No sound from Creative Labs 1.0 and Garbled Sound from SB 2.0 and SB16?

Hi folks, working on a very nice retro-fit computer build, using slightly newer retro-fitted parts. It's a VERY EARLY Gateway 2000 computer; a 386DX-20 that had a corroded motherboard. I replaced it with a very nice shape and fully functioning DX4-100 486 motherboard with a AMI BIOS. I installed DOS 6.22 onto the original MASSIVE 1 GB (Massive both in size for its time and in physical size, it is the side of a full height MFM drive) and went to set up a Sound Blaster using the 1.0 drivers on this site. I got the drivers to install; but am getting absolutely NO AUDIO AT ALL with my SB 1.0 card. It's jumpers are currently the following:

DRQ1: Jumpered
IRQ: 7
I/O Address: 220
JP1: Jumpered

Not getting any audio at all. Making me very upset as i would love to have this functioning in my rebuilt computer.

As a result, i started to use my next oldest SB, a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 16 bit card. I reinstalled DOS cleanly and installed the drivers. I do get weak audio with my tested and working Gateway 2000 speaker system (Boston) but it is garbled and barely distinguishable. The speakers must be up ALL THE WAY MAXED OUT before i hear anything. I tried adjusting the audio knob on the back and no luck.

Finally i tried my earliest Sound Blaster 16 card, a 1993 CT2290 Revision 1. The jumpers are the following:

IDE IRQ: 11
10CHRDY: OPEN
IDE101: OPEN
IDE100: OPEN
IDEDIS: CLOSED
MPUEN: CLOSED
MSEL: CLOSED
IOSO: CLOSED
1OS1: CLOSED
IFSD: CLOSED
APSD: CLOSED
JYEN: CLOSED
PC_SPEAKER: OPEN
RSPK: CLOSED
AUDIO_PWB: JUMPERS 3&4 CLOSED

I have the same issue with this card as i do with the SB 2.0 PRO. Garbled audio and weak signal. What is going on? Anything i am missing?

Comments

• Well, keep in mind that the SB 1.0 has a manual volume knob on the back.

Did it pass the diagnostics tests? (Other than not being able to hear anything.)

And conversely, the Sound Blaster pro 2 has a SOFTWARE mixer. If you do not run the mixer program at startup, the sound will be way to quiet. You would think they would have picked a better default.

• @SomeGuy said:
    Well, keep in mind that the SB 1.0 has a manual volume knob on the back.

Did it pass the diagnostics tests? (Other than not being able to hear anything.)

And conversely, the Sound Blaster pro 2 has a SOFTWARE mixer. If you do not run the mixer program at startup, the sound will be way to quiet. You would think they would have picked a better default.

I did check the knob. My SB 2.0 has one too. I did manage to get my SB16 to somewhat work, only if i have the speakers plugged into the "LINE OUT" port. I get some audio out of the left side with some cracking noise too, almost like a popping noise. I get only popping and static from the right. Its kinda frustrating :(

• "I did manage to get my SB16 to somewhat work, only if i have the speakers plugged into the "LINE OUT" port."
    The LINE OUT is the only place to connect the speakers. Where else have you been connecting them?

Are you using Powered Speakers? The results you are getting is what happens when you connect to unpowered speakers. Since all three cards produced bad results, I would guess the speaker system is at fault.

I'd try using a known good set of powered speakers.

• @altracker9 said:
    "I did manage to get my SB16 to somewhat work, only if i have the speakers plugged into the "LINE OUT" port."
    The LINE OUT is the only place to connect the speakers. Where else have you been connecting them?

Are you using Powered Speakers? The results you are getting is what happens when you connect to unpowered speakers. Since all three cards produced bad results, I would guess the speaker system is at fault.

I'd try using a known good set of powered speakers.

they are powered speakers. I did test them too. I get the same results using my iPod headphones (unamplified) and a set of Altec-Lansing speakers too.

• Does the same thing happen when you try to play OPL (Adlib) music?

• @SomeGuy said:
    Does the same thing happen when you try to play OPL (Adlib) music?

yes. it does. Do you know what the IFSD, APSD, and JYEN jumpers do?

• i am guessing it is a grounding issue. The SB16 gets popping noises when the hd is in use or the MOBO is counting ram. Very strange. Only get audio from the "Line Out" too. Speaker port don't work.

• Ok, if it is making noises using the OPL, then that rules out a motherboard DMA issue. Common problem in the early 486 era, don’t know how some of those motherboards even managed to boot.

I suspect the power supply is suffering from dried up/damaged electrolytic capacitors. Probably on one of the power rails other than +5v. I’d try testing with a different power supply. If that is a standard AT form desktop or tower case you should be able to easily find a replacement power supply somewhere.

• i ordered a full size 386 Motherboard to replace this POS 486. I hope this will fix it.

• Crackling sound from early SB was usually due to missing -5V. Does it sound like in this video? https://youtube.com/watch?v=8QXmxdiNWIs