Pros and Cons of 386SX-25 Upgrade from a 286-12?

edited August 2017 in Hardware
My Pack-Mate III works very well now with it's 4mb of RAM, and it's Sound Blaster 16 (can't use it in Windows 3.1 standard mode, but works just fine in DOS, even with software that think's it's an SB PRO).

I know the weakest point in my system is the processor itself.

I am thinking of upgrading to a 386, so I could run Windows 3.1 in 386 enhanced mode which would allow me to install the SB16 drivers and have audio within Windows, plus lots of software seems to require at least a 386, and obviously things would run faster overall.

I think it should be possible as these are both 16-bit processors, and the only limit should be the bus speed.

My BIOS does say 80286 on the boot screen, so I don't know if it would say 80386 if I swapped it with a 386, and also the motherboard is a Packard Bell 286X, so it's probably designed specifically for a 286.

I'm new to working with machines as old as these, so would I be able to upgrade to a 386SX-25 like this - http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1pc-INTEL-NG8...IAAOSwqu9U5wXF ? Or am I stuck with my 286-12?

Comments

• Check your link, winworld truncated and broke it.

I do know there are hacks to cram sx's on 286 machines, heck even 486slc.

Take a look, here's another board with people discussing the possibilities.
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... 86-upgrade

Looking at your link, I see "Intel NG"which implies it is an intel ng 386sx. 90% of the ones available are smd, not plcc or pga.
    So you will need to do some soldering making an adapter to properly fit it in. Unless you find a premade one on ebay then your troubles are mostly solved.

Lastly considering the slowest available is 16mhz, you'd be underclocking putting it in your 12mhz bell.
    Mostly not a problem.
  • Check your link, winworld truncated and broke it.

I do know there are hacks to cram sx's on 286 machines, heck even 486slc.

Take a look, here's another board with people discussing the possibilities.
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... 86-upgrade

Looking at your link, I see "Intel NG"which implies it is an intel ng 386sx. 90% of the ones available are smd, not plcc or pga.
    So you will need to do some soldering making an adapter to properly fit it in. Unless you find a premade one on ebay then your troubles are mostly solved.

Lastly considering the slowest available is 16mhz, you'd be underclocking putting it in your 12mhz bell.
    Mostly not a problem.

Ah so even if I did manage to get a 386 in it, I would still be limited to 12mhz?
  • Unless you modify the board to be clocked at a different speed(overclock). Possibly a crystal swap or an overvolt or both depending on the board. Maybe lucky with jumpers.
    I wouldn't go there, shit may break. Even then you're pushing with that 386.

However, the 386 would in theory consume less power from underclocking and still perform slightly faster than the 286. Due to superior design.

What will not change is ram limit. You'll still be on a 16bit bus and whatever chipset is on that board.
  • okay, so I am just keeping it original.