Preferred browser

edited June 2017 in Software
I am curious to which browsers everyone prefers and why.

Comments

• Pale Moon because it is a spec-compliant browser that focuses on security and privacy. Also, it's a fork of Firefox and it doesn't use that Australis bullshit.
  • Firefox all the way, since 2006 :)

I had considered switching away from it a few times in the past (to Opera and Chrome) but, I've become too attached to it.
  • I'm using Chrome and I have been since it came out. (Actually, now that I think about it, I used to use SRWare Iron for a while, which was a fork of Chromium. Then I used to use Chromium until eventually I just used the normal Google Chrome).

I used to use Firefox, but when Chrome was released, I decided to give it a try and I wound up sticking with it because it was faster and more responsive.

I always thought I'd wind up going back to Firefox because Chrome was too simple and I would need a more powerful, more mature browser like Firefox... but it never happened. Turns out I don't need that much power in a web browser.

Then Firefox decided it wanted to try and be like Chrome, but did it poorly and I wound up switching to Pale Moon. I still keep Pale Moon around for online banking.

I also use Pale Moon with No Script and Ublock installed in a VM for sketchy stuff.
  • Firefox by a mile. I personally can't stand Chrome. Every time I use it, I either get some weird "Oh, snap!" error, features don't work, or pages display incorrectly. Firefox isn't perfect, but it's not the mess that Chrome is.
  • Firefox for me since the days of Version 2 or 3. I'm comfortable using it and like its roots, and I prefer the download manager compared to Chrome. I think the main annoyance is the frequent updates where the odd version occasionally seems to lose stability. The occasional script tends to crash Firefox and I return to one of those "Oops that was embarrassing" tabs. I also use its sister program Thunderbird for e-mail.

I'd give Pale Moon a go as an alternative otherwise, but I'd be still using Firefox on my MacBook anyway since there's no OS X version.
  • Firefox for me since the days of Version 2 or 3. I'm comfortable using it and like its roots, and I prefer the download manager compared to Chrome. I think the main annoyance is the frequent updates where the odd version occasionally seems to lose stability. The occasional script tends to crash Firefox and I return to one of those "Oops that was embarrassing" tabs. I also use its sister program Thunderbird for e-mail.

I'd give Pale Moon a go as an alternative otherwise, but I'd be still using Firefox on my MacBook anyway since there's no OS X version.

There is in the works a OS X version of Pale Moon, but I believe it's at unofficial status though. You could find it on the Pale Moon forums.
  • Pale Moon developers have a lot of work backporting everything to their decrepit branch of Mozilla, and their amateurish attitude. I hope you like not getting e10s...

SomeGuy will roast me alive for this, but IE11 is a great browser. It's fast, lightweight UI chrome, has built-in adblock... Shame Edge dropped the ball so hard.
  • I too jumped on the Pale Moon bandwagon a few years ago, Firefox was exhibiting nonstop memory leaks slowing to a crawl before crashing. My ancient addons were most likely to blame but PM handled things smoother. Plus I didn't want to use a Chrome knockoff.

Some websites and addons tend to break in PM every now and then but eventually get fixed.
  • Firefox and Chrome for GUI. Lynx for terminal use.
  • nick99nack wrote:
    Firefox by a mile. I personally can't stand Chrome. Every time I use it, I either get some weird "Oh, snap!" error, features don't work, or pages display incorrectly. Firefox isn't perfect, but it's not the mess that Chrome is.

I agree here. I was always on Firefox, then switched to Chrome for years, but gave up after having to get on Firefox when Chrome wouldn't cooperate.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Pale Moon developers have a lot of work backporting everything to their decrepit branch of Mozilla, and their amateurish attitude. I hope you like not getting e10s...

Actually, I find the lack of e10s to be a good thing.
  • There's always some sweat during a refactor. If you enjoy the one-tab-crashes-all, lack of sandboxing, lowered parallelism, and less pliable memory management, have fun with that...
  • ampharos wrote:
    There's always some sweat during a refactor. If you enjoy the one-tab-crashes-all, lack of sandboxing, lowered parallelism, and less pliable memory management, have fun with that...

but are those things needed in the first place. Pale Moon is a very stable browser and it doesn't use that much memory in the first place. Firefox on the other hand is unstable and e10s just serves to minimize the effects of crashes, rather than fix the cause of them.
  • What are you people doing that you have all of these stability issues with these browsers? I can't remember the last time I saw a browser crash on my system.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    I'm using Chrome and I have been since it came out. (Actually, now that I think about it, I used to use SRWare Iron for a while, which was a fork of Chromium. Then I used to use Chromium until eventually I just used the normal Google Chrome).

I used to use Firefox, but when Chrome was released, I decided to give it a try and I wound up sticking with it because it was faster and more responsive.

