted their "beta" to release status. In theory that shouldn't be an issue....

Can you check the SHA1Sum and see if it matches the download page? (I'm not sure what the friendliest program to do that is off hand)
  • Indeed, the keys do not match... it's incredible, here the observation :
    My own archive : 324 Mo.
    The downloaded archive : 325 Mo. (I consider there is a readme file inside, so it might be the same content)
    And the site quote the size of the archive is 342.47 Mo. (it might only be false because my own archive is 324 Mo)

Suggestions ?
  • Your end of the connection is probably terminating the download early.

The size on the site is what you are to expect.
  • So, how can I make an archive of my iso with a size of 324 Mo, with almost the same size as the downloaded archive (325 Mo) ?

Mirror #1 Germany : the future download shows 327 Mo on Firefox...
    Mirror #2 Roubaix, France : ... 326 Mo... no comment.
    The both downloads purpose the same SHA-1, as written.

And the archive has never been 342 Mo, nowhere !
    Your best bet is to get back the original ISO and remake an archive with it...
    Required : 7zip last version, not 9 as written on the main page of the site...
    Right click on the iso -> 7-Zip -> Add to "Windows ME.7z" -> end of story.
  • Ok, something weird is going on here. I downloaded that the other day and it worked fine, but I don't keep larger foreign language versions around so I deleted it.

Now I tried re-downloading it to see if there is an issue against the new 7z, and trying from each mirror I am also getting truncated files. But of different sizes.
    WINDOW~1 7Z    341,540,864  11-20-15  3:34p Windows ME 4.90.3000 [FR] (OEM)m2.7z
    WINDOW~2 7Z    306,074,532  11-20-15  2:12p Windows ME 4.90.3000 [FR] (OEM)m3.7z
    WINDOW~3 7Z    342,458,368  11-20-15  2:57p Windows ME 4.90.3000 [FR] (OEM)m1.7z

wtf?
  • I have only downloaded from server 2 because server 3 does not respond (back to the main page without explication), and server 1 takes 3h to download instead of 1h on server 2.
    Fourth attempt : same as the first three times...
  • Hmm, finally managed to get a good download, anyway, the file size should be exactly 342,471,420 bytes. If it is not exactly that size then you won't be able to open it.
  • My compressed iso is 324 Mo, you say it is 342, how is this possible ? Are you sure this is the true iso ?
  • I wish I knew exactly what was causing this. It is probably a faulty router or something out there in one of the telecommunications companies that connects everything together. Not much that can be done about it. I'd say just retry the download a few more times until you get one that is a full 342,471,420 bytes - but the downloads are turned off at the moment.
  • i still have the same problem, after 20 attempts (yes, 20)

Normally, according to you, it is 342 Mo.
    24mbxjl.png

Firefox notice 326 Mo.
    33en9f8.png

my downloaded archive is 325 Mo on the disk.
    2vb60yv.png

If I compress my original iso myself, it is 324 Mo, NOT 342 Mo.
    14ux469.png

Are you sure it is the true iso inside the archive... what the hell is going on ? How do you compress your submitted files ?
  • Up, I brought clarifications !
  • All that I can tell you is that if the file you downloaded is anything other than 342,471,420 bytes in size, then you will not be able to open it, as it will be corrupt. Different archivers will give you different error messages, or open the containing folder instead.

If you do get a file that is 342,471,420 bytes in size, then you should be able to open it, and it does contain a valid ISO image inside of it.

I don't know why this is occurring. It has been brought to my attention that the QuickBasic 4.5 download is also suffering from this issue.

I have a hunch there might be an intermediate network cache somewhere with corrupted cached copies, but this may not be at our end.

I'll keep an eye on the situation, but all I can suggest right now, if downloading from here doesn't work is to just look elsewhere.

Sorry about that :/
  • Strange, I re-uploaded a good copy of QuickBasic 4.5 and I'm still seeing that issue on that file. I wonder what is going on?
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Strange, I re-uploaded a good copy of QuickBasic 4.5 and I'm still seeing that issue on that file. I wonder what is going on?
    Funny, I tried downloading QuickBasic and it was borked as well. I wonder what's causing these glitches.
  • I took a bit of a hack at it, and I think I found the problem. There is a known bug in the PHP "ssh2_scp_send" function that results in file truncations. The push scripts use that to send that to the mirrors, and resulted in a bunch of corrupt archives. Some excuse about not closing the connection resulting in it not writing some buffers. Here it is all the way in 2016 and there are still no reliable file transfer APIs.

Going forward, a workaround is just to add the line \ssh2_exec($this->_sshc, 'exit');

I've re-pushed a bunch of the recent uploads, and that seems to have fixed a bunch of downloads, at least on mirror 3. It seems Mirror 2 doesn't permit updating existing files? I'll have to dig in to that a bit closer.

There may be more corrupted downloads out there though. It seems like Mirror 1 didn't experience that problem. Unfortunately, from the sound of it, Mirror one is gone for good now.

I just finished fixing a bunch of downloads that previously had not gotten pushed to mirrors 2 and 3. If anyone sees any that don't have a mirror listed, please report them.

There are still a bunch that are not on both 2 and 3 but I'll address those later.
  • SomeGuy first of all thank you *very* much for the initiative taken on that. Second can you please EMail me a report on the extent of changes you made and where you made them so I can reflect this in dev.

Anything on wdl1 (which is online, and will be paid shortly) will probably face this same bug. However if you never removed anything from that contrib_hold directory it can just be manually rsynced to all 3 mirrors to correct the issue I believe.
  • Ok, figured out the issue with mirror 2, the mirror settings were pointing towards the wrong download folder. The stuff I had previously attempted to re-push was there, it was just in the wrong place. Moved them to where they should be and corrected the settings.
  • I think I whacked the last of the corrupt files on mirror 2 and 3, and mostly got everything synced between the mirrors. So if we lose another mirror, at least we won't lose a bunch of files.

Which reminds me:
    stitch wrote:
    Anything on wdl1 (which is online, and will be paid shortly).
    Does that mean it will be back? I can't even ping it now.

I've been holding off on processing some new stuff so I don't have to bother going back and re-syncing those later.
  • Hetzner was being weird about it but honestly beyond downloads, that box serves no more purpose for me and is going to be canceled. I think it will require a manual database entry to remove it, but we'll see.