Common Hardware in 1996

edited June 2016 in Hardware
So, this has probably been asked before, but I was wondering exactly what hardware was like for common people in 1996. I was wondering whether 64MB of RAM was normal, if less was more heard of, and the normal Hard Disk sizes of the time. I try to make my emulation as accurate as possible, and any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

It would also be helpful to learn about processors available at the time, and see what the cheapest, functional PC would be like in those times.

(Of course, by 'functional' I don't mean things like the Brother Super PowerNote https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0OAv-j-qGE which was quite cheap for the time, but more of a joke than anything else. Video by vwestlife)

Anywho, I'm hoping to see what the realistic specs would be for a usable machine back then, with real DOS/Windows and all.

I'm generally looking for a PC under $2000 for the time.

Comments

• I remember that time well as I was upgrading from a 286 that year.

In 1996, used PCs under $1,000 were typically 486s of some sort and 386s maybe for a couple of hundred.

New PCs were generally Socket 7 Pentiums. Cheaper models were typically using the Pentium 75 - 133 Mhz CPU with either 8 to 16 MB EDO RAM, 1-2 MB S3 Trio64 PCI video card or equivalent, SoundBlaster or compatible sound card, 850MB to 1.3GB hard disk drives, an 4 to 8x CD-ROM drive. and probably a 14" or 15" SVGA monitor. These were usually around $1,500 to $2,000 from a computer shop. Branded PCs were more expensive.

Should someone go for something more expensive it would be the Pentium 150 - 200 Mhz CPU with 32 MB EDO RAM, 4 MB S3/Diamond/Matrox PCI video card, SoundBlaster AWE 32/64 sound card, 2GB hard disk drive, 8x CD-ROM drive, and a 17" or 19" SVGA monitor.

The Pentium MMX CPUs hadn't been released yet. 3D videos cards weren't really mainstream. Windows 95 OSR 2.1 was the standard OS.
    I found the Pentium 75, 100, 133, and 166 to be the most popular with people at the time. The 90, 120, 150, and 200 just didn't seem to sell as much at least where I live in Australia.
  • So 64MB was basically for people who wanted the most powerful computer on the planet...

Same with a 2 Gb hard disk.

So, the cheapest would have been a 386 with something around an 800MB hard disk and 8MB of RAM?

And I'm guessing a medium PC would be a 486, a 1.3GB drive, with 16MB of RAM.

And for the ridiculously expensive, a Pentium, 2GB hard disk, and 32MB of RAM.

[EDIT]
    I'm wondering about '98 as well. As you can probably tell, I didn't walk the Earth at these times, so I have really no idea what it was like, apart from emulating. I have a couple of older PCs too, but never used them daily, just for collection's sake.

[EDIT 2]
    I'm currently in the process of creating a Windows 95 machine with a 486 processor, and 16MB of RAM on PCem
    >went for the middle specs

[EDIT 3]
    ...And now I'm completely lost on the new hard disk menu.
    It lists the size in heads and cylinders, not GB or MB
    I have no earthly clue about Hard Disk geometry.

[EDIT4]
    Thankfully this is the last edit. It took a bit of digging, but I found out how to make hard drives of all sizes with HDD Geometry
  • Okay, so I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing with PCem.

I'm a long time DOSBOX, VPC, and Virtualbox user.

Every time I boot a system, it says 'CMOS memory mismatch'.

Also, I have no idea which BIOS system is ideal for running Windows 95.

Also, I have no idea how to use a hard disk, floppy, or CD-ROM drives.

I'm used to having this all done for me by the emulator.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ratman743 wrote:
    So 64MB was basically for people who wanted the most powerful computer on the planet...

Same with a 2 Gb hard disk.

So, the cheapest would have been a 386 with something around an 800MB hard disk and 8MB of RAM?

And I'm guessing a medium PC would be a 486, a 1.3GB drive, with 16MB of RAM.

And for the ridiculously expensive, a Pentium, 2GB hard disk, and 32MB of RAM./quote]

I'd say power would be more associated to having a Pentium 200 at the time. 64MB RAM wasn't really in mainstream PCs but probably in servers at the time. Think of having 32GB RAM now but really having 8-16GB RAM does what 95% of us want to do. It was really all about the CPU back then. RAM wasn't exactly cheap in those days.

