Laptop battery for ThinkPad T430?

I know someone who needs a new battery for a Lenovo ThinkPad T430. Obviously google returns plenty of results, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where to get one? Since I normally stick to desktops, it has been quite a while since I have shopped for laptop batteries.

Comments

• edited February 2018

Just don't get the cheapest option when shopping on-line.
    I have spent over a years worth of allowance on dud batteries just because I wanted
    to save a few bucks.
    Buy from a well reviewed battery from reputable seller.
    DO NOT GO TO AMAZON, TYPE "----- LAPTOP BATTERY", AND CLICK ON THE FIRST RESULT AND CLICK "BUY".

• Anker used to make great replacement laptop batteries, but it appears they stopped making replacement batteries completely :( If you do find a replacement that works well, I'd be interested to know who makes it. I have a T430 and T520 that both use the same type of battery, and they're a few years old now and don't last quite as long as they used to.

• Be careful when buying generic batteries, Lenovo added a genuine validation check to their machines starting with the x30 and newer families. It can be bypassed by flashing a custom embedded controller:
    https://github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec

I personally haven't tried flashing a custom firmware but don't expect a generic one to work out of the box, the machine will refuse to charge it, it'll still draw power from the battery until its drained.

• Honestly i think your best bet would be to look around on eBay or such for a fairly inexpensive one. I’ve used generic batteries in the past and i find there’s a bigger issue with generic AC adapters rather than cheaper batteries.

• keep in mind

• There are a lot of counterfeit ones on eBay and possibly Amazon.

• T420 batteries should be compatible.

• xx30 is when they introduced a lockout on third party batteries.

• edited March 2018

I haven't tried this and you may already know about it but there are YouTube videos on how to replace the dead cells within the battery. Try searching "rebuild laptop battery" in YouTube.

Hopefully the cells are a common size that's easy to get.

I am unsure about whether heating the cells by soldering them can cause leakage in future.

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:
    I have spent over a years worth of allowance on dud batteries just because I wanted
    to save a few bucks.
    DO NOT GO TO AMAZON, TYPE "----- LAPTOP BATTERY", AND CLICK ON THE FIRST RESULT AND CLICK "BUY".

Isn't that just commonsense? No offence, but seriously.

• @droem said:

@HorseBatteryStaple said:
    to save a few bucks.

Isn't that just commonsense? No offence, but seriously.

No... most of the cheap batteries you find are FAKE.

• I have a broken ( i guess its broken cause its dont life longer than 45 minutes without charching) T61 non-widescreen battererie

• @SomeGuy said:
    I know someone who needs a new battery for a Lenovo ThinkPad T430. Obviously google returns plenty of results, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to where to get one? Since I normally stick to desktops, it has been quite a while since I have shopped for laptop batteries.

Hey,

Go for this one since this is compatable with most of the Lenovo Laptops !

Lenovo ThinkPad T430 T430i T530 T530i Battery

Adrian Gates
    Sr. System Admin - Apps4Rent