First Operating System You've Used?

edited June 2017 in Software
I notice there's a variety of age ranges here, and I seem to be on the younger side, so this may be an interesting question to ask.

I remember first using Windows 98, when I was a child, my first memory is from 1999 (my mother verified when it happened) and my dad said he stuck with '98 until XP came out. so it was around the turn of the century.

If you don't see your OS in the polls, just reply and tell us what it was.

Comments

• Like yourself, the first OS I ever used was Win98, though it was Second Edition and this dating back from September 2000 when I was introduced to a PC for the first time and, was already a wizkid on it. It was the old IBM Aptiva it ran on which was good then but as the years passed, it was a problematic wreck.

However, I actually used Mac OS 7 first during my later years in primary school. Oh, those iMac G3s... I miss them.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    However, I actually used Mac OS 7 first during my later years in primary school. Oh, those iMac G3s... I miss them.

That would have been MacOS 9 on those iMacs. I used them towards the end of high school in certain classes.
    It was actually called System 7 - didn't change to the MacOS name until 7.5. That was mostly on Motorola-based 68k Macs (LC, Performa, Quadra, etc) - I think PowerPC support was added in 7.1 if I recall correctly.

For me, I started with MS-DOS 5.0. I was introduced to Macs in primary school, those were Mac LCs running System 7.0 back at the start of 1992. Those would have 4 MB RAM, 80 MB HDD, and connected via AppleTalk. There was no internet access so it was ClarisWorks 2.0, Kid Pix, and utilising one of those 6 or 10 CD stackers connected via SCSI to share multimedia titles. Before that it was a small handful of Commodores.
  • I remember Win98SE. I played on it when I was about 5, trying to beat my cousins at pinball. It was fun, except we had a massive HP tower and terrible power. The tower itself is a dustmine and power would cut out every hour or so. Still fun :)

Soon-to-be-blog?
    https://oxylibrium.wordpress.com
  • I used communal computers at home/school with Windows 98 and earlier but the first computer I could call my own was my HP Pavillion ZV5000 laptop. It's a Windows XP system and it was bought new in 2004 for just shy of £900 and the only thing I knew about the specs was the price tag. I went for an HP system because they were a sponsor of my favourite football team. I didn't know much about computers at the time and we all have to start somewhere.

I did have an old hand-me-down computer with Windows 98 that was mainly used for word processing while I was a student but I don't really count that as my first computer because it was little more than an appliance to me and the HP Pavillion was much more of a personal investment. I still have that system and although its internet-useful days have come to an end it's still useful for films, music and video games.
  • I think my first OS i used was mac OS 9. I'm not sure windows 98 would have been my first OS if I had a computer before I started school, but i'm sure i didn't have a computer until after a started kindergarten. So and i would have used mac OS 9 in school , which was imac g3 computers, than they also had emac which they got when i was in 2nd grade , which where mac OS 10.3 , which where upgraded later to Mac OS 10.4.
  • I notice there's a variety of age ranges here, and I seem to be on the younger side, so this may be an interesting question to ask.

You got to roll the clock back another decade or two for some of us really old geezers.

IBM PC class machines were late comers to the computing scene.
  • DOS/VS , or if only microcomputers count, then Apple DOS 3.3 .
  • That would have been MacOS 9 on those iMacs. I used them towards the end of high school in certain classes.
    It was actually called System 7 - didn't change to the MacOS name until 7.5. That was mostly on Motorola-based 68k Macs (LC, Performa, Quadra, etc) - I think PowerPC support was added in 7.1 if I recall correctly.
    Oh damn. My memory must be bad then. Forgive me for this :?
  • I remember my daycare centre that I was at in 2000 and 2001 had some Windows 9x OS on their computer, I don't know wheter 98 or 95, but it did have the clouds with the Windows logo on log on.
  • The first OS I had direct interaction at home was RT-11. Used computers before that but logging into a PDP-10 through a teletype did not allow me to find out which OS was running.

I feel old.
  • menage wrote:
    The first OS I had direct interaction at home was RT-11. Used computers before that but logging into a PDP-10 through a teletype did not allow me to find out which OS was running.

I feel old.

Holy cow, how is the seniors home? :P :P :P
  • Windows 98FE. 9x is generally a good era of Windows to start off with, and 98 was the best by far. Most everyone I know "cut their teeth" so to speak on 98.
  • My first OS was Prolog (not the language, the OS).
    There many other OS than MS-DOS/Windows/MacOS/MacOSX.
  • I'm not sure if I ever used our old commodore 64... if I did, I certainly don't remember it. The first computer I used was probably in elementary school. We used to have IBM Model 25's running some version of DOS. I remember we had a custom menu system we interacted with. Later on they were upgraded to Compaq deskpro's running 95.

