My IBM PS/2 Model 30 (8086) refuses to boot from IBM start-up diskette

I bought an IBM PS/2 Model 30 and I made 720K startup diskette, when I insert it in the drive, it shows this message: "non-system disk or disk error, replace the disk and press any key".

Comments

• edited August 2018

I wonder your IBM PS/2 Model 30 (8530) has HDD.
    I guess bootable system files (IBMBIO.COM / IBMDOS.COM) is Not included or can't be readable correctly.
    I recommend to try to boot with another diskette.
    (But if the result is same, your FDD may be problem.)

As you know IBM PS/2 8530 (8086) includes 720KB drive as default.

http://www.walshcomptech.com/selectpccbbs/30start.zip

Here is startup disk image of 720KB for IBM PS/2 8530 (8086)

• edited August 2018

What hardware/software did you use to make the floppy disk? What disk image did you use? Be aware that many USB floppy drives don't support 720k like they are supposed to.

Also, as ibmpc5150 mentioned, on PS/2 computers the floppy drive is a common point of failure. There is a high probability you will need to replace the surface mounted capacitors on the floppy drive before it will operate.

• @SomeGuy said:
    What hardware/software did you use to make the floppy disk? What disk image did you use? Be aware that many USB floppy drives don't support 720k like they are supposed to.

Also, as ibmpc5150 mentioned, on PS/2 computers the floppy drive is a common point of failure. There is a high probability you will need to replace the surface mounted capacitors on the floppy drive before it will operate.

I extracted the files from disk image via ultraiso, then I put the files on usb flash disk, then I put the usb flash disk into my old win 98 pc and copied the files to the diskette.

the drive works fine, when I was backing up some files it worked...

• edited August 2018

@Dipper184 said:
    I extracted the files from disk image via ultraiso, then I put the files on usb flash disk, then I put the usb flash disk into my old win 98 pc and copied the files to the diskette.

the drive works fine, when I was backing up some files it worked...

This won't work, because there's more on floppies than just plain files, especially on boot disks. For example there's the boot sector and a special filesystem layout.

The error presented to you means: The computer loads the boot sector from floppy, that tells which files are needed to boot. You copied valid system files, but the previously present boot sector doesn't match them ==> you need to transfer the disk as a whole, including the matching boot sector.

Solution:
    Please leave the image file as it is, transfer it onto your USB flash disk and install WinImage in the Win 98 PC. Then use WinImage on that machine to load the image file and write it to 720K "DD" floppy.

WinImage can be found here, choose a version like 7.00 that runs on Win 98:
    http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

If you don't have 720K floppies, you can try to reformat a 1440K floppy, but I'm not sure if that worked for PS/2s. Anyways, they sell refurbished DD floppies at Ebay.

Another hint:
    Windows 9x may corrupt boot sectors. Don't insert a floppy without write protection into the machine if you want to keep it original. DOS doesn't have this misbehaviour.