My Computer Hard Drive

edited July 2017 in Hardware
Ok, yesterday I was doing my work on my computer then I heard a noise from computer then computer crashed and then restarts.
When it was restarted the computer didn't detect the hard drive.
Also it has my important things.So How I can recover the hard drive?

Comments

• Could've died, tbh.

As for recovering the information, you may need special tools, not at the disposable of the average man.

There are some things I'd see a technician for. Recovering from a dead hard disk is one of them.
  • edited July 2017
    *Sounds* like a head crash most likely.

If you want data off that, it'll cost you a lot if recoverable.
    Also, refrain from powering that drive on anymore.

EDIT: To fix broke link
  • Backup. Backup. Backup.

It's a hard lesson to learn. I had to deal with it myself early on... actually it's part of the reason I found this site in the first place. But if you have only one copy of any of your files on only one drive, you're just asking for trouble.
  • See a computer PRO.There is NO WAY THE AVERAGE PERSON (who is not a computer tech) CAN DO THIS. And even they may not be able to help you. the COMBINED power of the NSA,CANADA,FBI,CIA, and KGB mayn't be able to help you.
  • edited July 2017
    the COMBINED power of the NSA,CANADA[/b],FBI,CIA, and KGB mayn't be able to help you.

Canada lumped in with all of those groups? Okay?

But as far as the hard drive issue that you have @OP it sounds like your hard drive has died. I don't really know what to tell you, you've likely lost all of your data unless you feel like shelling out several hundred dollars for an advanced data recovery procedure that may not even work. Best of luck to you, but remember to make backups in the future.
  • Ah hell doublepost, meant to edit and accidentally quoted. No delete option?
  • Spare hard disks are essential. Once you've recovered from this catastrophe, copy your system disk to a spare hard drive every 2 weeks or once per month. Unfortunately, the best way to fix this is to get a new hard drive and start all over again.

@66659hi: For some reason, you can only delete posts in the Site Issues forum.

@HorseBatteryStaple: Canada is not an intelligence agency, and the KGB was dissolved in 1991.
  • 66659hi wrote:
    the COMBINED power of the NSA,CANADA[/b],FBI,CIA, and KGB mayn't be able to help you.

Canada lumped in with all of those groups? Okay?

But as far as the hard drive issue that you have @OP it sounds like your hard drive has died. I don't really know what to tell you, you've likely lost all of your data unless you feel like shelling out several hundred dollars for an advanced data recovery procedure that may not even work. Best of luck to you, but remember to make backups in the future.
    Yes.
    Do not under estimate Canada.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Spare hard disks are essential. Once you've recovered from this catastrophe, copy your system disk to a spare hard drive every 2 weeks or once per month. Unfortunately, the best way to fix this is to get a new hard drive and start all over again.

@HorseBatteryStaple: Canada is not an intelligence agency, and the KGB was dissolved in 1991.

I thought the KGB didn't exist anymore but I wasn't 100% sure and didn't feel like looking that up so I didn't note that.

But yes, you need to back up if you have important files. I don't back up everything but I do back up important stuff and stuff that would take more time than I'd like to spend to restore.

@OP Since you have to replace the hard disk anyway, I'd say get a solid state drive. Not only are they faster, they're worlds more reliable than standard mechanical drives.
  • And if you cannot afford a solid state, at least get one of those hybrid drives. They are faster than the spinning platter hard drives.

But nothing can ever beat good backups. Speaking of which, I haven't backed up my Mac in months lol :P At least my Mac is configured to back up its Desktop and Documents folders to iCloud Drive...

Maybe you could try a GParted Live CD to see what's going on with the drive? (Although it was recommended earlier that you do NOT power up the drive again.)
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Maybe you could try a GParted Live CD to see what's going on with the drive? (Although it was recommended earlier that you do NOT power up the drive again.)
    Couldn't hurt to try. The OP's drive is dead anyway, this may be the last shot at saving any files. However, the OP has stated the drive isn't even detected and that may be a sign of unrecoverable data loss.
  • Thank You!
    Now I recovered my hard drive now!
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Spare hard disks are essential. Once you've recovered from this catastrophe, copy your system disk to a spare hard drive every 2 weeks or once per month. Unfortunately, the best way to fix this is to get a new hard drive and start all over again.

@66659hi: For some reason, you can only delete posts in the Site Issues forum.

Frankly, it was (the mention of canada) an accident, and i decided i should make it humorous, as people on this forum are WAY too serious.
  • Thank You!
    Now I recovered my hard drive now!

How did you recover it?