386s were more likely to have a hard disk anything between 120MB to 500MB or so. The BIOS would unlikely detect a hard disk bigger than that, and many 486s have a similar limitation. The RAM in a 386 was often as low as 2 or 4MB, though 8MB was frequently seen. Not only that but often 386 and 486s wouldn't have SVGA but only VGA so you were limited to 16 colours usually at 640x480 resolution.

Unless someone upgraded or needed to replace their hard disk, many of the 486s I'd seen had drives up to around 850MB, some as low as around 200MB.

I've haven't really played with PCem although I do find the being able to use and choose ROMs appealing for an emulator. If it was me I'd probably look at trying the 430VX BIOS ROM file as that's from a Pentium board and combining with the S3 Trio64 for video. Windows 95 would also pick that up without installing additional drivers. Failing that it should also be possible using the AMI 486 BIOS ROM file.
  • I've tried the AMI 486 BIOS, but PCem eats up Big Bertha like crazy.
    (Yes, I named my computer. I'll give you the specs for it
    *Intel Pentium 4 @ 2.66GhZ, no HT
    *160GB Hard Disk
    *2GB DDR2 RAM
    *Nvidia GeForce6200 w/ 512MB dedicated vram
    *Some sort of Soundblaster with x-fi HD
    *Windows XP Home Edition SP3)
    It's a modified Dell Dimension 2400, basically. I'm not sure as to why it lags my computer so bad.
    DosBox and Virtual PC 2004 don't do the same thing.

I haven't yet tried it on my Dell Inspirion 640m, but the specs aren't much better, if not worse. The only saving grace of that laptop is the fact that it has a Dual Core processor.

*Intel Dual Core Processor @ 1.60GhZ
    *2.5GB DDR2 RAM
    *256MB Intel Integrated Graphics
    *80GB Hard Disk
    *Windows 7 SP1
    *Integrated HD Audio
  • I was going to say if you wanted something close to the real thing, you would actually need the real hardware. Emulation is far from accurate and the only thing that comes close is MESS, but it's so broken.
  • edited June 2016
    I can tell you some common hardware of 1996, because I used to have a computer from that time! It was equipped with:

8-16MB RAM (Blazing fast!)

512MB HDD (How can you ever fill that space up?)

Some Intel x86 CPU (maybe 486 or Pentium)

CD-ROM drive (later upgraded to CD-RW)

3.5" floppy drive

Windows 95
  • Erito17 wrote:
    I can tell you some common hardware of 1996, because I used to have a computer from that time! It was equipped with:

32MB RAM (Blazing fast!)

8GB HDD (How can you ever fill that space up?)

32MB of RAM? 8GB hard drive? How deep were your pockets? According to my copy of PCGamer July '96 edition, the Ultimate Gaming Machine had 16MB of EDO and a 1 - 1.2GB hard drive.

PCGamerCover_JUL_1996_zpsf5jjguin.jpg
  • Sorry, my mistake.

The machine came with 8-16MB of ram and a 512MB HDD.

Later in its life it was upgraded to the specs I mentioned before.
  • And just for further reference, a scan from some magazine I picked up back in '97

2kA0tLC.jpg
  • Well, glancing at my 1996 JDR Microdevices catalog (probably late 1996, it dosn't say):

"Surf the Net Faster!" with a MCT 33,600 BPS V42.BIS internal modem for $129.95
    8.0GB Tape backup Just $389.95
    8X ATAPI CD-ROM: $129.95
    Seagate 1.27GB hard drive $205.95
    Sound Blaster compatible (Taiwanese knock off): $29.95
    On the low end: AM486DX4-100 - $49.95
    On the high end: Pentium Pro 200MHZ - $739.00
    Intel Overdrive BOXDX4DDP75 - $149.95
    72-Pin SIMS Low end: 512KX35-70 2MB $49.96
    High End: 16MX36-60 32MB $539.00
    But for upgrading they sold DIP chips all the way back to the 4116 16Kx1 ($0.89 each!)
    Thir budget motherboard seems to be a VESA/ISA 486 100MHZ, Opti Chipset, Zif Sockrt, AMI BIOS, Up to 128MB RAM, 256K-512K cache, DOS, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, DESQView 386, Novel Netware and OS/2 Compatible: 199.95!
    Loads of other good parts and upgrades. Lots of nice no-nonsence beige AT tower and desktop cases, power supply upgrades for "8088"(PC/XT), "286"(Desktop AT), and "Upright" machines.
    Microsofts new dumb looking "natural" keyboard - $89.95
    A budget 1024*768 14" VGA monitor for $299.95
    or a nice NEC Multisync XV17+ for $819.00 (I had one of those)
    Cheap low-profile VGA IS card for $49.95
    Stealth PCI A3 Vision 968 2MB videocard for $199.95
    Or you could still buy a combo MDA Herc/CGA ISA card for $49.95
    Ohhh, a 4-drive floppy controller MCT-FDC-HD4 for $59.95 - people kill for these on eBay.
    IOMega parallel port Zip drive: $149.95
    Snappy Video Grabber with lame parallel port interface $199.95
    Genuine Sound Blaster AWE32PNP - $239.95
    As always they had every cable imaginable
    Software upgrades include:
    Lotus 1-2-3 $99.96
    Microsoft Office 95 $239.95
    Norton Utilities 95 $59.95
    Paradox 7 - $99.95
    And WordPerfect $99.95
    Dericks's High Tech Corner wonders why there are no 16" CRTs.
    All this and more in their printed catalog or get "Unadvertised Specials on Our World Wide Web Site - See Page 67 or Browse http://www.jdr.com"
  • Ratman743 said: "Every time I boot a system, it says 'CMOS memory mismatch'."

