Is it possible to make a fake Xtra-PC dongle?

edited December 2016 in Software
I recently discovered that there is this special flash drive called ''Xtra-PC'' that comes with a special lightning-fast linux distribution and it is supposed to turn your slow PC into a fast one (it can also be used for allowing other users to tracelessly use your PC, or if you garbage-picked an old PC that has no hdd). I was wondering if it is possible to make my own out of one of my high-speed flash drives so that I don't have to spend 25 bucks in order to test one out on my already super-fast PC?

Best regards and thanks ahead of time,
pcgeek

Comments

• Why not just use any other Linux distro instead of some proprietary piece of shit?
  • Had to look that up, is that all the "Xtra-PC" is? Just a Linux OS on USB drive? You can't speed up a computer these days just by putting a different OS on it unless you forgot to install an ad blocker and got owned with malware.

Anyway, most Linux distros support putting their OS on a flash drive in one form or another. It can be faster than a live CD and may use the extra writable space space for storage. Just need to google for your distro's specifics. For older machines that can't boot USB there is the good old Ploop boot loader floppy.
  • Ok, I know about the other flash drive distros. I was justbthinking about reviewing that specific one to see how good it is and whether it really boosts the speed or not. :)
    If anyone here has an xtra-pc, can I get a copy of it (factory settings, whatever image file format that can be directly extracted onto a flash drive)?
  • pcgeek wrote:
    Ok, I know about the other flash drive distros. I was justbthinking about reviewing that specific one to see how good it is and whether it really boosts the speed or not. :)
    Of course it boosts the speed of the user experience of the computer, its linux. And personally i wouldn't buy that piece of shit. Linux is free and open source and you can do the same thing that xtra-pc with Ubuntu on a flash drive. What that xtra-pc is really doing is just providing linux to the general public using easy to under stand language. Sure it will speed up your mid-old computer. Also have you seen the system requirements for this device? It looks like the same thing for Lubuntu, which isn't really for old computers. I would say if you really want something for a real old computer, just use DSL, puppy Linux, or use tails. At least tails gives you security. Not just some BS about buying a linux os on a micro usb and how it will speed up your computer 10 fold.
  • Ok, I was just curious. :)
    Thanks anyway!
  • The better way to boot Linux or other OS from an old PC that do not support booting usb drives is with an Compact Flash (CF) to IDE interface adapter. There are internal and external types.
  • i think you can make a bootable partition through EasyBCD of it
  • I can see where effort spent to optimize an OS - any OS could make a real difference in boot-up and useful speed - especially if the system relies on just a few apps for daily function..
    There was a real fad period Windows XP went through for example - people paring it down, getting "small", then mini, then "micro" versions - going to the embedded variants - all in an attempt to reduce boot time, increase speed of the most common jobs someone may use the PC for.

It's only 25 bucks to find out - and looks like the thumb drive is included - heck of a bargain.

I personally would never refer to anothers' work as "a piece of shit" - especially if one has no clue what the other has done.

For awhile, Walmart was selling a stripped down PC with a version of Linux that had a very "Mac-like" desktop. I downloaded and dual booted it on a laptop, and I must say, it was fun to play with, and very reliable.
  • 02k-guy wrote:
    I can see where effort spent to optimize an OS - any OS could make a real difference in boot-up and useful speed - especially if the system relies on just a few apps for daily function..
    There was a real fad period Windows XP went through for example - people paring it down, getting "small", then mini, then "micro" versions - going to the embedded variants - all in an attempt to reduce boot time, increase speed of the most common jobs someone may use the PC for.

It's only 25 bucks to find out - and looks like the thumb drive is included - heck of a bargain.

I personally would never refer to anothers' work as "a piece of shit" - especially if one has no clue what the other has done.

For awhile, Walmart was selling a stripped down PC with a version of Linux that had a very "Mac-like" desktop. I downloaded and dual booted it on a laptop, and I must say, it was fun to play with, and very reliable.

You are ABOSOLUTELY right about it being wrong to insult another's work. If you (or anyone else) here acquires an xtra-pc dongle, please upbload a flash drive image of any kind so I can test the os myself. :)
  • pcgeek wrote:
    02k-guy wrote:
    I can see where effort spent to optimize an OS - any OS could make a real difference in boot-up and useful speed - especially if the system relies on just a few apps for daily function..

You are ABOSOLUTELY right about it being wrong to insult another's work. If you (or anyone else) here acquires an xtra-pc dongle, please upbload a flash drive image of any kind so I can test the os myself. :)

Since it /is/ only $25, and since /you/ seem so keen on it, how bout /you/ spend the coin, write a review and upload it to some place we all can access.

Archival repositories aren't meant to be welfare camps or soup kitchens.HAR!
This discussion has been closed.