Should I use AT or ATX power supplies when repairing old PC?

edited May 2016 in Hardware
I have a three old computers (386, 486, Pentium) and some Pentium Baby AT motherboards. I would like to repair the computers, but what would you recommend: AT or ATX power supplies?

The new AT power supplies are between 60-70 euros in a local store.

ATX power supplies can be bought from anywhere, but they are missing the -5 volt needed by some ISA cards. I would also then need to buy an adapter cable for connecting ATX power supply to AT motherboard.

The old AT power supplies have most bad looking capacitors and would like to use new power supplies instead because the old are probably causing problems.

Comments

• I've contemplated this myself.

Can you find something like this at your local store?

http://www.outletpc.com/c8264.html#
  • The bigger issue is if the power supply will physically fit. Some vendors used proprietary shapes.

Also you may have to add or modify a power switch on some AT form cases.

I think the -5 volt lines were only used by a few early cards. Memory cards with 16k ram chips (and the original 5150 motherboard itself) come to mind. For 386s and later you probably won't have any problems.
  • My Digital Venturis 486 (20 years old) required a PS replacement several years ago. Problem was 12v line dropped too low.

I initially purchased (2) refurbished OEM replacement PS from Ebay. However, these lasted only about a year each.
    Same problem in each was the 12v line dropped to under 10v.

Fortunately, I have found AT replacements on Amazon.com ($35 - less than I paid for the refurbished units on Ebay).
    This new PS is roing on its 4th year now.

I have an ATX (with AT adapter) to try, but have not used this option yet. As long as I can get NEW AT replacements, that is my preferrred choice for replacement.
  • Keep in mind that the newer ATX power supplies no longer have the -5V line (pin 13). So if you're running an ISA expansion card, you might have some issues. Not sure what actually required it though, but I think it may have been older 8-bit sound cards.
  • I've contemplated this myself.

Can you find something like this at your local store?

http://www.outletpc.com/c8264.html#
    I have not seen any of these adapter cables for sale here. If I will find some place to order cheaply adapter cables, I could also order some of them on ebay.

SomeGuy wrote:
    The bigger issue is if the power supply will physically fit. Some vendors used proprietary shapes.

Also you may have to add or modify a power switch on some AT form cases.

I think the -5 volt lines were only used by a few early cards. Memory cards with 16k ram chips (and the original 5150 motherboard itself) come to mind. For 386s and later you probably won't have any problems.
    The AT cases I have use standard components, so ATX power supplies could also be used. I have just taken apart one 486 computer that had a leaking battery and I have to check first the ISA cards if any of them uses -5 volts. If yes, then I may have to buy a new AT power supply.

I think the old AT power supply could also be quite easily repaired if the problem is only with the capacitors. But I don't have experience of fixing power supplies, so have to really think about it because it may be dangerous.