Thoughts on Windows 10

124»

Comments

• Let's go for ReactOS! (It's basically a free and supported XP that in the future will have the native ability to run Windows Vista and 7 apps)

• @Bry89 said:

@droem said:

@Bry89 said:
    Too bad... Microsoft won't do it, no matter how many times we'd like to see it happen. It's a madman's dream really.

The reason why Microsoft won't have any more version of Windows is because they are going down a different route. Instead of buying the new version of Windows every time one comes out, you buy Windows 10 once, then, that's it. No need to upgrade, just wait for a new major build to come out. I guest where that are going right is just rename Windows 10 to Windows 10.4, as the latest major build is Redstone 4.

Yes, I knew of that before. But remember this though... mainstream support for it as a whole ends in two years, and extended in 2020. When that happens, what now? I've been thinking about that for a while now and my head hurts every time that very thought comes in.

Wait, what? I'm so confused. Windows 10 does not have a life time period. It just keeps on updating until your hardware becomes incompatible. Think of like Linux or macOS

• According to the Wikipedia page of it...

"Mainstream support until October 13, 2020
    Extended support until October 14, 2025"

• The support will get finished, but MS says to still give support to hardware supported by your OEM, or in other words, if your OEM stops supporting your machine, MS does too

• @Bry89 said:
    According to the Wikipedia page of it...

"Mainstream support until October 13, 2020
    Extended support until October 14, 2025"

"Right now we're releasing Windows 10, and because Windows 10 is the last version of Windows, we're all still working on Windows 10." That was the message from Microsoft employee Jerry Nixon, a developer evangelist speaking at the company's Ignite conference this week. ... The future is "Windows as a service."

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8568473/windows-10-last-version-of-windows

• Yes, I knew about it being reduced to as a "service", but it still baffles me nonetheless.

• I not getting any notification on this tread any more. Huh.

• You know I still prefer Windows 7 over Windows 10, but the only reason I use it is because it supports DirectX 12, Linux Subsystem and gets good support.