Laptops, Port Replicators, CRT's.

edited April 2017 in Hardware
So, even though I got the serial mouse working with the T2100 I still think I want to get the port replicator for it, because it apparently adds sound and adds a ps/2 mouse port as well.

Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-PA2708U ... 2024223618

I would like to put my monitor on top of it, just like you did with the horizontal cases, however, considering half of it would be resting on top of the laptop itself, could that be a bad idea, could it damage the laptop due to the sheer weight of an old CRT?

Comments

• Sitting a CRT on a laptop would not be recommended. They weigh a ton and even though it may not break the laptop display, leaving something that heavy on it for an extended period of time won't do it any good.

Congrats on getting the serial mouse up and running!
  • I just built my own monistor stand, built it so that the monitor can sit on top, I can put the laptop underneath, and have access from all four sides.

I achieved this by making it 7cm tall, and making having the legs in the corners being only 5cm wide.

I used wood glue and screws, once the wood glue drys I'm going to spray paint it, to make it look appealing or at least not ugly, right now it's mismatched wood.
  • As long as it works, it could look like a monstrosity and it'd be alright. Undertaking a project like that, even as small as it is, shows that you have gumption. I like that. Could you post a picture or two of the stand?
  • BigCJ wrote:
    As long as it works, it could look like a monstrosity and it'd be alright. Undertaking a project like that, even as small as it is, shows that you have gumption. I like that. Could you post a picture or two of the stand?

I just put the final coat of paint on, tomorrow, I will post it.
  • The stand is just wood, which I cut, glued, and screwed together, then spray-painted to make it looks nice.

17796488_10209192751760049_4024090883159695510_n.jpg?oh=d773c97914c1d162bcdfc3f471b49a0f&oe=5950D807
  • Nice, what is it like using an old laptop like a desktop?
  • Nothing really different, other than you knowng it's not a true desktop.
  • Whoa...cool...i wish i had an old laptop...
  • Whoa...cool...i wish i had an old laptop...

They aren't worth it in my opinion. They lack working batteries and the AC adapters are always fucked in some shape or form.