Compaq FS740

edited June 2017 in Hardware
I have a working COMPAQ FS740 monitor, with the JBL speakers which are working, however, I cannot find the manufacture year.

Does anyone know what year these are from?

I need to know so if it's too new, I can replace it with my other Monitor. Thanks.

and yes, I did try google, getting lots of info, just not manufacture date or anything relating to age.

Comments

• Upon doing a Google Image Search, I've found a picture of the back that shows a manufacturing date of February 2002, there are even a few forum posts dating back to May 2002 so I would guess this monitor was available between Late-2001 and Mid-2002.
    I need to know so if it's too new, I can replace it with my other Monitor. Thanks.

Since you have a beige model, It should go fine with that Deskpro you bought earlier even if you find it out of date, After all the only CRT I use on most of my computers is a Sony CPD-E240 from 2003, and it goes fantastic with the P1-rig I built recently, although from what I heard in the past shadow-mask CRTs seem to be better than Trinitron type (flat-front) CRTs when it comes to DOS-era gaming, so feel free to use whatever monitor you're more comfortable with.
  • I may end up using my old monitor, as I cannot find a way to control the volume of the JBL speakers.
  • I may end up using my old monitor, as I cannot find a way to control the volume of the JBL speakers.

The volume of the JBL speakers that Compaq used that attached to the monitor was controlled by the Volume Control of the OS.
  • guykramer wrote:
    I may end up using my old monitor, as I cannot find a way to control the volume of the JBL speakers.

The volume of the JBL speakers that Compaq used that attached to the monitor was controlled by the Volume Control of the OS.

and as such, not speakers I want to use on a regular basis.
  • It doesn't really matter whether or not the monitor is from the same era as the PC, if it's beige then it fits the theme of the computer. There's no reason to go out and buy another CRT monitor when you have a working one.

CRTs suck though - they use a lot of power and if they get broken they have some deadly chemicals in them. What I'd recommend would be getting one of the early LCD monitors at a thrift store or something. I know LCD monitors are like literally satan to the vintage computing world, but they're so much better than CRT monitors, especially for power consumption. There are beige cased LCD monitors out there.

Plus, I've always been conservative on sound volumes so my hearing has never really been "broken in" so I can still hear the high pitch noises from CRT monitors and TVs.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    and if they get broken they have some deadly chemicals in them..
    Spoken like a true consumeroid that believes all of the LCD salesdroid FUD. As if the modern toxic sludge that passes for electronic products these days has nothing dangerous in it.

LCDs suck balls in so many ways. If a program does not run at the LCD's native resolution it looks blurred and distorted. Very few are 4:3 so they will incorrectly stretch images (a circle will not look like a circle), this is even worse on the modern short-screen monitors. And that is assuming the resolution will display at all. The black levels on LCDs are horrid. For example you don't get the same effect playing doom in a dark room when you are staring at a glowing gray rectangle. On a properly configured CRT, black means absolutely no light whatsoever. LCDs also have added lag because of the analog to digital conversion - the electron beam of a CRT literally displays at the speed of light, you can't get any faster than that.
  • LCDs have toxic stuff in them, sure, but they're less dangerous than CRTs - and use less power.

"consumeroid" <- I hate that phrase. Not only would I not fit your definition for that (I buy almost everything used and fix stuff when it fails) but it's just a dumb phrase that reeks of conspiracy theories.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    LCDs have toxic stuff in them, sure, but they're less dangerous than CRTs - and use less power.
    So how many people have died or gotten sick from using CRTs? Right, none. Sure, it bad news in a landfill, but so are modern electronics. Less power? Sure, fine, but when many people (perhaps not you) have over 9000 Watt power supplies feeding a pile of liquid cooled CPUs and multiple GPUs with built-in nuclear power plants, then that seems like a minor issue.

To me, the bigger advantages of LCDs are simply saved desk space and less weight. 21" CRTs are not exactly portable.
    66659hi wrote:
    it's just a dumb phrase that reeks of conspiracy theories.
    But the the new Smart Thermostat is watching me :geek:
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    The black levels on LCDs are horrid. For example you don't get the same effect playing doom in a dark room when you are staring at a glowing gray rectangle. On a properly configured CRT, black means absolutely no light whatsoever.

OLED solves that problem.

And depending on the panel type and configuration, an LCD monitor can have very little or no noticeable backlight bleed.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    But the the new Smart Thermostat is watching me :geek:

"Whoah - "SomeGuy" likes his thermostat at 67 Farenheight? Oh my god send a news crew and the FBI - this madman must be stopped"