The Acer Acros is in!

edited July 2017 in Hardware
It came in Today, a day early.

I just got it home now, and when I started it up, it did turn on but nothing wants to show up on screen, and I tried to monitors.

I know the RTC battery needs to be replaced, but I think something still, should show up on screen right?

I will put in my ATI Mach 64 card, and see what happens.

If not, then I guess that chip is more important than I thought?

EDIT: I tried it with the video card in, still nothing on scree. Probably because of the dead RTC chip, at least I hope it is!

Comments

• While the battery is essential to normal boot-up, it should not prevent the POST screen from displaying itself. No output to the screen whatsoever is a very bad sign.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    While the battery is essential to normal boot-up, it should not prevent the POST screen from displaying itself. No output to the screen whatsoever is a very bad sign.

I'll see what's up, but I guess it's a good thing that my Deskpro is still set-up on my desk. lol.

EDIT: Nope, still nothing.

The next Win 3.x era machine I buy, I will have to see working in person.
  • Check CPU, and all memory modules, make sure they are nice and tight and secure (could of came loose during shipping)

Best way to do it is to remove both completly, and put them all back in, if nothing, than remove all memory and replace one at a time.
  • I doubt it's the RAM as this motherboard uses a weird system to keep the ram in place, where it is next to impossible to remove RAM.

Also, if it is a processor problem, I also doubt it since it is still underneath the heat sink and the fan.

I did contact the seller, as they offer a Warranty on this time, and they cover return shipping.
  • You can't always be so sure. Just because it looks okay doesn't mean it is. There may be an impaired connection someplace. If it's moved around a bunch (like in the mail) or if the system is started and shut down rapidly (a phenomenon called thermal creep) some components may need reseating.
  • Yeah, I guess I'll do a complete reseating of both the RAM and the CPU tomorrow.