First Operating System You've Used?

Comments

• 66659hi wrote:
    Win98 or NT4. Can't remember which.
    If you remember being on your first computer and you had to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log in, then it'd be NT4. If not, it'd obviously be 98. Recalling the splash screen and startup sound can help also but know that NT4 was more like Win95.
  • Bry89 wrote:
    66659hi wrote:
    Win98 or NT4. Can't remember which.
    If you remember being on your first computer and you had to press Ctrl+Alt+Del to log in, then it'd be NT4. If not, it'd obviously be 98. Recalling the splash screen and startup sound can help also but know that NT4 was more like Win95.

I know the differences, I just can't remember that. It wasn't *my* computer, but it was one of, if not the first, I used.
  • The very first OS I used was the GEM on Atari ST
  • Apple DOS 3.3. ;) The first on a computer I myself owned was PC DOS 2.1.
  • RISC OS or IX, apparently.
  • You kids may have grown up with these fancy-ass computers but nothing is as old-school XP as a beige Compaq box with a CRT(and XP, of course) that my (slightly) older sister had. The screen was like 600x800 or 1024x768. Pure 90s eXPerince (see what I did there?) in the 2000s. Sadly I have lost it.If you mean oldest, then this: http://toastytech.com/guis/gsos.html or MS-DOS.Nuff said.
  • My first was WIndows 98(FE or SE unknown) My dad had given me a laptop to play a 3D Lemmings game and just mess around with in general. He's who got me into computers
  • My first Computer was Windows 98 SE and i make easy a crash with them on a Athena PC.
  • I started with 95, and I have great memories. Whilst XP was out, we still opted for 95, as my dad was worried Microsoft office wouldn't work on XP. Then in 2002, my dad finally upgraded. that was also when my dad got me a second hand laptop with 98 on it. Overall, I've spent more time on 98 and XP than any other.
  • Raw metal (8086 code to a computer with 2k rom, then rombasic (8-bit, 24k total), then PC-DOS 3.3

• Both Windows 2K and XP.

• my first os was windows95 osr2.1 from 1997

• My first OS was OS/360 running on an IBM System/360 in Binghamton NY SUNY. But, I was actually working on an IBM Selectric Terminal using AP/l 360.

The next system I used was a General Automation JCL, but I do not remember the actual OS. It may have been a clone of the IBM 1130.

After that I used MIIS (Meditech Interpretive Information Systems) which was a MUMPS like system. It ran on a Data General Eclipse S/130. MIIS was the OS.

Then I moved onto RDOS on a Data General Eclipse s/200. I was programming in Fortran IV.

From there I moved to AOS on a Data General Eclipse s/200 and programmed in Fortran V.

But, to get to the meat of your question. My first personal computer was the TR-80 with Radio Shack Basic. My second personal computer was the same. My third personal computer was a KAYPRO II with CP/m.

• Windows 95, I was like a year and a half old, my dad's ancient Pentium, complete with beige Samsung monitor.

• My first was near 2004 with Windows 2000.

• Windows XP Home Edition. Been using it from 2006-2014. Then I switched to Windows 7.

• Windows XP, and I'll stuck with it until ReactOS becomes stable and a very good clon of XP

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Windows XP, and I'll stuck with it until ReactOS becomes stable and a very good clon of XP

That would be awhile, as ReactOS still has the Windows Classic theme, and is still in alpha, for 10-18 years

• @SistemaRayoXP said:
    Windows XP, and I'll stuck with it until ReactOS becomes stable and a very good clon of XP

It's 2018, and you're still stuck with it? What...?

Well if that's the case, be very careful browsing today's web with it. I'm serious here.

• One should be careful browsing today’s web even with Windows 10. I’m being serious here too.

Windows XP users should also use the NewMoon browser: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/ (now with builds for earlier Pentium/Athlon CPUs) with the Adblock latitude ad blocker.

• My first programming experience was HPL language on an HP 9825A

• On my own computer it was Windows 7 Starter. On school computers it was Windows XP (probably Pro)

• MS DOS 3.30 on am Olivetti with amber screen - sweet memories...

• Windows XP on beige PC and with CRT monitor(probably Samsung SyncMaster but i can't remember) until one year later i got a laptop which also had XP(Pro) the Sony Vaio,meanwhile i switched to 7 back in 2011 and sold the old one,laptop still belongs to me and i use it for older games until i used it for experiments and it got Windows 7 on them(it was giving me a hell with 512MB of RAM,recently i thinked about getting a used copy of XP to get back the laptop to it's original OS but laptop stopped working and while turning on it beep(by beep codes it seems that CPU or CPU cooler died).Still sticking with Windows 7 Pro.

• edited September 2018

for me it was Windows xp sp2. i know im a much younger person but i still get nostalgia from windows 98/95/and NT/ME/2000/xp/any old windows. also my first PC was my dads old (hed used it for 5 years) aspire one mini notebook (i loved that it had an install service on it so at any time i could reinstall windows oohh the music!)

also my first memory i guess of using a PC at school was old (now) new (back then) imac you know the CRT ones. ahh the games we would play back when i was 5 then my second one was with windows xp running Dells with big CRTs oh the nostalgia!

• edited September 2018

My first OS was DOS 5 on a 286 that I got before it went to the trash. It had a EGA Color monitor and a 20MB hard disk.
    The most advanced user interface on this was an old version of norton commander, that wouldn't delete folders with subfolders/files...

After this I got a NCR 386 with Win 3.1, sadly with a black/white VGA monitor, the EGA was useless :(
    The Windows 95 experiment on this machine went totally bad, because of 8MB RAM and B/W screen.

On this 286 I started programming. I cant remember which was the first:

• the debug example from dos manual, that creates a hello world .com with hex-entry in debug.com
    • qbasic from dos 5.0
  • Windows XP Professional, when it was at SP1. Worked very well on an Athlon XP ~1.5 GHz with 512 MB RAM back in 2003. Around the same time I remember also using win98FE on my aunt's Compaq, not long before upgrading to a Dell with XP herself.

What I particularly remember about the former PC was a 3D aquarium screensaver, which alternated between daytime and nighttime modes, which I haven't been able to track down. Anyone know anything about it?

• @win32 said:
    Windows XP Professional, when it was at SP1. Worked very well on an Athlon XP ~1.5 GHz with 512 MB RAM back in 2003. Around the same time I remember also using win98FE on my aunt's Compaq, not long before upgrading to a Dell with XP herself.

What I particularly remember about the former PC was a 3D aquarium screensaver, which alternated between daytime and nighttime modes, which I haven't been able to track down. Anyone know anything about it?

Sounds like the XP Plus! Aquarium screen saver.

• My first OS is Windows 7... Started using in 2009. Don't ask why an windows 7. I was born too late for be able to use windows XP. I was 2 years old when started using windows 7...

• edited December 2018

In late 1983, my first PC was the Commodore 64 which had Commodore BASIC built in. I used it for years until the power supply stopped working.

Starting in early 1988, I used MS-DOS 3.2 as my first OS which came pre-installed on the Tandy 1000TX. The OS had a Tandy Graphics Adapter (TGA), a 286-based processor, 640 KB of RAM, two floppy drives and a 21 MB MFM hard drive.

Sadly, the Tandy 1000 TX was not 100% IBM compatible. Windows 2.03 was out at the time I got the PC and Windows 1.0x was still popular as well.