The memory size in PCEMs SETTINGS\CONFIG do not match the Bios.

Check the memory size in SETTINGS\CONFIG. Then from FILE, do a hard reset.
    Watch for the message to RUN SETUP to see what key to press to enter Bios.
    Enter Bios and set the memory to match PCEMs SETTINGS\CONFIG.

This should correct the memory mismatch and allow the system to proceed.
    Remember that the Bios needs to be setup correctly just like a real PC.
  • altracker9: I fiddled with it a bit, and it worked! I was able to create a Windows 95 machine on a 486, with a 1.3 gig hard disk, and around 16MB of RAM.

Microsoft Office '95 was $239.95?! Even Office 2013 Professional is only around $126.
    It seems to me that anything related to computers was horrendously expensive at that time.
    SomeGuy said: "or a nice NEC Multisync XV17+ for $819.00 (I had one of those)"
    $819.00. I'm speechless.
    Adding inflation to that, I'd say owning a decent computer then would cost enough to buy a used car.

It's also interesting to note that a keyboard then would cost you $89.95.
    A decent keyboard today is only around $20.00, unless you're a 'fancy gamer' kind of guy, then you're spending $200.00 on a keyboard that glows green or something like that.

Doing the math on this, I'd say that if someone wanted to build their own decent PC (I'm not even going that all-out here), it would look something like this:
    *Seagate 1.27GB hard drive $205.95
    *AM486DX4-100 - $49.95
    *16MX36-60 32MB $539.00
    *Microsoft's new dumb looking "natural" keyboard - $89.95
    *A budget 1024*768 14" VGA monitor for $299.95
    *Cheap low-profile VGA IS card for $49.95
    *Genuine Sound Blaster AWE32PNP - $239.95
    *8X ATAPI CD-ROM: $129.95
    (That's just the hardware, assuming the person buys only from this magazine for some stupid reason.)

$2,084.65
    That is around the general price of PCs back then anyways, I guess.
    I'm not doing this for all top-line products... That would just be a ridiculous amount of money.
  • Also keep in mind that we were still coming out of an era where computers where primarily a tool for big businesses. Even today businesses love to throw money at expensive servers, workstations, or software.

If you really want to see some really crazy prices, look at a Tandy RadioShack catalog from the 1980s. Many of their business machines even had monthly leasing options!

That MS keyboard was the only interesting one, they did also list a number of cheap looking ~$20 Taiwanese-made keyboards.

And now that I think of it, I probably bought my NEC XV17 locally some time later for about half that.

As I recall JDR did overprice some of their things, but they had some decent stuff.
  • That is true.
    Many 'Gaming' PCs are also quite expensive.
    Personally, I don't see the point in spending that much money on a computer, when I use a PC with only 2GB of RAM, and a Pentium 4 daily.

I guess that's close to how it was back then too, even in '96. Most people just didn't feel the need to upgrade, so a lot used 386's, with less than 8MB of RAM.

[EDIT]
    Is there any possible way to mount a .iso file to PCem? I'm using Windows XP, so there isn't any 'virtual mounting' that comes with it, unlike Windows 7.
  • Well, now I'm having more issues with PCem.

After I got the CMOS all handy-dandy, I tried to install MS-DOS 5 to the VHD.
    I was able to boot off of the floppy, but when it came time to format the hard disk, it would not work.
    It rebooted as usual, then the BIOS gave me the error, 'OS Not Found'.
    It refused to boot from floppy, and I'm guessing that's because when I tried to format the HDD, it thought it was a bootable volume, and tried to default to it.

