Read this if you can't download from Google Chrome

If you get errors like "Server Disallowed" when you attempt to download, do this:

(read ahead for the likely shortcut answer)

1. Search Google for "what is my ip address". Note what IP address is returned.
  2. Sign into your router or cable modem
  3. Verify the IP address returned from step 1 matches your WAN address.
  4. If it does, search IP address abuse 1.2.3.4 (put your IP in place of 1.2.3.4).
  5. If it does not, turn off Data Saver in Chrome:
    -three dots menu
    -settings
    -data saver

Try again. You'll be using your own IP instead of Google compression servers.

Comments

• Sounds like another reason to get off Chrome... thanks for this. If this gets enough attention, I'd like to see this pinned.

• Can others verify this works and report their results, please?

• I use Google Chrome, and all downloads work great for me, expect for how larger files may take longer to download, which is quite self-explanitory since I live in the northeastern part of United States, and WinWorld's download mirrors are located in Europe. But other than that, all of your files work fine for me in Chrome :)

• I've only ever seen this option in Chrome on Android. Are you downloading these files on a mobile device or chromebook?

• @BlueSun said:
    I've only ever seen this option in Chrome on Android. Are you downloading these files on a mobile device or chromebook?

Does sound a lot like mobile on data, i've never heard of any issues with Chrome considering i'd used it for years.

• @Skora said:

@BlueSun said:
    I've only ever seen this option in Chrome on Android. Are you downloading these files on a mobile device or chromebook?

Does sound a lot like mobile on data, i've never heard of any issues with Chrome considering i'd used it for years.

I never had an issue with Chrome on a computer. It's mostly if you're downloading it on mobile data or some random VPN.

• edited September 2018

@BlueSun said:

He's got to be downloading from WinWorld on a Windows PC, just like I do, because it's easier than downloading from my Chromebook, where when I open a certain ISO image, it would just say "Nothing to see here", even though there really is stuff in that disk image. But in Windows, it shows all the contents in disk image files.

• But there is no data saver option in Chrome on Windows.

• @JonathonWyble said:
    He's got to be [...] because it's easier

People do all sort of things for weird reasons. There's nothing in the post that gives a clue about what might be in use except the existence of the "Data Saver" feature.

According to Google, Data Saver is available by default on Android devices, as an extension on computers and not at all on iOS devices ("because of platform constraints").

• @BlueSun said:
    But there is no data saver option in Chrome on Windows.

yes there is I have it on my chrome in windows 10. But its actually optional , its a separate plugin for chrome that google has available.

• edited October 2018

@michaelweaser said:

@BlueSun said:
    But there is no data saver option in Chrome on Windows.

yes there is I have it on my chrome in windows 10. But its actually optional , its a separate plugin for chrome that google has available.

Yeah but there's no option unless you have the extension. But why would you have the extension installed if you're just going to disable the feature?

So this advice is only useful to other people that have this extension installed. Which is fine, but the original post is not worded that way. You make it sound as though everyone has this option, but they don't unless they also have the extension.

Also, you're having people check their publicly reported IP against the IP of the WAN interface on their router / firewall. Usually this is the same, but there are some cases where the ISP is using Carrier Grade NAT where this wouldn't be the case and it would have nothing to do with a data saver extension in their browser.

• edited October 2018

Here's why Data Saver causes problems with the download, for those interested in knowing why:

It pipes the contents of the pages you view through Google's servers, and compresses it there before sending it to you. However, chances are that said servers have multiple IP addresses and therefore route each request through a different IP depending on such factors as server load, etc. This causes download issues.