[Suggestion] Tutorials Forum

I have an idea of a forum category that could be on WinBoards/WinWorld Forums, and that is a forum where people can post tutorials or guides on computer-based stuff. Now, I know people could just use the other categories, like Hardware, Software, Video Games, or Programming, to post topics on how to do stuff with computers or software, but why not have a separate "Tutorials" forum to post howto topics in? With this forum category, we would not have to have a lot of howto topics and other types of topics crammed into each other in the categories we currently have on this forum. People can post tutorials or guides on computers, software, hardware, programming, or games on the Tutorials forum. So yes, that's my suggestion on a forum category we could maybe have on this forum.

Comments

• I like the idea. I would love a wiki :)

• You may write tutorials in the software section, if you really want to. If we ever were to get enough, we might create a sub section and move them there. Creating a section won't magically make people write tutorials.

• @sdose said:
    I like the idea. I would love a wiki :)

Agreed. But I don't think a Wiki would be needed on WinWorld since the library pretty much has the information about their downloads on the product pages.

@SomeGuy said:
    You may write tutorials in the software section, if you really want to. If we ever were to get enough, we might create a sub section and move them there. Creating a section won't magically make people write tutorials.

Like I said, I think a "Tutorials" forum would be a nice idea so that people can make "howto" topics on computer-based stuff, instead of cramming them all up in the Hardware, Software, Video Games, and Programming forums.

• It would be a good idea, but that's only if there's enough content solely focused on the one thing, as what SomeGuy said.

• @Bry89 said:
    It would be a good idea, but that's only if there's enough content solely focused on the one thing, as what SomeGuy said.

Well, what I mean by "tutorials" or "guides" is that people could just start their topics with words such as [Howto] or [Guide] and so on. For example, "[Howto] Get 256 Colors in Windows 9x in VirtualBox", or "[Guide] Howto Install Windows 95". Those type of topics.

• edited October 2018

@JonathonWyble said:

@sdose said:
    I like the idea. I would love a wiki :)

Agreed. But I don't think a Wiki would be needed on WinWorld since the library pretty much has the information about their downloads on the product pages.

Its not about that. It is about, that anyone can edit or work on articles. You may start a "DOS Networking" page, that can be expanded. Doing this in forums is a waste of effort. A forum is for talking, a wiki is for documenting.

//edit:
    For weeks now I have an unfinished article about DOS-networking on my disk. It is already quite a big text...
    Still missing screenshots and a lot of information and links. I want to post it here. The absence of a wiki is what is keeping me from posting an unfinished article to a thread that I can't edit anymore in 4 hours.

//edit 2:
    for example: https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/Mini2440 this is an article that I did years ago (not alone, but initiated and was the main author). It took me a few weeks for all this.
    No one will be going to do something expanded like this in a forum thread... Like I said, waste of effort.

• The main problem with that kind of wiki is that people can destroy any decent article. On the other hand a wiki that only certain people can edit could prevent some useful tips from being shared.

• In case there would be a wiki someday, it should be with registration only - maybe with the forum login, no winworld user is locked out. For vandalism the same as in the forum - delete user and revert to last good state of article - always possible.

I would love a wiki and would do a lot there.

• edited October 2018

I think that we're okay in terms of content; the only issue I see would be maintanence and vandal protection, because it's quite easy for someone to sign up, vandalize, and leave.

Perhaps it should first be invitation-only, but later on based on the number of good quality forum posts a user makes.

I have a few things in mind I can contribute for a wiki.

• @Erito17 said:
    because it's quite easy for someone to sign up, vandalize, and leave.

Especially when WinBoards itself had its problems with noobs already. I do agree with the invite-only aspect. Only the "cream of the crop" get the most priority.