I'm picking up 9 desktops today.

I bought 9 older desktops on GovDeals yesterday and I'm going to pick them up today. One is an HP DC7700 that is supposedly fully functional, the others are various whitebox PCs in unknown condition. Cost me $11 total.

I didn't need 9 of them, but I figured for $11 I could turn the HP into a server, and scavenge parts off the others. Now I just have to figure out how to hide them from my housemate, so she doesn't kill me for bringing home more crap! I think she goes to work at 4, maybe I'll bring them into the house once she leaves...

Here's the listing: https://govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemID=53&acctID=743

So, am I insane??

Comments

• No, you aren't insane, you are a genius!

• Yeah! These computers are very good! Better if has Windows XP.

• I just got done going through all of them. There are 4 Pentium Dual Core machines (3 @ 2.5GHz, 1 @ 3GHz), 2 Pentium 4s and 1 Core 2 Duo (the HP). I've already parted out 2 and upgraded the RAM in the better ones from 2 to 4GB. They're actually decent machines.

Installed Windows 2000 on one and another one has Windows 7 Pro still installed from the school I got it from. Actually using it to type this message now. So much dust in these! I've had my Shop Vac out and I've been taking them outside and blowing them out.

But yeah, I think I did pretty well for $11! They guy even threw in 2 free laptop bags.

• I'd suggest you to also install Windows XP

• edited May 2018

@SistemaRayoXP said:
    I'd suggest you to also install Windows XP

I agree. Windows XP is the fastest Windows.

@nick99nack said:
    I just got done going through all of them. There are 4 Pentium Dual Core machines (3 @ 2.5GHz, 1 @ 3GHz), 2 Pentium 4s and 1 Core 2 Duo (the HP). I've already parted out 2 and upgraded the RAM in the better ones from 2 to 4GB. They're actually decent machines.

Installed Windows 2000 on one and another one has Windows 7 Pro still installed from the school I got it from. Actually using it to type this message now. So much dust in these! I've had my Shop Vac out and I've been taking them outside and blowing them out.

But yeah, I think I did pretty well for $11! They guy even threw in 2 free laptop bags.

You can upgrade Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Also install Windows XP in Windows 7 Computer.

But you need to get Windows XP CD for this.

• Consider software compatibility. So if you have a nice Windows 7 computer (That runs smoth and fast), don't upgrade or downgrade it, it will be ok until 2023, when WIndows 7 will be unsupported by the software companies (I know W7 EOS is in 2020, but external parties will still support it)

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Consider software compatibility. So if you have a nice Windows 7 computer (That runs smoth and fast), don't upgrade or downgrade it, it will be ok until 2023, when WIndows 7 will be unsupported by the software companies (I know W7 EOS is in 2020, but external parties will still support it)

I think Windows 7 is better. All you have to do is use it regularly. A lot of software can run in Windows 7. I do not know that Windows XP can run softwares such as Visual Studio 2017. But the design of Windows XP is very good. ;)

• Offtopic comment:
    It's like to talk about two ol' good friends ;)

• I installed 2000 Advanced Server on the HP and that will become my new file server and domain controller, and I also installed 2000 Pro on two of the custom ones. One will be a replacement for a much older computer I use for hi-res audio recording, and the other will just be a system to play with. I like XP okay, but I already have it running on other things (XP x64 Edition is on both my laptop and part of a dual-boot with Ubuntu on my desktop) and most of my software will run on 2000 anyway. Plus, it's my favorite version. I love the look and feel of 2000. IMO, it was never surpassed and it just got worse from there.

I may turn one of the other ones into a media center PC with Windows XP Media Center Edition, but we'll see. This is fun though!

• Yes! Quite fun! It's fun experimenting in every one, searching for drivers,installing OSes

• New domain controller up and running! That went a lot smoother than I expected. I've never transferred a domain between servers before. Logins, scripts, network drives, DHCP and DNS are all working as they should. Woohoo!

• And I am now typing this from Firefox 52 ESR on Windows 2000 Pro! I'm so glad Blackwingcat made these kernel extensions. Firefox ESR, along with the latest versions of Notepad++ and VLC Media Player all work because of it. After all the work on installing and updating, I'm definitely going to Ghost this machine in case something happens...

• @nick99nack said:
    And I am now typing this from Firefox 52 ESR on Windows 2000 Pro! I'm so glad Blackwingcat made these kernel extensions. Firefox ESR, along with the latest versions of Notepad++ and VLC Media Player all work because of it. After all the work on installing and updating, I'm definitely going to Ghost this machine in case something happens...

Maybe one day I'll try making Windows 2000 my daily virtual driver once I add KernelEx. Make sure to install all updates as well!

I do agree Windows 2000 is better than Windows XP RTM and SP1, just because it's less heavy on low-spec and does everything that is needed.

• Hey,brand new here,but an OFFICIAL OLD PC,C64 NUT!
    Just wanted to add i picked up 23 Towers,P4 2.4gz,256mb,40g HD,Radeon 7000,Zip 250/100,CD Rom,etc for $5.00 each a while back.Not Real Old,but could NOT pass it up.
    Also got FREE from OCAP 9 Towers,Pentium Dual Core 2.5gz,1g ram,DVD Writers,etc.
    Just at right place at right time...
    But currently reviving my Unysis PW2 3256,386,16mb,SCSI HD,5.25/3.5 FD,etc
    Using Teledisk to Archive some of my Tons of old sortware....