Thrift shop find - PS2! I got some problems....

Hey all!

Today, I found a Fat PS2 at my thrift store today! With all it's cables too!

Only problem: I don't get any audio/video output.

It turns on totally fine, and seems to read discs, but I get no video or sound.

The video cable does have a scratch in it; the wires are showing but it looks to be in a condition that it would still work.

Any suggestions that I should try are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Alixnator.

PS: My video cables are composite with the 3 cables. And I don't have any memory cards for it atm.

Comments

• It is most likely the cable, even if it looks fine they are notoriously faulty.

• @HorseBatteryStaple said:
    It is most likely the cable, even if it looks fine they are notoriously faulty.

Ok thanks, I am hoping it's just the cable and not an actual problem with the console.

• Update ok so.. I got new cables at a flea market; the RF switch cables. They don't seem to work..... all I see is like diagonal lines and static with occasional black breaks in the video. Any suggestions are appreciated! PS: yes I did try channel 3/4 with the switch and channels.

• edited April 2018

@Alixnator said:
    Update ok so.. I got new cables at a flea market; the RF switch cables. They don't seem to work..... all I see is like diagonal lines and static with occasional black breaks in the video. Any suggestions are appreciated! PS: yes I did try channel 3/4 with the switch and channels.

RF Modulation is Suuuuuuupppperrrr faulty and the signal will almost always is bad and noisy or doesn't appear at all. (at least to my experience) just get a new component (component is the best choice it allows for HD output on certain games and is the clearest) cables online. i think the PS3 component cables will work too...

• Ok, update time; the Thrift Shop PS2 does not work. I've tried using 3 different cables and still nothing. Though, I did get another PS2 (Model SCPH-300001) and it works perfectly! And as it turns out, the AV cables from the Thrift Shop PS2 work totally fine. I'm starting to think that the Thrift Shop PS2 might have an internal fault of the CPU/GPU or a broken video connecter as that looks a bit mangled up; at some point maybe someone yanked out the video cable too hard. Or the CPU/GPU overheated at some point causing irreparable damage to the system (without getting an entirely different CPU/GPU and soldering it on).

So anyway, I thank everyone who helped me out on the way! :smiley:

• @Alixnator said:
    Ok, update time; the Thrift Shop PS2 does not work. I've tried using 3 different cables and still nothing. Though, I did get another PS2 (Model SCPH-300001) and it works perfectly! And as it turns out, the AV cables from the Thrift Shop PS2 work totally fine. I'm starting to think that the Thrift Shop PS2 might have an internal fault of the CPU/GPU or a broken video connecter as that looks a bit mangled up; at some point maybe someone yanked out the video cable too hard. Or the CPU/GPU overheated at some point causing irreparable damage to the system (without getting an entirely different CPU/GPU and soldering it on).

So anyway, I thank everyone who helped me out on the way! :smiley:

I have a slim PS2, but I don't have any of its cables any more.

• This thread is for Video Games, but you seem to mention PS/2.
    I suggest to mention about PS/2 on Hardware thread.

• Oops,

In this case, PS2 is Play Station 2, Not for IBM PS/2

Sorry for my mistake.

• @ibmpc5150 said:
    Oops,

In this case, PS2 is Play Station 2, Not for IBM PS/2

Sorry for my mistake.

hehe, it's ok