More concerning, there is no way to change the boot order in BIOS.

I tried mounting the image, formatting it to FAT, and moving the MS-DOS files in manually, which gave the error "Remove Disks, and press any key to reboot" When there were no floppy images.
  • BOD wrote:
    And just for further reference, a scan from some magazine I picked up back in '97

[snip]

Interesting. I've seen that case before used by DFI (486 DX2-66). I would love to add it to my collection.

DSCN0089.JPG
  • A general brand new PC would have been a 386 if you were cheap, 486 if you weren't, or a Pentium if you had cash to spare or needed the processing power.

386 ranged from 12Mhz to I believe 50MHz(?)
    486 ranged from 33MHz(?) to 100MHZ
    Pentium ranged from 50MHz to 233MHz (233 was not around at the time I don't think)

A normal hard drive was between 60MB and 1.2GB.

Most computers had between 4MB and 64MB stock, but many supported up to 128MB.

A computer under $2000 in 1996 would probably be about like this:
    Intel 80486SX 66MHz, 8MB of RAM, an 80MB or so hard disk, MS-DOS 5 / Windows 3.1 (or 95), whatever video chipset was built into your computer (probably S3 or Cirrus Logic for the time).

3DFX VooDoo was a godsend if you played games in '96, though.

The ultimate 1996 PC would look something like this:
    Intel Pentium MMX 233MHz, 128MB of RAM, 2GB hard disk, Windows 95, S3 Trio64, 3DFX VooDoo 12MB.

My memory probably has failed me once again, I might be remembering a different time period or I might have just made up my own somehow. I'm only 35 and I feel 70...
  • I ended up with an old PC from early 1995 my relatives didn't need anymore. Here's the specs:

Packard Bell Axcel 251CD Plus
    Windows 3.xx upgraded to Windows 95 RTM
    Intel 80486DX2 processor @ 66MHz
    8Mb of RAM
    3 1/2" 1.44Mb floppy drive
    545Mb Seagate hard disk
    Generic CD-ROM drive, speed unknown
    Cirrus Logic onboard VGA graphics, 512Kb VRAM
    Ess AudioDrive ISA soundcard (SB16 clone)
    Some generic ISA dial-up modem
    2 PS/2 ports, 1 parallel port, and 1 serial port
    PS/2 Packard Bell keyboard and generic mouse

This seems to have been a low-end economy system or a lower mid-grade PC. Some people really bash old Packard Bell, but I like their stuff.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    I ended up with an old PC from early 1995 my relatives didn't need anymore. Here's the specs:

8Mb of RAM
    545Mb Seagate hard disk

This seems to have been a low-end economy system or a lower mid-grade PC. Some people really bash old Packard Bell, but I like their stuff.

You're a bit low on RAM there, but I suppose that wasn't unusual to see systems with 8MB of RAM in 1996.
  • AiO_Inc. wrote:
    BigCJ wrote:
    I ended up with an old PC from early 1995 my relatives didn't need anymore. Here's the specs:

8Mb of RAM
    545Mb Seagate hard disk

You're a bit low on RAM there, but I suppose that wasn't unusual to see systems with 8MB of RAM in 1996.
    Yeah, it was a cheaper system, and I've got a couple of RAM sticks that would upgrade it to 40Mb. But I like using the basic, stock computer. I really don't need more than 8Mb anyway. Runs Win95 relatively fast and other programs like Office 97 and NESticle (NES emulator) all work well. You could be amazed at what some old systems can do. I sometimes am.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    AiO_Inc. wrote:
    BigCJ wrote:

8Mb of RAM
    545Mb Seagate hard disk

Yeah, it was a cheaper system, and I've got a couple of RAM sticks that would upgrade it to 40Mb. But I like using the basic, stock computer. I really don't need more than 8Mb anyway. Runs Win95 relatively fast and other programs like Office 97 and NESticle (NES emulator) all work well. You could be amazed at what some old systems can do. I sometimes am.

I hear you on that last part, ever seen a Windows 98 machine play Minecraft?

I try to make it a rule that all my Windows 3.1 and later machines have to have at least 16MB of RAM because when I have multiple things open, I tend to have almost everything open.

The oldest Windows 95 machine I have is an unbranded 386DX that I haven't turned on in ages. Been more focused on my Pentium 4 system, which has gotten a case of a bad power supply.