Help with Dell Dimension XPS M200s

edited June 2017 in Hardware
Hello!

I have a question about my Dell Dimension XPS M200s series computer. It was my parents computer ('96-'98 ish) I have recently been trying to get it to work, but with no avail. Whenever I plug in the computer and press the power button, nothing happens, not even any sounds. Keep in mind this computer was in my basement the last 10 or so years. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

PackardBell i386

Comments

• Assuming no lights came on either, you have a dead power supply.
  • Hello!

I have a question about my Dell Dimension XPS M200s series computer. It was my parents computer ('96-'98 ish) I have recently been trying to get it to work, but with no avail. Whenever I plug in the computer and press the power button, nothing happens, not even any sounds. Keep in mind this computer was in my basement the last 10 or so years. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

PackardBell i386
    Did you check that every thing is plugged in the right way inside the computer? Has the computer worked before it was moved to the basement? Usally Dell is very good about documentation. If you could look up documentation about your Dell machine.

Also P.S don't Pm the entire VIP group ;)
  • Make sure everything is connected tightly and that the power supply is functional.
  • Yeah, sorry :). My first time posting to Winboards. I checked the inside and everything is plugged in except for the 3 1/2" floppy disk drive.
  • I also neglected to mention that in 1999 or 2000 I spilled a glass of water on it and smoke started coming out of the back. Anyway, today when I look inside of it, there appears to be absolutely no water damage except where someone left a glass of water on top of it. Is there any possibility that it is just the PSU that is busted?
  • Also, the dell website has no documentation on this computer, which is surprising.
  • In the future, do not make rapid multiple posts.
  • If it was broken when you last touched it then it's broken now. Whatever got owned by the water is probably still not functioning, and setting it in a corner untouched for almost two decades isn't particularly good either. Smoke furling out of a computer is never a good sign, almost always fatal for said component.
  • I agree with BigCJ - the fact that IT BROKE WHEN YOU WERE LAST USING IT is a pretty good indicator that MAYBE IT'S UHHHH BROKEN.

If you're lucky the power supply didn't fry the motherboard, try swapping the power supply out and if you're really lucky, it'll work - but don't hold out hope.
  • I also neglected to mention that in 1999 or 2000 I spilled a glass of water on it and smoke started coming out of the back. Anyway, today when I look inside of it, there appears to be absolutely no water damage except where someone left a glass of water on top of it. Is there any possibility that it is just the PSU that is busted?

well...
    That would do it in.
    Check with a spare power supply, or something along those lines, and if it dont work then, try the CPU, the get a new(err..."New to you")computer.
    BUT it IS the power supply or the MB as my emachines W3410 has a OK MB but a dead CPU and yet a good PSU and when i short certain pins/wire to the MB and prees the power button the fans turn.
    So it probably the PSU.