I always thought I'd wind up going back to Firefox because Chrome was too simple and I would need a more powerful, more mature browser like Firefox... but it never happened. Turns out I don't need that much power in a web browser.

Then Firefox decided it wanted to try and be like Chrome, but did it poorly and I wound up switching to Pale Moon. I still keep Pale Moon around for online banking.

I also use Pale Moon with No Script and Ublock installed in a VM for sketchy stuff.

Almost word for word what I would say, so ditto.

Except that somewhere of late, Chrome decided to be a net nanny and flag damn near everything I download as "dangerous, possible malware", etc, etc and its really pissing me off.
  • Primarily, I'm a hold-out sticking by with Firefox 28. However I often hop between that, Opera, and IE11 at times.

Haven't tried Pale Moon yet, though I likely will as 28 becomes more and more unsupported.
  • Firefox because it is not a strain on battery life as it only uses a single core - not multiple cores like Chrome which is great nonetheless but I have a Lenovo Flex 2-14 which is TERRIBLE at holding a charge. It think it is because of battery wear. Firefox also has a similar interface to Chrome, which is good. As for IE and Edge, I always steer clear of Microsoft browsers as they are just terrible.
  • Edge actually isn't too bad. It's nothing like IE. It has more in common with Chrome than it does with IE.
  • Edge is horrifically buggy in my experience. Crashes like crazy. Definitely a regression over IE11. Sad!
  • I used Firefox for as long as I can remember. When chrome came out I switched to it for a while because I like the look of one of the themes. Yes at the time I preferred Chrome because of a theme (I believe abstract blue was the theme name by the way) and not the browser itself. Anyway, I eventually thought "This is stupid. I am sticking with this browser because of a theme that is getting old when Firefox is clearly the better browser. So, I switched back. Another thing that bugs me, and it's not that big of a deal but it still irks me is that Chrome is always using those weird messages like 404. That's an error. Seriously. No duh. Or another on is He's dead, Jim. Why not just say, This page terminated unexpectedly. Sorry for the inconvenience. Now that's not to say that Firefox doesn't have these messages because it does for example when it crashes and you restart it, it says, Well this is embarrassing, or something like that. Even websites like Hulu have this like when a video fails to work it says, Do'h that video won't load, or something along those lines. It just especially irks me with Chrome. It's like it is trying to be clever but failing miserably. Anyway sorry for another ramble.

Over and out,
    IE is Evil!!!
  • Firefox. It has been around for years.(codebase predates some stuff in our library!)Plus, its open source so we know what is in it. Chrome is meh, and I hate IE.(I refuse to use every version after NT4 for everyday use, though I sometimes use 2000 for program support.)
  • I used to use Opera for many, many years (at least 2002 or so), but when they abandoned Presto I stopped using the newer versions as at the time they were fucking awful, despite hanging on to the last version for some time until it became nearly unusable for most websites I then moved onto Chrome.

I've been on Chrome since, and haven't felt the need to use anything else as Chrome just works, and the sync between my devices works well also.

I still miss the near infinite configuration abilities of oldschool Opera though, the sheer amount of stuff you could tweak was amazing.
  • I used Firefox for nearly a decade now, I think the version I've first used was 2.0.0.7 since I made the switch from IE to Firefox on mid 2007, I'm now on version 53.0.3 as of this writing, It's crazy how far version numbers have gone today, I've used Internet Explorer and Edge as backup browsers on rare occasions.

I'm also fond of FF's (partially dead) support for legacy systems because there's no longer an excuse to stick with IE6 even on older systems, I have TenFourFox on my two last-gen G4 Macintoshes (an eMac and a Mac Mini; Both clocked at 1.42 GHz), SeaMonkey on weaker systems (like my '06 Toshiba Laptop, and on my Athlon 64 Gaming Rig), and legacy versions of Firefox on some Windows VMs, It's sort of amusing to be able to access basic HTTPS sites on Windows 95 by using this fork of FF 2.0.0.22.
  • I used Firefox for nearly a decade now, I think the version I've first used was 2.0.0.7 since I made the switch from IE to Firefox on mid 2007, I'm now on version 53.0.3 as of this writing, It's crazy how far version numbers have gone today

I really hated when Firefox decided to adopt the rapid release version scheme that Chrome used. I guess it doesn't really bother me much anymore though. I remember when it was a big deal for them to finally get to v1.0. I guess it was only about a year or so, but it seemed much longer. I started using Firefox around 0.8 and back then, the competition was mostly IE 6, so it wasn't hard to be vastly superior. Before I used Firefox, I was using the Mozilla suite, which I really liked for a time, but Firefox had faster load times.
  • I used to use Firefox, and then once I heard about Chrome, I decided to give it a chance. I also use it because it's the only one that works with my custom windows 10 theme (I use Arc if you're interested)