32bit Color in Windows 2k on VirtualBox - No Guest Additions

edited September 2017 in Software
If you have ever wanted to get more than 16 colors in Windows 2000 on Virtual Box this is the post for you. Now as most of you know there are plenty of drivers to get 256 colors in Windows ME, Windows 95, and Windows 98. But for some reason it is hard to find one for Windows 2000. Well that problem I have solved for you today, not only will you get 256 colors, you will get 32bit color and a higher screen resolution in Windows 2000 on Virtual Box. Lets start.

First we need to download the driver files. Download the ISO from this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3rNYiscWrzlak5mSW5oeG9xd1U/view?usp=sharing. Since I have already compressed the driver into an ISO file we can now load it into the VM.

Start your Windows 2000 Virtual Machine and then click the "Devices" tab, then "Optical Drives". Now click "Chose disk image...". Select wherever you downloaded the ISO.

Now we can install the driver. Get to your Windows 2000 desktop and right click "My Computer". Now click the "Hardware" tab and click "Device Manager".

qEBVIve.png

Now find and double click "Video Controller (VGA Compatible)". Get to the "Driver" tab. Click "Properties" and then click "Update Driver".

sTLucfd.png

A "Upgrade Device Driver" Wizard should open. Click "Next". Leave the default option and click "Next" again. Uncheck everything but the "Specify a location" option. Click "Next". A new window should open.

Z054GEw.png

Click "Browse". Click "My Computer" then the D: drive. There should be three files: VBoxGuest, VBoxMouse, and VBoxVideo. Double click on the "VBoxVideo" file. Then click "OK". Click "Next". A Microsoft digital signature window will come up, ignore this and click "Yes". The Wizard may ask you for "VBoxVideo.sys" so click "Browse" and select the file. You are now done!
    7ruIwH2.png

As you may have noticed the screen resolution has already increased. To enable 32bit color get to you desktop and right click. Then click "Properties" and the "Settings" tab. From the list click "True Color (32 bit)". You can also adjust the screen resolution at this time. Once you are done click "Apply". Oh yeah.

aAa0st9.png

And there you go. If you need help or have a comment make sure to tell me below. Also I have tested this on a real copy of Windows 2000 on a real machine, it does not work so don't bother.

Comments

• Why don't you just use VirtualBox Guest Additions?
    • Why don't you just use VirtualBox Guest Additions?

Because you have to install it as a whole new program and the availability of the driver I can not confirm. So frankly this way is less complex.
    • Additions comes with VirtualBox. It adds a lot more than just better framebuffer stuff - integration into the host, for one.
    • ampharos wrote:
      Additions comes with VirtualBox. It adds a lot more than just better framebuffer stuff - integration into the host, for one.

This post is about how to get better graphics in Windows 2000. Not really anything else. If you want to make a tutorial for Additions and other driver boosts please do.
    • Win98Rocks wrote:
      ampharos wrote:
      Additions comes with VirtualBox. It adds a lot more than just better framebuffer stuff - integration into the host, for one.

This post is about how to get better graphics in Windows 2000. Not really anything else. If you want to make a tutorial for Additions and other driver boosts please do.
      It's a lot simpler to just install guest additions; after all, even a complete idiot could install it. No configuration necessary, not to mention shared folders, automatic screen resizing, mouse integration support, and the list could just go on and on...but the point I'm trying to get across is that this completely unnecessary. I really hate to say this, but I think this thread deserves to be locked.
    • I can think of a few edge cases when someone might want to minimize the amount of software installed. But I thought the video drivers were just in a folder inside the guest extensions. (has been a while since I messed with that) Is that not the case?

But for normal users, yes they should simply install the Virtual Box Guest Extensions instead.

Also, I'll just mention that Virtual Box still does not emulate a specific model of video card. So with Windows 9x and many other OSes one would need to use a vesa driver such as VBEMP or Scitech Display Doctor otherwise they will be stuck with basic IBM VGA.
    • Ok you both have a point and both ways are valid but I don't see why you have to come on this thread and say your way is better. After some thought both seem fine ways to do this. So if we could please stop arguing and let both ways sit.
    • yeah, he's showing how to do it properly, not with additions.
    • Twiggy wrote:
      yeah, he's showing how to do it properly, not with additions.

The proper way is by installing the additions. This is a workaround. There's nothing wrong with presenting a workaround as long as you advertise it as such.
    • Ok then, I revised the title.
    • Win98Rocks wrote:
      Ok then, I revised the title.
      You have yet to explain how this is better than guest additions.
    • Win98Rocks wrote:
      Why don't you just use VirtualBox Guest Additions?

Because you have to install it as a whole new program and the availability of the driver I can not confirm. So frankly this way is less complex.

How is installing guest additions complex? You just run the installer and click next and every time you see a driver security warning just click "yes". I can except you for doing this on a Windows 9x OS or Windows NT 3.x but in Windows NT 4 and later NT OSes the drivers are a button away in the "install guest additions" option when you've finish insatlling your OS.
    • That, and you have to trust this guy's mirror of the driver is legit and available.
    • Your article helped me a lot! Thank you very much.

• Thanks for posting this! Very easy to install!

• The link says I need access.
    • I have not been active on this forum for years, but I’ve gotten a bazillion google drive notifications for share requests. The link must have gotten removed during a drive update. I don’t think I can edit a post this old, so here is a new link for the same Driver.iso file above: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3rNYiscWrzlak5mSW5oeG9xd1U/view?usp=drivesdk&resourcekey=0-J3X1Sgg9VU5IzE5TmZrPKQ

I would recommend using guest addons over this, as discussed above… 3 years ago. But if you can’t get it to work or don’t want to use guest addons this method works fine.
    • Does it have wide-screen resolutions;
    • The specified location does not contain information about your hardware.
    • @joaovictirnilopolis hmmm, perhaps try unpacking files in the iso to a folder - you can use 7zip or WinRAR.
    • Wow! Some pissy comments. The most ornerous one hasn't been active on WW since 2017.

Anywhoo - and even though this solution will only benefit those who don't have guest additions installed - for posterity I've uploaded the ISO to archive.org.

Included a ZIP of drivers too.

https://archive.org/details/32bit-color-in-windows-2k-on-virtual-box-no-guest-additions