At home, it was maybe a year or two later when we got the 486 (which I was using whenever I first joined this forum) which was running DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1.

The first computer I ever owned was a 286 with DOS 4.01 and that was when I got into computers.
  • david70 wrote:
    My first OS was Prolog (not the language, the OS).
    There many other OS than MS-DOS/Windows/MacOS/MacOSX.

True, but I don't know of them besides OS/2, PC-DOS, A CP/M. So I said if it's not found, just comment it,
  • at my own house, windows me, on it i always played with the 3D maze screensaver. Then we upgraded to windows XP. At my grandmothers house, windows 98, then upgraded to Vista.
  • It was a conglomerate combination of Windows 98 and Windows ME that was my first system because my uncle was bad at technology.

It was about four or five years later I became a software enthusiast--if that's even the proper term.
  • At my grandmothers house, windows 98, then upgraded to Vista.
    That computer was upgraded to Vista? How is that possible? :shock: Please, do tell me if you can.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    At my grandmothers house, windows 98, then upgraded to Vista.
    That computer was upgraded to Vista? How is that possible? :shock: Please, do tell me if you can.

Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 98 in 2006 and Vista was released in 2007 so it's possible that his gran waited until her old 98 tin gave up the ghost and then replaced it with a brand new Vista machine. There was no mention of both OSs running on the same hardware.
  • I believe I've replied to a similar thread a couple years ago, But I'll give a more detailed view on this story.

The first OS I've ever used on a computer that was mine was Windows Millennium Edition on a Toshiba Satellite laptop back in 2003, The first OS I've used on another family member's computer was Windows XP Home Edition RTM on a beige Compaq Presario desktop, I remember taking apart floppy disks (I was only 3 years old back then), and I vaguely remember playing some games on there.
  • I chose MS Dos, as it was the first system I really truly used and learned well. I started using it probably when I was 5 or 6. I suppose nostalgia is why command line has always given me a warm, happy feeling as an adult.

However, before that, we had one of the Apple II with the big 5 inch floppies. I remember spending hours playing on that, though I've never been fond of Apple products since then.
  • I'm on the young side here. The first computer I remember using in our house had was a Compaq with Windows 98 on it, and I used it for years until my uncle built a computer for me that ran the shiny new Windows XP Pro. I was very young when I first toyed with computers, about 4 or 5. I used to love to play Slingo on AOL with my grandfather (and I still play Slingo to this day).
  • nick99nack wrote:
    I'm on the young side here. The first computer I remember using in our house had was a Compaq with Windows 98 on it, and I used it for years until my uncle built a computer for me that ran the shiny new Windows XP Pro. I was very young when I first toyed with computers, about 4 or 5. I used to love to play Slingo on AOL with my grandfather (and I still play Slingo to this day).

I think we were all pretty young when we statrted with computers. I was 4-5. It was a 486, DOS 6 and 3.1
  • The first OS I used was Windows 95.
  • I don't recall the early electronic devices I had (pocket calculators, Atari 2600) having any operating systems as such.

The TI-99/4a didn't really have an OS either, unless you counted the UCSD P-System, which on that machine was so slow it was worse than useless.

Probably the first machine I really had a chance to use that had a separate OS was an Apple II series running Applesoft DOS 3.2 and/or 3.3.

[Thunk][body parts fall off]
  • My first OS, is a tie with Windows 95 and Windows ME. Since I used them in and around the same time period for what ever reason.
  • in 2005(?) I started playing on my dads 10-year-old 95 system.
  • Head hurts. The first micro I had was a Tandy CoCo. It ran (searches memory) I think "Color Dos". In 4K of memory. Then along comes Microware's OS9 for that little CoCo, and things really took off.

It was awesome. We had a multi-user, multi-tasking OS back in the 70's for crying out loud!
  • The first system I used was either XP or 98, but I think it was XP. I remember playing on that computer with a friend who lived in our neighborhood when I was about 5.

My first personal computer was a Gateway FX which ran Vista :shock:. However, Vista was good for me, never had any problems. Of course little me wasn't doing much other than playing some games and using Windows Media Player and Movie Maker.

(It's like this but blue instead of orange [I still have it but the mobo is fried]).
    Gateway-FX8000.jpg
  • Win98 or NT4. Can't remember which.