Unable to upload large file

edited December 2016 in Site Issues
I have the [Mac OS Anthology '99] package, which is about 30GiB in size. This product contains all versions of Mac OS from 7.0 to 9.2.2, for all available languages that Apple released it.

During the upload, I am receiving a time out error (see below).

Since this is a very large package, I am not sure if it is worhwile to upload. From my end, I do not have any problems with data usage :)

Suggestions?

$ ftp -u ftp://ww_2187006155:MIHNU8nsVKk3i9d@winworldpc.com Mac\ OS\ Anthology\ \'99/*
Connected to winworldpc.com.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.4a Server (ProFTPD) [69.175.72.35]
331 Password required for ww_2187006155
230 User ww_2187006155 logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
200 Type set to I
local: Mac OS Anthology '99/Mac OS Anthology '99 Disk 1.cdr remote: Mac OS Anthology '99/Mac OS Anthology '99 Disk 1.cdr
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||54692|)
ftp: Can't connect to `69.175.72.35': Operation timed out
200 PORT command successful
550 Mac OS Anthology '99/Mac OS Anthology '99 Disk 1.cdr: No such file or directory

Comments

• That is probably a problem with your ISP or your FTP program (we generally recommend filezilla)

However, PLEASE don't waste your time trying to upload stuff that is probably already on Winworld. I assume this is some big torrent from somewhere? As such it would be low-priority anyway as it is already out there somewhere.

In this case, I would ask you please to do your best to determine if individual files are a: not already on Winworld, and b: actually worthy of uploading (for example, original working dumps).

I don't mind "batch" uploads, but please keep individual files under 2GB.

Honestly, we are low on mirror space so I have been putting off some larger files.

Also, as you probably already noticed, this FTP does not have a "resume" function so when an upload fails, the broken file is not written at all.

You can split large files using WinRAR, but again please keep them small in the first place.
  • Hi

This is a product from Apple [http://www.storiesofapple.net/the-mac-os-anthology.html]. This is the version '99 with a total of 8 DVDs.

I can join and split it as necessary. Just need to be sure it is worthwhile to upload it.

"Introduced on the stage by Steve Jobs during the May 1999 WWDC Keynote, the “Mac OS Anthology” was a collection of many Mac OS operating systems to aid (registered) third party developers in testing their software for compatibility.

The first Mac OS Anthology boxsetIt was presented originally in the form of a boxset of 4 DVDs which included all of the releases of the Macintosh operating systems since System 7 ’til the current one which at the time was Mac OS 8.5.

The DVDs were chosen for their archival capacity and featured all of the international localizations of the systems, up to 25 languages.

Volumes 5 and 6 were devoted to Mac OS 8.6, just introduced at the aforementioned 1999 WWDC so the contents of the DVDs, which by the way are not bootable, at the end of the year became as follows:

__ Disc 1: 7.0, 7.0.1, 7.1, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.5, 7.5.3, 7.5.5 Update, 7.6.1, OS 8.0
    — Disc 2: OS 8 (continued), OS 8.1
    — Disc 3: OS 8.1 (continued)
    — Disc 4: OS 8.1 (continued), OS 8.5, OS 8.5.1
    — Disc 5: OS 8.6
    — Disc 6: OS 8.6 (continued)

Later, in February of 2000 Apple offered to ADC developers two more volumes for Mac OS 9 (in 15 languages) collecting the other four in a new, second boxset labeled “2000 edition”."