De Upgrading XP!

edited June 2004 in Software
I want to get rid of xp but I cannnot figure out how to install windows 98 or 95 without a floppy. but When I try To Install it I get a message that says I cannot run setup in this version of NT does anybody Know how to Not use NT or where to fine a downloadable boot CD :sick:

Comments

• First, you'd probably better not !
    I don't know enough about your computer to say for sure but some computers such as Compaq and HP use a lot ot slightly off parts and then write their own drivers for just one operating system and you may end up with no operating system at all.
    Second, you will need to set up a fat 32 partition and can use fdisk.
    If you have no floppy then you can get what you need to burn a CD to boot as a floppy here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    If you try it, Good Luck.
    Thump
  • Ok, just get a 9x/ME bootdisk from bootdisk.com.

Now, reboot your computer, with the bootdisk, and choose "Start Computer without cd support" or something like that. Now wait for it to start up.

Type "FDISK" Then choose View NonDos Partition or Delete non dos partition. Delete it and create a new partition that is FAT 32.

Then type FORMAT C:

Now type Y

It will format.

Put the OS CD in your PC, and reboot.

Someone Please Correct Me if I'm WRONG.

Install.
  • What Roger described seems right, but when you're running FDISK BE CAREFUL! You MUST know exactly which partition has XP, and you MUST move everything on it that you want to save off it to a CD, floppy, other partition or disk, or other machine over a network. Anything you leave on the partition will be destroyed.

Sorry for the caps, but we hate to see someone (Especially someone we're helping) lose data they wanted to keep.

-Q
  • Yeah... be careful, or else it would be a big burn, if you lose data.
  • Yeah Roger Ngo's got most of it. Start with enable large disk support - Type y
    And a few click exc to return to fdisk and you have to reboot to format C:
    I misunderstood I think and he may have a restore disk.
    I don't think he's coming back anyway.
    Thump

[Post fixed by Q]
  • Ehh... he will come back. He just won't probably reply. But he'll read this.
  • At least we hope so
  • Hmmm... I dont think he will come back.