Do not post on activity "walls"

Please do not use the activity "walls" for personal messages. The activity "wall" is that big text entry box that appears on a users profile page. These posts are NOT private, and the intended user may not see the message.

The Private Message feature can be reached by clicking the "Message" button instead.

I know that is confusing. The activity "wall" is a completely useless feature of the Vanilla forums software. The more I use this forum software, the more I hate it.

So far the these "walls" only attract spam, harassment, useless crap, and people mistaking it for Personal Messages. Although I did find a setting to hide the "Activity" tab from normal users, there seems to be no setting to disable the "wall" feature.

Comments

• What... people have been trying to communicate to each other through that? I've never heard of that one before but you're right that it can cause a major inconvenience if used that way. Thanks for the heads up.

• @SomeGuy said:
    there seems to be no setting to disable the "wall" feature.

Perhaps a small CSS rule would do the job if there's no way to control it server-side.

• @SomeGuy said:
    Although I did find a setting to hide the "Activity" tab from normal users, there seems to be no setting to disable the "wall" feature.

Is this helpful at all?

• I saw that thread before, but it doesn't make any sense. Disabling the advanced editor does not remove wall posting, it just disables text formatting.

Annoyingly, I don't have access to edit any of the HTML, so such a solution would have to be run by Calvin. (And altering code that will get clobbered at the next update is a Very Bad idea, I don't know why they even suggest that in that thread)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file